Does the public detest cyclists?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: Does the public detest cyclists?

Post by al_yrpal »

We all detest pavement riders and redlight jumpers. There is a very small minority of morons who do detest cyclists. Others who are worried about how to pass cyclists safely. Then there are the ladies who drive fast on narrow roads almost straight at you, they are just ignorant. But, the majority of motorists are courteous and careful. Its too sweeping to say the public detests cyclists. Insert 'some' and its true

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I relate this phenomena as the same one that disabled people, or for that matter anyone who looks different gets treated by society.
It's a natural genetically programmed response to reject any member that doesn't fit.
Albino animals often get driven from family groups or herds & rarely find a mate.
Most people are intelligent enough to realise this 'instinct' isn't important any more & react accordingly.
A few 'Neanderthals' are closer to their genes & react in ways that sometimes intimidates or even endangers more vulnerable road users.
It certainly isn't only a London thing.
Yesterday I filtered past holiday traffic at a set of local lights.
A van that I had passed at said, passed me later at a safe distance but cut in aggressively when immediately in front of me.
IMHO he thought I had no right to move up through the congestion even though it was safe to do so, & caused no inconvenience to any other road user.
The cars caused the congestion not me.
But because we stand out & haven't got two tonnes of steel around us we are a very easy target.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

While I lived in the UK, I thought that attitudes towards cycling were basically OK; that there were a few (small minority) who hated cyclists, and that was about it.

Since I have moved, I have realised that it's much more than that. There are so many small things everyday that make me realise that cyclists are more respected in Norway (and other places) than the UK. From being called 'flink' (clever) for cycling to wrok, instead of 'nutter', or a lack of people making snide jokes about cyclists to wind me up, to people giving me a smile and nod when I roll my bicycle into a building, instead of looking at me as if I'm the scum of the earth for tracking mud or whatever in. Other mums don't ask me if it's safe to take my children around by bicycle, they admire our tandem. The ambient impression is that cycling is a good thing, rather than scary or stupid, or endangering my children. It was like a breath of fresh air when I first experienced it. The difference was noticeable to me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Its true that anti cycling sentiment exists in London, all the usual suspects, especially taxi drivers, bus drivers, white van man. But WHY?
Most cyclists are also drivers (I read recently that 80% of cyclists also own a car). So presumably the anti sentiment is restricted to a proportion of those that don't cycle.
Taking London as an example again. There has recently been a large increase in commuting by scooter (motor scooter not the children's toy). I haven't noticed any anti scooter sentiment despite the fact that scooters are also 2 wheeled and carve through traffic jams like bicycles.
It can't be the road tax argument, most scooters only pay a trifling £17 pa. They also push to the front at the lights and generally exhibit a lot of similarity to bicycles in road behaviour albeit they go faster.
Its true that scooters RLJ a lot less than bicycles and rarely jump on and off pavements (though I have seen this a few times).
I give the example of the contrast in the way that cyclists and scooter riders are precieved in an attempt to identify why cyclists are vilified.
Surely there must be more to it than just RLJing?
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I live close to BoxHill and there is a very strong anti cyclist attitude around here. We have had drawing pins in the road on a number of occasions and saying you are a cyclist brings on all the anti comments.
My ride today up Box Hill was pleasant and no issues but at the weekend both drivers and cyclists are very aggressive at times.
The Un regulated sportive so seem to cause the most hassle as psuedo racers take too many chances.
Sadly locals are moving to stop the Ride London race and charity ride which I hope never happens as the race is great, not sure about the other event as I do not watch or partake but peace and quiet for one day a year causes us no problems.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:We all detest pavement riders and redlight jumpers. There is a very small minority of morons who do detest cyclists. Others who are worried about how to pass cyclists safely. Then there are the ladies who drive fast on narrow roads almost straight at you, they are just ignorant. But, the majority of motorists are courteous and careful. Its too sweeping to say the public detests cyclists. Insert 'some' and its true

Al

I don't detest anyone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

I think society in general seems to be encouraging a combative feel to most things, you v me, etc. People feel secure in their vehicles and maybe at times the feeling of superiority towards other road users kicks in.

Mind you a lot of roads are catering for a lot more traffic than they were ever designed for, all adds fuel to the fire of frustration and there is a nice easy target to take it out on.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

There are many drivers who are anti cyclists - look at all those stickers on vans etc. One of the reasons is they don't know how to "cope" with cyclists when driving so far better to blame cyclists rather than themselves.
Perhaps all motorists should have to pass a cycling test first?? :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Or cycle awareness should be part of the learner/test process
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

AlanJ wrote:Or cycle awareness should be part of the learner/test process

Would they not forget all they had learned once the got behind the wheel on their own?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

MikeF wrote:Perhaps all motorists should have to pass a cycling test first?? :shock:

From what I see on the roads I doubt most cyclists would pass a cycling test.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
MikeF wrote:Perhaps all motorists should have to pass a cycling test first?? :shock:

From what I see on the roads I doubt most cyclists would pass a cycling test.

Well since they are not currently in charge of a potentially-lethal vehicle, there's not really a reason for them to do so.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

A good thing I never suggested that cyclist should take a test then.

And even even better thing that they don't, as 8 out of 1o would fail.

But fortunately, because the bicycle is intrinsically less lethal than a car they can all ride like utter tools and that's ok by you :?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It's okay in the sense of everybody having to start somewhere and so from that perspective it's good to see an inexperienced cyclist on the roads.. It's not okay where it is genuinely dangerous to others but generally it's more of a nuisance. We are right to focus our energies on those with the much greater potential to cause harm.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

bikepacker wrote:
AlanJ wrote:Or cycle awareness should be part of the learner/test process

Would they not forget all they had learned once the got behind the wheel on their own?

Some would, just as now people pass their test and then drive in a manner that makes you wonder how they passed their test