Shame more don't take this stance with traffic offences.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Shame more don't take this stance with traffic offences.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Off the top of my head there is the road near Kirby Lonsdale that is popular with motorcyclists. It has stretches that TBH worry me without overtaking due to the road bends and the bikers (some think they are on a raceway not a B road). To overtake anything on that stretch needs you to be sure. You can't because you can not look over hedges. Plus the cyclists on that stretch tend to be pretty fast average speed cyclists not bimblers. The bendy bit, from memory, is about 2 or probably more miles long.

My local road has a about a mile to mile and a half where there is either double white lines, single white lines without enough dashed line length to overtake if the biker is fast or with those hatched areas which IIRC are legally equivalent to double white lines. That often results in sitting back in the car.

I have driven behind cyclists in the Dales too where you are sat there for quite some time too (unless you want to take a chance that is). Perhaps I have never had a decent car and the ability to overtake quickly is less with them than your car but I prefer not to take too much of a chance which means sitting back for longer than perhaps you do.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Which roads?
I ride and driver out KL and around that area,I still can't think of one road that I'd get stuck behind a cyclist for more than 1/2 a mile at most.
TBH If I'm holding up traffic for the kind of distances you mention I'd stop and wave them past.
I also find that if I'm travelling pretty quick,say on a long descent on the bike on narrow roads like the ones you mention,a car in front can be a boon for keeping the road clear in front :)

I agree though some motorcyclists can be a bit scary at w/ends in that neck of the woods.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PRL

Post by PRL »

[quote="Tangled Metal"]I I wonder if in time there will be a means to prevent cars starting without a valid licence? Imagine that your driver's key had the state of your licence programmed in so the car can check if you are allowed to drive before starting. Or perhaps a key and separate licence slot. Without both the car won't start. Reckon the technology is there. I mean that licence could also contain your insurance details and the state of the car's MOT certificate. If you do not have all these things in place the car won't start. Add in breathalizer and you might cut a few problems with the current system...might![/quote ]

Sounds good to me. It would probably have to be agreed at the EU level so worth hassling your MEP.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

reohn2 wrote:TM
Which road is that,I'd be interested to know of any road where I'd need to wait behind a cyclists 'for miles' or even one mile FTM,without being able to overtake safely for all concerned.I can't think of one :?

One road which fits that description is the Exe Valley A396 north from Tiverton to Wheddon Cross, which is an all but continuous sequence of tight-radius bends. The sightlines are such that there are some places where it's safe to overtake a single cyclist riding reasonably slowly, but virtually none where it's safe to overtake a group of cyclists (either singled or 2 x 2) riding at anything over 20mph. This frequently lead to tense situations, which I've witnessed both driving and riding.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisButch wrote:
reohn2 wrote:TM
Which road is that,I'd be interested to know of any road where I'd need to wait behind a cyclists 'for miles' or even one mile FTM,without being able to overtake safely for all concerned.I can't think of one :?

One road which fits that description is the Exe Valley A396 north from Tiverton to Wheddon Cross, which is an all but continuous sequence of tight-radius bends. The sightlines are such that there are some places where it's safe to overtake a single cyclist riding reasonably slowly, but virtually none where it's safe to overtake a group of cyclists (either singled or 2 x 2) riding at anything over 20mph. This frequently lead to tense situations, which I've witnessed both driving and riding.

If that's the case then this riding technique(from the same post) should be applied to ease any tension:-
TBH If I'm holding up traffic for the kind of distances you mention I'd stop and wave them past.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Quite so. Rarely, however, applied by local club groups (the identity of which I'll refrain from 'outing' ) on the A396.