Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

Post by reohn2 »

The fat commuter wrote:But it doesn't! It makes some cyclists into aggressive maniacs - not all of them. The problem being is that as more and more videos make their way into the public domain where a motorist has made a mistake and a cyclist goes out of their way to belittle them then the public will start t think that all helmet cam cyclists act that way, and then that all cyclists act that way.

Cameras have their use. Someone does something dangerous and the evidence can be supplied to the police and some form of education can be given and maybe some punishment. Whether this happens, we are not to know - I've heard some people say that it has happened and some say it hasn't.

However, what I see on the majority of these videos is a cyclist going out of their way to say that they are better than someone else. Yes, the driver made a mistake but is there a need to chase them down, wind them up to a state that they start making fools of themselves and then put that online? The 'Clown takes a pratfall' video comes to mind a lot in this mindset of winding up motorists. Yes, that fella in the Peugeot was a first class idiot but the cyclist knew after he had his first verbal encounter with him that the motorist was not going to back down. Why not be a bigger man and just forget about it there and then - you've made your point but it hasn't sunk in. Is there a need to goad the man so that he makes a fool of himself and then let the whole world see? What if that man had some past that the press got hold of that they turned against the holder of the video camera? Suppose the press make out he was a war hero from the first Iraq war who had suffered from psychological issues and anger problems - but had got over these through therapy and then this cyclist comes along and winds him up. It doesn't even have to be that true - once the press get hold of a tiny smell of a better story that will sell their papers then they will and mud will stick.

I get some close passes occasionally. I get motorists cutting in on me - usually I make a type of gesture of "astonishing was that all about?" Not any aggression towards the other driver. Sometimes after doing this the next driver that passes me will make a gesture at me in the tone of "Blummin' heck, that was close". In my mind, whilst the first motorist got away with it - but maybe he saw my gesture, the second motorist thought about things and he/she will give just that little bit extra thought around cyclists. Cloud cuckoo land - maybe. But going out of one's way to humiliate people or have heated arguments is bad for cyclists in general.

I totally agree,there are an element of camera wind up merchants,however as with bad/intimidatory drivers they tend to be in the minority,it's Youtube that's providing the stage.
*Story alert*
Last Friday within a mile of home toward the end of a hard ride,into a stiff headwind and slight uphill riding slowly at about 12mph.
Out of nowhere a blaring horn, I did a mirror check a Megan is closing me down fast at about 40mph and still leaning on the horn,then hits the brakes and overtakes with less than 30cm,nearer 20cm,I fend off the car with my right hand,more of a reaction than anything,he then drives past maybe 5m and slows right down to my speed,then slower.I'm not 'falling' for the brake jab trick and keep my distance.
By this time I'm blazing and flick him the fingers.I see two faces peering out of the rear window,the front passenger,a woman in her late 'teens early twenties and a similar aged male.
I continue to ride at a safe distance,he tries the brake jab trick but I'm to far from him for it to work.Another car approaches from behind and he boots it away.
Unfortunately I was so focused on staying safe I didn't get all the reg plate SH04B** Black Renault Megane.
Video footage may stop this moronic goon from doing it again,if the police were to 'have a word'.

Last year whilst riding in a cycle lane 50 to100m from a red TL,a White LWB Merc Sprinter cut me up clipping my right shoulder with his rear nearside corner and swerving into the cycle lane to do it,even though he had plenty of room to stay in his own lane.
I approached his nearside cab window(ehich was going down as got to it) and said(quite calmly)'what was all that about'.
His response was "I'M GOING TO F***ING KILL YOU WITH THIS VAN",whilst bouncing up and down in his driving seat,I invited him to do it without the van but he declined.
There then followed a tirade of abuse toward me so loud it attracted attention from other vehicles,he was third inline to the TL,I rode to the front of the queue and when the lights changed I sprinted across the junction to the safety of the opposite curb,which has 1m high bollards on the radius which carry on 20m up the road,so I knew I was safe.
I thought he'd drive off but no,he stopped and the tirade began again with threats to kill me.
I was stumped for a second or two then I said "you're on camera and I'm phoning the police",which I did,I had full vehicle details and driver description.
When I was phoned back the police said they'd interview him,they did but of course he told a pack of lies.

I still don't know what I did to provoke these incidents but I do know camera footage would've been irrefutable evidence of drivers deliberately using their vehicles as weapons and in the second incident verbal abuse that was very frightening at the time however hollow it's intent.

These are not isolated incidents in fact similar,though not as frightening,incidents happen quite regularly,I'm bewildered as to why and cannot begin to think how I cause them other than being a convenient whipping boy to bully.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I can't see a problem with goading a motorist into outbursts of temper as long as it is done legally and without abuse.

People who drive badly should expect others to let them know what they think of them, and if that involves winding up an idiot so he loses his rag then that's his fault, not the cyclist's.

We should ban people from driving if camera evidence shows they lose their temper and behave in a threatening way when annoyed by another road user, whether the annoyance is justified or not.

Bizarre fits of temper should be regarded as a medical condition which means your driving licence is revoked, just like epilepsy, poor eyesight or blacking out.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote: .....*Story alert*

.....I still don't know what I did to provoke these incidents but I do know camera footage would've been irrefutable evidence of drivers deliberately using their vehicles as weapons and in the second incident verbal abuse that was very frightening at the time however hollow it's intent.

These are not isolated incidents in fact similar,though not as frightening,incidents happen quite regularly,I'm bewildered as to why and cannot begin to think how I cause them other than being a convenient whipping boy to bully.

that is terrible. It is the kind of thing that makes some people want to give up cycling. I think that is why these morons behave that way; other road users are just an inconvenience to them that they would like to 'get rid of' by any means possible.

My story; I often ride with a helmet that has two small LED lights on it. I have another one which doesn't have the lights, and when I use that one, I reckon I get far more close passes etc (even if it is the same bike, same clothing otherwise etc the only other difference is that the helmets are different colours, but the lights, small though they are, are clearly visible in profile because they stick up).

The other day, an incident that demonstrated what may be going on; a van driver in a clearly signwritten van narrowly avoided hitting me when trying to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic on a narrow road; he braked at the last minute and was really very close to my rear wheel. This wasn't the worst carve-up I've ever had but he said something to me as he passed and then he stopped up the road in order to apologise to me. I can't remember this ever happening before, so either this chap was different to your usual van driver or (I think more likely) he thought my little lights were actually cameras, and he was maybe gonna lose his job if they were.

So my hypothesis is that if every motorist thinks that you have, (or might have) a camera on your helmet, their behaviour is modified, and most often, not in a bad way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
that is terrible. It is the kind of thing that makes some people want to give up cycling. I think that is why these morons behave that way; other road users are just an inconvenience to them that they would like to 'get rid of' by any means possible.

I'm sure your right,in fact I'm positive.

So my hypothesis is that if every motorist thinks that you have, (or might have) a camera on your helmet, their behaviour is modified, and most often, not in a bad way.

cheers

I've been thinking along those lines since the incident with Mr White Merc Sprinter.What I didn't mention in my previous post was that at the mention of a camera,pointing to my helmet,the driver clammed up and shot off,so the threat of exposure obviously had an impact.
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Sep 2015, 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:

I'm sure your right,in fact I'm positive.

cheers[/quote]
I've been thinking along those lines since the incident with Mr White Merc Sprinter.What I didn't mention in my previous post was that at the mention of a camera,pointing to my helmet,the driver clammed up and shot off,so the threat of exposure obviously had an impact.[/quote]

I have the opinion that cameras do save accidents

This evening at a pinch point and in Primary

Car still determined to overtake and force the way through

Smile, point at camera and for some reason he aborted the manoeuvre and meekly pulled in behind
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

If someone objected to cameras in shops I'd assume they were a frustrated shoplifter.

When some motorists object to cameras on our roads I assume they want their criminal behaviour and/or fits of temper to go unrecorded.

I wouldn't mind if every cyclist, driver and pedestrian had a headcam. Rules of the road are easy to understand and obey, and I am not inclined to fly into an uncontrolled and aggressive rage whenever someone annoys me.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

It's not just helmet cams that inflame road rage though. Speed cameras do it as well - to the extent that they're often vandalised, smashed down or set on fire. Dash cameras and police videos don't do it so it seems to me that it's vulnerability that inflames road rage rather than cameras themselves - aggressive motorists go for things that don't look able to defend themselves. Maybe that's why some cyclists seem to suffer regular road rage where others don't.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:If someone objected to cameras in shops I'd assume they were a frustrated shoplifter.

Not true for everybody. I dislike surveillance (CCTV everywhere) and I'm not a frustrated shoplifter (in fact not any type of shoplifter).

blackbike wrote:When some motorists object to cameras on our roads I assume they want their criminal behaviour and/or fits of temper to go unrecorded.

But I don't feel the same about (i.e. don't object to) cameras on roads (i.e. not speed cameras, etc.). And I appreciate that many of the same justifications could be used for both types of recording.

Ian
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Probably how the average driver thinks :wink: (contains strong language)

[youtube]L4A3Zxg-Cfg[/youtube]
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

maxcherry wrote:Probably how the average driver thinks :wink: (contains strong language)

I'm sorry, but if that's representative of the average anything then the word 'thinks' is entirely inappropriate.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I know you should never prejudge, but, just looking at the picture, and not even watching it, I did assume his wrists would be fairly close to the ground :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

maxcherry wrote:Probably how the average driver thinks :wink: (contains strong language)

Why did you post this?
It's a moron pretending to be funny by screaming expletives at a microphone attached to a video camera.
Neither is it probably how the average driver thinks :?
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Phil Fouracre wrote:I know you should never prejudge, but, just looking at the picture, and not even watching it, I did assume his wrists would be fairly close to the ground :-)

Must've spent ages shaving all the hair off his face....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Back on topic - well, sort of. It's nice to hear that helmet-cams/dash-cams, and the like, are there for exciting and interesting events, and not only for crashes, aggro and road rage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DubWcy5Ohcw
I like the way the motorcyclist filming, waves his left hand in apparent astonishment.

You probably remember the Chelyabinsk meteor a couple of years ago, widely captured on many motorists' cameras (did any cyclists get it, I wonder?). As a result, astronomers learned a lot about exactly how it exploded, were able to pinpoint the exact site where the meteorite landed, and recover fragments of it. At Chelyabinsk, many people were injured, mostly by glass falling from broken windows. Hopefully this latest fireball over Bangkok won't have caused any deaths or serious injuries. Anyway, expect more videos to come pouring in on the 'tube..... :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

He sounds like Dom Joly when he does that "Hello, I'm in an art gallery, nah its rubbish" with the gigantic mobile phone.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.