Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
maxcherry

Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

Post by maxcherry »

It had to happen. The reason there are so many road rage incidents against cyclist is because of helmet cams and not the fact that there was
road rage incidents before only the cyclist never had a cam to record the incident and the police would not do anything without proof (or if the cyclist bothered reporting the incident in the first place).

Seems the CTC are joining in with the next issue of the Magazine on how to video correctly to get evidence and as usual the Police don't say much :roll:

Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road Rage Incidents, Motoring Body Claims As It Brands Cyclists 'Self-Righteous'

Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08 ... _hp_ref=uk
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Elizabethsdad

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I got a helmet cam some years back after I was subjected to a road rage attack by a motorist. I had cause to report a few incidents of dangerous driving but most of these were ignored. I haven't used it recently - new jobs meant different commutes on generally agro free roads. My current commute is only a mile and half and as I am riding a bright eight and a half foot long cargo bike I don't even feel the need to wear a helmet. Still get the odd bit of abuse but nothing worth mentioning.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I don't have a helmet camera for the simple reason that I don't wear a h****t (but please don't let's make this a 'lid' debate!). So my camera sits on my handlebar. It's probably less conspicuous there, and possibly people may think it's a lamp. The downside is, it doesn't turn with my head so it doesn't always 'see' what my eyes see. Also, it picks up more road noise.

Anyway, no aggro thus far, not even any reportable incident (apart from a smoke-emitting bus which I reported to the bus company - no response :( ).

If I were involved in an 'incident', the last thing I'd want to do is draw attention to my camera. That's for later, and the police, if they're involved and interested. Or Youtube if it's a minor infraction. If the offender notices the camera and makes an issue of it, too bad. Many motorists now use dashcams anyway, it's not just cyclists...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From the linked article"
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/29/cyclists-with-helmet-cams-blamed-for-inflaming-road-rage-incidents_n_8042730.html?utm_hp_ref=uk wrote:Stephen Perrin uploaded a video in 2013, which showed him being knocked off his bike, and repeatedly punched by a van driver in Birmingham. While not charged by police the motorist involved suffered unduly in the court of public opinion after being identified by locals.

Perrin told The Guardian at the time: "I put the video online because it needs to be seen, but the grief he and his family have got since from trolls and the like disgusts me."

The consequences of the driver's actions got "out of hand" after former Olympic champion Chris Boardman saw the video and passed on the link to his 80,000 Twitter followers, querying why police didn't lay charges. The motorist was made to apologise to Perrin and pay him compensation.

Perrin said: "The driver has a small business and I don't want to see him run out of town because of the abuse he's getting. Obviously what he did that day was his fault and I do feel there should have been criminal consequences for it, but a few idiots online always take things too far."

Thinking about this incident, I suspect things would have gone far better had the Police actually done something (e.g. prosecute, court, punish the guilty). That they do nothing means the victim feels bad and seeks reassurance of others that they were not in the wrong, that they were hard done by, etc. To my mind, this particular incident where the "trial by social media" made life nasty for the perpetrator was probably caused by the Police deciding to do nothing (even when it sounds like they had good evidence of the assault). Let the courts select a punishment and people feel justice has happened (even if they think the sentencing wrong). Let the attacker off without even a "day in court" and victim(s) feel(s) aggrieved.

Ian
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

I suggest all read

http://www.abd.org.uk/

an organisation, that denies climate change, is against the lowering of drink-drive limits etc. etc.

Huffington Post should really take more notice of the origins of press releases!
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Must be a quiet news day.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I'd agree with most of what is said in the Huffington Post article.

The other night I was at a loose end and spent a few hours surfing around YouTube looking at the cycling videos. The main observations I made was that some cyclists seem to have much more bad luck than the average cyclist. I do wonder whether some of the cyclists that have all this bad luck actually go out looking for it. I'm not talking about the fella who got assaulted for what appeared to be an unprovoked assault on the cyclist. However, the UphillFreeWheeler fella, having looked at his other videos - he is a wind-up merchant.

A few years ago, when I drove my car I used to drive like the majority of other drivers in a busy city like Sheffield. I was aggressive and the piece of road that I was on was MY piece of road. How dare someone pull out in front of me - the fact that if I just eased off the loud pedal meant that someone could pull out quite easily, however I wouldn't ease off. When I started walking home from work I'd walk past a roundabout called University Roundabout - the A57 meets the A61 plus another side road. I've stood there and watched people on that roundabout with the same mentality that I had. Mothers with children in the back, pensioners, people that you wouldn't expect would have a red mist in front of their eyes as soon as they entered the roundabout. They would speed up just so that they could give a blast on the horn at someone else. Now when I drive I tend to drive with a more light hearted manner - an inner feeling of peace, so to say. My drive is much more relaxed and I can't remember the last time that I had an 'incident'.

I think that I ride my bike the same way that I now drive. It could be that some cars cut in too quickly on me after overtaking - but easing back means that I am kept safe. I may still get the occasional close pass but what good is chasing after a car and then ranting and raving going to do? If I were to do that, what is the car driver behind me going to remember - me effing away or the person who has performed the close pass? However, I'm sure that some following car drivers do notice close passes and respect me more when I don't react adversely to bad driving from drivers. I also know where the hot spots are on my journey - the places where cars and bikes don't mix as well and I'm more careful. If I really wanted I could try and cause conflict at these points.

Anyway, long story but I do wonder whether some (not all) of these cyclists with head cams do go out of their way to cause conflict and some motorists have noticed this and are getting a bit peeved off with all cyclists with head cams.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

I agree, some are either looking for conflict or blow up big time when something happens. Only a minority of cyclists fall into this group but they are a very loud minority.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Nah - motorists just don't like the thought that their behaviour - which they recognise as unsanctionable - is available for others to view.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

There's one bloke on YouTube, I can't remember his name, who has a cam and you hear him shouting out the registration number of every car that passes him at what he thinks is too close a distance. He then hares after them, and if he catches them at lights etc he remonstrates with them and shouts like a nutter that they can't drive and that "you're on camera mate, go on, keep going, you're on camera". Sometimes I think some people do bring it on themselves.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:There's one bloke on YouTube, I can't remember his name, who has a cam and you hear him shouting out the registration number of every car that passes him at what he thinks is too close a distance. He then hares after them, and if he catches them at lights etc he remonstrates with them and shouts like a nutter that they can't drive and that "you're on camera mate, go on, keep going, you're on camera". Sometimes I think some people do bring it on themselves.

Yes, motorists do - as a group they have clearly threatened that person's safety several times too often. (Oh, but they're not a group, neither a camera users)

If only we could agree on a group of people who could go out onto the roads and, when they observe poor behaviour they could talk to the people, and point out the dangers of their behaviour. If it happens again they could make sure it's the same person and present the evidence of repeated poor behaviour to an independent group who would then decide on appropriate action - maybe removing lethal weapons for a while...
We could call them the police, and the second group could be the courts.

Oh wait a moment...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Everyone has the right to be selfish with the right to be self-righteous, right?
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps I should get into the habit of posting up on the 'tube, the number of positive encounters I have with other road users. Like the times when an approaching motorist on a narrow lane slows and pulls over to give me more space - and then acknowledges my wave of thanks. This happens plenty of times - I'm sure I have footage.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

661-Pete wrote:Perhaps I should get into the habit of posting up on the 'tube, the number of positive encounters I have with other road users. Like the times when an approaching motorist on a narrow lane slows and pulls over to give me more space - and then acknowledges my wave of thanks. This happens plenty of times - I'm sure I have footage.

I've been struck by the notably increased frequency of that particular behaviour over the last two or three years - seemed to start with the 'annus mirabilis' of 2012.
beardy

Post by beardy »

The main observations I made was that some cyclists seem to have much more bad luck than the average cyclist. I do wonder whether some of the cyclists that have all this bad luck actually go out looking for it.

After incidents I have considered a camera but the incidents are too few and far between that I have never actually been driven to buy and fit one. If I lived somewhere where it happened more frequently, then I would have bought one.
If I had to do a regular commute in a hostile environment then I am sure I would get more agro and have a camera fitted by now.

Of course a lot of agro can be avoided by accepting a second-class status and always yielding to cars inherent priority despite any road markings or signs which clearly state the priority is for the cyclist.