Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
onlyconnect

Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

Post by onlyconnect »

I live near Beeston, Notts, where a new tram route has just opened. I cycle regularly down part of the tram route, Chilwell High Road. This is a narrow road that is busy during the day. I am not really happy with the idea of being overtaken by a tram on this road as there is so little space between tram and kerb, here is a pic:

Still, I'm also interested in what happens at stations where the tram is right up against the platform. Clearly if you cycle through a station the tram will have to follow you. The planners decided it would be better if bikes left the road at this point and mount the pavement. Here is the beginning of the bike route going east:

The problem here is that the cycle route takes you in front of shops, the one time I went up there someone came out of a shop not looking (why should she?) and I nearly hit her.
Here is the exit point, as you can see you are meant to give way.

and here is the same point looking west:

Now let's look at the same journey going east to west. This is where you are meant to mount the pavement. No path marked this time other than the blue sign indicating that pedestrians and bikes travel in harmony here:

The road can get quite congested here (this is a quiet evening, not rush hour):

OK, so having mounted the pavement you cross a side road, then there is a shaded area for bikes (I presume) just where those people are walking:

Then you cross another side road

before arriving at the give way point to get back on the road:

My problem here is that I turn right shortly after this point, for which manoeuvre I need to be in the centre of the road, the only safe place is on the white hatchings. This is where I turn right:

It is not easy to get to the right point on the road if there is traffic. It is not so bad if you stay on the road as you can clearly signal and move across at an appropriate moment.

My questions: first, I would be interested to know what you experts think of this particular scheme.

Second, am I entitled to simply ride along the road like a car? I feel that at 15mph or more it is not really holding anybody up if the tram or a car has to follow you for a short distance.

To be honest, I am not sure that it is safe either on the bike lanes or on the road. Unfortunately there isn't a sensible alternative route.
Tim
Slowroad

Re: Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

Post by Slowroad »

I recently posted about a new cycle path in north Nottingham and got lots of advice on here. I also emailed the city council and they are going to get back to me, I'm not the only one who has pointed out that it's a bit rubbish!
Lots of us have concerns about the new tram routes, I've been on the route you describe in excellent detail and agree that it's unclear what cyclists re supposed to do, and it puts us into potential conflict with pedestrians. It's definitely worth contacting the county council and the tram people - it'll take them a while to get back to you but the more people who point out problems, the more likely things might be done.
What can be done at this stage is something else! :roll: We all know the whole thing was rushed through and the design could have been way more cycle-friendly...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
PH

Post by PH »

Sorry I have no advice, I'm just glad that's not my commute, the only place I'd feel safe on that road is straight down the middle and and that would probably attract plenty of abuse.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I agree, I have cycled down that road many times and the best way I have found is to cycle between the tracks. You can then cycle down the road ok but you have to keep in mind that swerving to avoid anything is not an option.
If you cycle to the left of them then you can't get through the stops and if you cycle to the right of them cars will try to under-take you.

btw - there has been a lot of discussion as you can imagine on how to tackle tram tracks, I think there is a lot of confusion because the experiences of people who tend to cycle at around 5mph will be very different to someone who tends to cycle at higher speeds. At low speed you can often get away with crossing at narrow angles etc. but once you are cycling at any kind of speed I would suggest you treat them exactly as you would treat ice (especially when wet). It is not just the gap which is the danger, do not let your tyre anywhere near the metal.

I have yet to find a way to safely tackle either end of this road where you have to cross the tracks. Any attempt to try and cross them at near right angles results in my experience with the car behind me getting confused/impatient and trying to overtake resulting in a near miss. There is the facility to go up on to the pavement but not very practical in my opinion.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Excellent post. How has this come to be? Totally inept.

When I asked about similar problems in the centre of the city I was told just to cycle in the middle of the tram lines. My speed will not be your speed: uphill, 8mph. Obviously I don't want to hold up the tram,but what else can you do? I hope the authorities have told the tram drivers about this.

Pathetic
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

A case of bike provision not fit for purpose - unless the purpose is to legislate bikes off the road. I know one or two people who have come a ccropper on roads with tram tracks - they are not the cyclists best friend.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I wonder what else could they have done in the space available other than make no cycle lanes.

Nottingham once had a tram network then they replaced it with trolley buses then replaced them with ordinary buses now they've built a tram system again but nowhere near as extensive as the original one. When will they make their minds up? For a quiet and pollution free city transport system the trolley bus seems a better as all that's needed are the overhead power lines.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Cyclists largely forgotten or made to feel very much like second class citizens, and this whole project cost £570 million :shock: . I'm just glad that I live on the east side of Nottingham and don't have to deal with tram lines.

Nottingham City Council pride themselves on being cycle friendly, but in practice they are not. I suggest you contact Councillor Jane Urqhart with your concerns, though I don't see what can be done now the whole thing is finished.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I think the problem is that the people who plan and design transport networks are generally not cyclists and have no understanding of the needs of cyclists. I live 15 miles southwest of Nottingham and I have commuted from home to work but this was via Trent Lock and the canal towpath and cycle path via Attenborough and Beeston Marina then canal to the City.
boliston

Post by boliston »

Even though I cycle I would much rather see trams than busses in cities as a lot of people regard buses as an "inferior" form of transport so stick with their cars, but trams don't seem to have the same sort of poor image that busses have and they are much more pleasant to use than busses.

I notice in many continental towns there are a lot of trams AND a lot of cyclists so it shows that the two can happily co-exist.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Given that this was the 2nd phase of tram line building in Nottingham (the first being several years ago) you would have thought that they had learned the lessons from Line 1 with regard to cycle provision, but it seems not.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

TrevA wrote:Given that this was the 2nd phase of tram line building in Nottingham (the first being several years ago) you would have thought that they had learned the lessons from Line 1 with regard to cycle provision, but it seems not.

More than several years ago , it started in 1877.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I meant Line One to Hucknall and Phoenix Park, which opened in 2004, I think.

I'm not old enough to remember the original trams, though can remember trolley buses.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

TrevA wrote:I meant Line One to Hucknall and Phoenix Park, which opened in 2004, I think.

I'm not old enough to remember the original trams, though can remember trolley buses.

I liked them - 6 wheelers as I recall

GarySmerdonwhite

Post by GarySmerdonwhite »

Hi – to respond to Tim’s questions.

RideWise have been involved in consultations about tram routes and particularly helping cyclists ride safely around and through the tram tracks. The objective of the planners has been to provide a route for people less confident and competent on a bike (Route B) without taking away the option to travel on road to the more confident (Route A).

There are some excelent additions to the cycling network that have come with the tram but as Tim’s photos show, at times the objective to have a Route B does make for some interesting situations for pedestrians and cyclists. The cyclists will need to be vigilant of the various types of pedestrian situations they might encounter when on the shared paths and road hazards when leaving the shared path. Alternatives away from the High Road are being explored and this might help the less confident cyclist just passing through. Route B does not have to be followed

We have provided training by accredited cycle instructors to adults and local schools near the tram tracks in Broxtowe Borough. Some advice gets covered within the Tramlink Video see http://www.thetram.net/latest-news/1/tr ... fety-tips/

However all our training is based on cyclists rights embedded within the Highway Code – especially to take centre lane (often called primary position but Tim calls it riding like a car which is exactly what it is) when the road narrows or when manoeuvring through or turning at junctions and crossroads. In addition take care and concentrate around the tracks and determine what your road position/line will be well in advance of making the manoeuvre.

We agree with Tim that one of the safest places for a confident cyclist is between the tram lines - for the same reason as him about tram speed and stopping plus it means you are in the best position for manoeuvres. Incidentally we are told tram and bus drivers locally have been trained to understand about primary position and the Highway Code gives us the same right as any road user to hold up other traffic until it is safe for other road users to overtake. Personally I’d recommend he stay in the middle of the tram tracks until clear to go when making a right turn. Going into the hatched area might bring him into conflict with oncoming motorised traffic but it would depend on the on road situation at that time – I’ve done both.

The next session for Tram Track training / information is this Saturday 5th September, 10.00 am to 4.00 pm at Tesco, Swiney Way, Toton, NG9 6QX. We aim to run more sessions