losing the stabilisers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

losing the stabilisers

Post by Vantage »

One month until her 9th birthday and my youngest has finally taken to two wheels!

Her mum hasn't been too helpful in this challenge as telling Erin the reason she couldn't stay upright was because of her talpies condition. Way to knock a little girls confidence. Pfft!
I removed and binned those stupid troublesome training wheels over a month ago as I had come to the conclusion that they were just a hindrance. Several attempts in the past at getting her to balance with them on but bent up had been marred as the wheels inevitably hit the ground and sent the bike in all sorts of directions. Needless to say, removing them had the effect that she wouldn't go near the bike as she feared falling off. Erin decided to give it another go last week after discovering that her younger cousin had lost his stabilisers and that if he could do it, so could she.
The two girls and I met my sister and her two boys at Queens Park at 11am and after she watched Sam racing off she was raring to go. I have to say, pushing my little girl and letting go of her was one of the scariest things I've ever done. Watching in horror as she sped away toward the bushes. Yep, she crashed into them. But up until that point, she was on two wheels. The return trip was halted by boggy grass and that had her off again. Third time she only hit the grass when she stopped via the brakes.
Now it was time to get her to take off on her own. I had difficulty explaining this one so it was left to her 5 yr old cousin to explain and demonstrate that procedure. This was only his second day of riding since losing those wretched stabilisers.
By 1pm the pair of them were riding all over the park with the biggest smiles you could imagine. Ice creams all round was the topping to the cake. Brilliant day. Proud daddy :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/paNyZN9dsME

https://youtu.be/qWmK8mgmlNs

Erin is now planning on touring with me next year with the condition that her panniers are pink and that her buildabear How To Train Your Dragon Toothless dragon does the navigating from her pink princess bar bag. Seems reasonable to me :D

Ps. If anyone knows of any bikability type ccourses in the Bolton or Darwen areas I'd love to hear about them. The local councils of these areas Web pages are completely useless in this search.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Re: losing the stabilisers

Post by mercalia »

nice story. I remember the first time I became independant on my little black bike. My dad would walk holding the seat as I rode then bit by bit releasing hold or putting back hand.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well done! You should be looking forward to the years to come when she'll be dropping you on the sprints and the climbs!

I remember, I never had stabilisers, I graduated straight from tricycle to two wheels and I'm fairly sure I mastered the balance thing and was riding confidently on the road, within less than a day. I remember my mother coming home from work and being amazed at the progress I'd made. I would have been about eight or nine at the time. My sister took a while longer, she had been on stabilisers. I have in my possession some charming 8mm footage of her first attempts, not very successful, at starting herself going on two wheels for the first time. Eventually, as the film shows, she made it, albeit rather wobbly.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, stabilisers are the brew of the devil. I think that it's easier to teach a child whose never used them than one who has.

Well done Vantage, good work.

For those approaching the task of teaching their child to balance there is quite a good page and video here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/guide/teach-child-ride-bike
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

One of the best parts of New Forest Cycling is, when spurred by the other kids on the campsite, a child sets off on their own around the campsite under their own steam.

Check out Bolton hot wheels or Ribble Valley Juniors. Pity it is this end of the summer that your little one has taken off by herself. Ribble Juniors have Tuesday evening track sessions at the Preston Arena where bike handling skills are taught. Alternatively on non-match days there are plenty of cones and space on Bolton Wanderers car park.....

http://rvjuniors.co.uk/

http://www.boltonhotwheelscc.org.uk/
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

What do they call those kids' bikes which, whilst shaped like a conventional bike, come without pedals or drive train, the child simply pushes himself or herself along Draisienne-fashion? Sounds like a good way to get a child started on two wheels. Sooner or later the child, coming to a slight incline, will discover that they can pick up a bit of speed if they tuck their legs up. And the balancing thing will come automatically!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Balance bikes.
Saw a few kiddies on them at the park. They seemed to be working. Erins first bike was a balance bike that was given to me after a friends children outgrew it. Erin wouldn't ride it because it was blue and therefor a boys bike. Silly me :lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hondated

Post by hondated »

[quote="Vantage"]One month until her 9th birthday and my youngest has finally taken to two wheels!

Her mum hasn't been too helpful in this challenge as telling Erin the reason she couldn't stay upright was because of her talpies condition. Way to knock a little girls confidence. Pfft!
I removed and binned those stupid troublesome training wheels over a month ago as I had come to the conclusion that they were just a hindrance. Several attempts in the past at getting her to balance with them on but bent up had been marred as the wheels inevitably hit the ground and sent the bike in all sorts of directions. Needless to say, removing them had the effect that she wouldn't go near the bike as she feared falling off. Erin decided to give it another go last week after discovering that her younger cousin had lost his stabilisers and that if he could do it, so could she.
The two girls and I met my sister and her two boys at Queens Park at 11am and after she watched Sam racing off she was raring to go. I have to say, pushing my little girl and letting go of her was one of the scariest things I've ever done. Watching in horror as she sped away toward the bushes. Yep, she crashed into them. But up until that point, she was on two wheels. The return trip was halted by boggy grass and that had her off again. Third time she only hit the grass when she stopped via the brakes.
Now it was time to get her to take off on her own. I had difficulty explaining this one so it was left to her 5 yr old cousin to explain and demonstrate that procedure. This was only his second day of riding since losing those wretched stabilisers.
By 1pm the pair of them were riding all over the park with the biggest smiles you could imagine. Ice creams all round was the topping to the cake. Brilliant day. Proud daddy :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/paNyZN9dsME

https://youtu.be/qWmK8mgmlNs

Erin is now planning on touring with me next year with the condition that her panniers are pink and that her buildabear How To Train Your Dragon Toothless dragon does the navigating from her pink princess bar bag. Seems reasonable to me :D

Ps. If anyone knows of any bikability type ccourses in the Bolton or Darwen areas I'd love to hear about them. The local councils of these areas Web pages are completely useless in this search.[/quote
Great story that reminds me of how quickly my three grandsons shed their stabilisers. Its also great to know that there will be another two youngsters continuing on what we all love doing to hopefully well into the future.