Follow my leader

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Stradageek

Follow my leader

Post by Stradageek »

I have a theory that when being overtaken by a stream of cars, the behaviour of the first driver is critical - if he passes slow and wide so will the rest.

Unfortunately the obverse applies.

This Sunday I was followed by a small stream cars on a winding narrow country lane with no safe place to overtake, after about 400m one lost patience and overtook on a blind bend causing the poor oncoming motorist to brake hard and head for the grass verge (much flashing of lights and blaring of horns) - the following drivers saw this debacle then each in succession did the exactly the same thing and each encountered an angry oncoming motorist each of whom had to take similar avoiding action.

Did they each think 'he got away with it, so can I and nuts to the oncoming drivers'?

I try and avoid stereotypes but the three cars were a black BMW X5, a black Porsche 4x4, and a black Audi A6
GrumpyCyclist

Re: Follow my leader

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

So, is the issue big posh cars or black cars? :mrgreen:

I think you're right though. What the lead vehicle does is often followed by the ones behind it. Herd mentality?
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think even if the first one passes OK, those following get progressively worse unless there's a good driver amongst them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

mjr wrote:I think even if the first one passes OK, those following get progressively worse unless there's a good driver amongst them.

This is my experience too, sadly. Herd mentality means once the leader goes, the rest all will too, getting closer and closer as the road narrows again or oncoming traffic appears.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Not starting to drive until I was nearer to 50 than 40 I can still remember my instructor warning against blindly following the vehicle in front when overtaking.
drossall

Post by drossall »