Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kuba

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

Post by kuba »

kwackers wrote:Which proves nothing other than she was confident the video showed she did nothing wrong otherwise she wouldn't have handed it in - so why does that prove my point wrong? Nobody hands over video footage that is self incriminating.

Neither did she. She reported an assault and handed over the footage, that's all we know. The rest is all speculation and also victim-blaming, and the facts you got wrong are up this thread. And pls stop citing HC rules I said nothing about like I don't know them.

Psamathe wrote:But it does make one wonder what they have been doing to find the guy since May.

Reasons may have been cynical like you say, though in quite a few recent cases of sexual assaults I recall CCTV footage was only released months after the incident with the same explanation. If it was me I'd be in two minds whether to agree for the footage to go public, given it earns you all sorts of comments about your cycling abilities etc., even on a forum like this.
irc

Post by irc »

reohn2 wrote:Do we as a society want to be under threat of violence on the street,with only any urgency afforded to those victims who have been seriously injured,due to resources being evermore limited because we don't value a safe,secure environment enough to pay more taxes for better policing?

Not sure policing is the answer. It can work in some areas. For example Glasgow City Centre had a serious violence problem involving neds from different areas of the city going in at weekends tooled up. A big push with large numbers of police drafted in from elsewhere in the city doing loads of stop/searches brought it under control. Two problems though. First, it would be prohibitively expensive to have that level of policing everywhere. Second, there is currently complaints in the press about the number of stop searches being done by Police Scotland.

Then there is the fact that much random violence is committed by a relatively small number of thugs to whom fines and community service are not deterrents. Even jail sentences don't cure then though at least when they are in jail the public is safe from them. Sadly most thugs are released on bail by the courts before trail and have the chance to continue as usual meantime. Crimes up to and including murders committed on bail are frequent.

Maxwell had been given interim bail from the High Court after appealing a 32-month sentence for stabbing a man three times and Smith was on bail for alleged assault and robbery and allegedly having a pronged fork in his possession.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/t ... -1-1902388

IMO the most cost effective measure would be making bail harder to get for crimes of violence.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

kuba wrote:Neither did she. She reported an assault and handed over the footage, that's all we know. The rest is all speculation and also victim-blaming, and the facts you got wrong are up this thread. And pls stop citing HC rules I said nothing about like I don't know them.

If you think I'm victim blaming then you've completely missed the point of everything I was saying. Likewise the reason I reiterate the HYC is to actually make the point in the first place (since you failed to address my point and instead focussed on trivia).

TBH I find the entire cyclists whining about being badly done to on the roads and then going out and doing exactly the same themselves just a little grating.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

irc wrote: .......IMO the most cost effective measure would be making bail harder to get for crimes of violence.

Agreed.

My mentioning more policing isn't a case of a cop on every street corner but more a case of more resources to catch those who commit offences and having caught them make sure there's less chance of them committing offences in the future,this means rehabilitation alongside punishment.
As it is IMHO it's poor at best ATM.

But first the criminals need catching.
If people didn't think they'de get away with it or if the 'time' was too harsh,they wouldn't commit the crime.
Once the habit's broken society improves,I suffer no illusion that crime can be wiped out completely,but,video camera's aside,it can be minimised,as it is it's a free for all,especially in cases like in the OP.
TBH IMO it's a sad day when I'm thinking of buying a video camera to use as some sort record to report the constant bad and dangerous driving I encounter almost everytime I ride my bike.
To think there's a possibility that threat may also come from pedestrians is worrying,though TBH I,like you,am 6ft tall and so at least have a 'presence' so pedestrian attack is reduced enough for me not to worry about,but if I were 5ft 4in and female I may have a different outlook.
I find UK society aggressive across the spectrum but mostly on the roads,I find that a sad state of affairs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:TBH I find the entire cyclists whining about being badly done to on the roads and then going out and doing exactly the same themselves just a little grating.

TBF in this case that's marginal at best,and there's a lot of grey in the initial encounter IMO.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:...
TBH IMO it's a sad day when I'm thinking of buying a video camera to use as some sort record to report the constant bad and dangerous driving I encounter almost everytime I ride my bike....

What I can't understand is if you are seeing it so often (I do as well), I would expect Police Officers to be seeing it as well. So why aren't they doing anything about it ? "Plain closed" Police car out on the road for 30 mins would probably see several cases of driving justifying at least pulling the driver over. I suspect they may no longer be motivated. I can maybe guess why but it would be guesswork so probably not helpful.

Ian
kuba

Post by kuba »

kwackers wrote:TBH I find the entire cyclists whining about being badly done to on the roads and then going out and doing exactly the same themselves just a little grating.

Me too, but not sure why you even say it in this thread other than to blame, or at best discredit, the victim of a violent crime. I won't even comment on her having done "exactly the same" as you're clearly seeing things that I'm not.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:TBF in this case that's marginal at best,and there's a lot of grey in the initial encounter IMO.

I'm not sure there is.
The "please don't try to knock me off" comment is an indication she knew a collision was possible. She had all the time to say that but no time to consider braking?
Then she obviously thought a near collision had occurred otherwise why shake her head? Taking into account the wide angle lens then she was obviously pretty close. (And the ped obviously thought she'd given him the finger).

Sorry, all smacks to me of the same sort of attitude we (quite rightly) condemn drivers for but somehow because we're on a bike they're OK?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are an awful lot of conclusions drawn from very limited information...

We don't know why she didn't wait for the pedestrian to cross. It might have been polite, but he had a 'red man'. That she said 'please don't try to knock me off' may be an indication that she knew a collision was possible. It may also be an indication of something she noticed about the pedestrian that isn't obvious on the video. Or perhaps he said something that isn't audible. In the situation, I might have thought that the pedestrian was waiting and would step out after the cyclist passed. Maybe that's what she expected. That he stepped out before may have been intimidating to the cyclist, and could explain what she said?

As for shaking her head? I do it at least once per ride, usually when other road users have done something I don't like. Maybe she had an insect in her hair? Without asking the cyclist for her explanantion, we cannot explain why she she shook her head.

I have difficulty correlating what happened in this inicdent with how motorists treat me. She was going maybe 8 mph? It certainly wasn't very fast. Maybe she did brake. Just because there wasn't video of evidence of a hard decelleration doesn't mean she didn't brake, either before the published portion of the video starts, or even (albeit gently) during the video. And the pedestrian stepped out almost into her (against a red man) when he could clearly see their trajectories put them on a possible collision course. Then he assaults her. And yet her behaviour smacks of attitude?

I guess that just shows that people have very different perspectives on things.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cicatriz

Post by cicatriz »

Psamathe wrote:What I can't understand is if you are seeing it so often (I do as well), I would expect Police Officers to be seeing it as well. So why aren't they doing anything about it ? "Plain closed" Police car out on the road for 30 mins would probably see several cases of driving justifying at least pulling the driver over. I suspect they may no longer be motivated. I can maybe guess why but it would be guesswork so probably not helpful.

Ian

Probably for the same reason as this: http://road.cc/content/news/162315-police-chief-writes-cyclist-explain-why-he-cant-investigate-crash

Although having read the comments of the Chief Constable, I would like to see a list of priorities to determine which criminal acts are now tacitly decriminalised. Just out of curiosity, of course.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:TBF in this case that's marginal at best,and there's a lot of grey in the initial encounter IMO.

I'm not sure there is.
The "please don't try to knock me off" comment is an indication she knew a collision was possible. She had all the time to say that but no time to consider braking?
Then she obviously thought a near collision had occurred otherwise why shake her head? Taking into account the wide angle lens then she was obviously pretty close. (And the ped obviously thought she'd given him the finger).

Sorry, all smacks to me of the same sort of attitude we (quite rightly) condemn drivers for but somehow because we're on a bike they're OK?

Vorpal's post above about sums it up,the cyclist was no threat IMO the aggressor is the pedestrian,end of.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:...
TBH IMO it's a sad day when I'm thinking of buying a video camera to use as some sort record to report the constant bad and dangerous driving I encounter almost everytime I ride my bike....

What I can't understand is if you are seeing it so often (I do as well), I would expect Police Officers to be seeing it as well. So why aren't they doing anything about it ? "Plain closed" Police car out on the road for 30 mins would probably see several cases of driving justifying at least pulling the driver over. I suspect they may no longer be motivated. I can maybe guess why but it would be guesswork so probably not helpful.

Ian

For the same reason thay don't stand in plain clothes at TL's booking drivers using mobile phones,or booking people parking dangerously.Because the motorist is a cash cow any fule noe that :roll: :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cicatriz wrote:
Probably for the same reason as this: http://road.cc/content/news/162315-police-chief-writes-cyclist-explain-why-he-cant-investigate-crash

Although having read the comments of the Chief Constable, I would like to see a list of priorities to determine which criminal acts are now tacitly decriminalised. Just out of curiosity, of course.

And which sends out the message that cyclists are fair game,if a motorist knocks a cyclist off it's OK don't worry no one will investigate,so you're free to carry on as before.

BTW,I heard this particular Chief Constable say on local news some time ago that the budget cuts to his force wouldn't reduce the effectiveness of policing :roll:
Yeah right Sir Peter Fahy,I'll believe you,though thousands wouldn't :? .
Policing in GM and Cheshire if you're a cyclist is a joke IME,the link reinforces that belief :twisted:
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

You "mag" lol. London. :roll:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manc33 wrote:You "mag" lol. London. :roll:

? :?
W H Auden