any one brave enough to go out in the floods?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH

Re: any one brave enough to go out in the floods?

Post by RickH »

I wasn't aware of any floods. It is raining a bit here but I hadn't been planning to go out on my bike today.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

None around me but I remember a time when my (then) wife to be was living in Kegworth and phoned to say she'd had great fun cycling through the edges of the (now much wider) river Soar.

followed a couple of days later my a phone call to say the bike wasn't running so well any more- could I take a look at it
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Cycled to work as normal, through Kegworth as it happens! A bit of water but no floods where I live but I expect Slash Lane at Barrow on Soar is possibly underwater.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rained lots here for nearly 48hrs, some of it very very heavy.................... and TBH we needed it.
The grass needs cutting for the first time since 25th June. May do it tomorrow as the weather has dried up since lunchtime today.

No floods, the ground just soaked it up.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
We were in Malta last week and we were in this:
http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio ... c3szXg-BE4
Actually, we saw and heard nothing at all except thunder and few tiny drops of rain. We were sitting on our hotel room balcony at the time and only heard of the storm later that evening!
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

I have a picture taken a few years ago, on a road that frequently floods

It's the A656, the 'Roman Road', that goes from Castleford, via Peckfield Bar (where A63 'Leeds-Selby turnpike' crosses it), up to HookMoor (Aberford)

I was photographing around there, on the stretch between the Canal & Allerton Bywater cross-roads, & a movement caught my eye
Zooming it, there was someone (a bloke presumably, don't think women are that stupid) with a bike on his shoulder, wadign armpit deep through the water :shock:

Granted it's a fair old diversion around, but surely it'd be safer
All he'need was for a manhole cover to have been lifted by water-pressure, before the full flood hit, then one wrong step. & he'd have never been seen again

Sheer lunacy

It's a link from a FaceBook album, hopefully it'll show
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

One of several riding an audax in 1998. We all went through, unlike some of the car drivers.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I did have to cycle through a mini flood on the way home from work this afternoon. However, I got much wetter going into work in the morning as there was so much running water running across the roads. I think that my feet have only just dried out now.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In the boozer yesterday evening chatting to our nextdoor neighbour. He has a rain gauge.
2.2inches of rain fell here on Thursday, which is quite a lot! :shock:

Totally dry now, no floods, and the river never even noticed. It all got absorbed into the bone dry dry soil.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Interesting that what little comment there has been and most of even that is about floods in times gone by. We used to live in Castleford and flooding was a regular event. The old terrace houses on Savile Road near the river have raised front door steps etc. I remember one year in the 1950's going to Leeds by train and on the bit between Cas and Methley it was like being in a ferry - water as far as you could see on either side. I thought Yorkshire Water now had that under control. I'm only an occasional visitor now but the only recent flooding I've seen out that way has been on Newton Lane near Fairburn Ings.

Back to the present. The BBC News www had a sensational headline about flooding and the first picture was of the denim-clad legs of a woman in strappy sandals stepping over a small puddle. :roll:
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

thirdcrank wrote:Interesting that what little comment there has been and most of even that is about floods in times gone by. We used to live in Castleford and flooding was a regular event. The old terrace houses on Savile Road near the river have raised front door steps etc. I remember one year in the 1950's going to Leeds by train and on the bit between Cas and Methley it was like being in a ferry - water as far as you could see on either side. I thought Yorkshire Water now had that under control. I'm only an occasional visitor now but the only recent flooding I've seen out that way has been on Newton Lane near Fairburn Ings.

Ye, I've seen pictures like that from the 50's, particularly around the (aptly named) Watergate area

Newton Lane still floods quite regularly, one of my Nurse collegues used to live on there (in a house up on the 's-bend')& used to get cut off on both sides. The water would close Newton Lane, between her house & Allerton Bywater, then also flood over at the junction with Back Newton Lane
She'd end up parking her car, over the fields, then driving to work via Kippax/Swillington, as 'Roman Road' was also flooded by that time
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
rjb

Post by rjb »

No sign of flooding down here on the somerset levels so no repeat of the events of 18 months ago when 65 square miles were under water. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D