Best for commuting: Roubaix SL4, Gran Fondo or Mekk Poggio

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Scuderia

Best for commuting: Roubaix SL4, Gran Fondo or Mekk Poggio

Post by Scuderia »

Hello. I'm going to start cycling to work (10 miles each way through London to Westminster) and I'm looking for a suitable bike. I'm heightened the cycle to work scheme so I have an absolute limit of £1000. I want something that isn't too energy sapping to ride so I get to work without being covered in sweat (although I do have showers there) and to be quick enough to not be a danger (lots of B roads, traffic and other cyclists on my commute).

I'm attracted to two carbon road bikes, both are more endurance rather than race bikes as I think this will be better for commuting and the odd long ride for fun at the weekends, however I'd be grateful for thoughts on my assumptions as well as the bikes. The two bikes are:

The Fuji Gran Condo 2.5 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec069062 and the Specialized Roubaix SL4 Triple http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec070644. Both available at evanscycles.co.uk and the Mekkk Poggio 2.5 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-poggio-25-2015/ from wiggle.co.uk. they have an ex display model for just under £1000. All are 2015 models.

I have no idea which is best as my current bike is a 1927 Raleigh Sports Model and this will be my first road bike.

Thanks very much!
Graham

Re: Best for commuting: Roubaix SL4, Gran Fondo or Mekk Pogg

Post by Graham »

Having just read this my first thought was : Is VERY secure parking available for your bike ??

If not then don't go buying a flashy new one. It is highly likely to be stolen. . . . but you probably know this already . . .

Did you really mean that your current bike originated from around 1927 ?? not 1972 ??

Sorry I cannot help with your choice though - I haven't got a clue about modern ones.
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

Yes I have secure bike racks in the office itself (it's a very cycle friendly organisation) and we have showers etc there for people who cycle in etc. so security isn't a concern.

My current bike really is from 1927. It belonged to an elderly neighbour and she gave it to me 5 years ago. She was throwing it out and I was helping to clear out her garage. I had just finished uni and had no money (or job) to buy a new one so I slowly restored it with pocket money. It's a 3 speed sturmey archer, very upright and weighs a tonne! Fine to pop to the shops a mile away on quiet roads but commuting on it would be suicide.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is a bit of a loaded question in that it assumes that replicas of racing cycles AKA road bikes, are appropriate for regularly riding to and from work.

Unfortunately, what seems to be a more common thread is along the lines of "How can I carry luggage / fit mudguards / fit lower gears ... etc to my new road bike?"

Think through how you intend to use the bike. eg Luggage. I'm not talking here about a tent and sleeping bag but even a jacket, minimal tools etc takes room and while plenty of riders now seem to use rucksacs, they are hardly comfy. How does the gearing compare with what you are used to and what you may need in the future? This isn't about the number of gears but the lower gears.
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

thirdcrank wrote:This is a bit of a loaded question in that it assumes that replicas of racing cycles AKA road bikes, are appropriate for regularly riding to and from work.

Unfortunately, what seems to be a more common thread is along the lines of "How can I carry luggage / fit mudguards / fit lower gears ... etc to my new road bike?"

Think through how you intend to use the bike. eg Luggage. I'm not talking here about a tent and sleeping bag but even a jacket, minimal tools etc takes room and while plenty of riders now seem to use rucksacs, they are hardly comfy. How does the gearing compare with what you are used to and what you may need in the future? This isn't about the number of gears but the lower gears.

So I intend to take public transport once a week to take my shirts/suits into the office and not really carry anything other than my phone, ID and wallet and puncture repair kit in a ruck sac or pouch. I have a large locker near the changing rooms for this. Occasionally I may have to take work home which would be a note pad, a few documents and a tablet at most so nothing that couldn't fit into a small rucksac. I would want mud guards but I was hoping to use these, which seem suitable for road bikes http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadracer- ... rds-%C2%A0

Part of the appeal of a road bike for me is to also use it for fitness. I'm already reasonably fit having played lots of sports but would like to take it to my local riding park and velodrome a few times.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've not looked at the links for the bikes, but would you want mudguards? To me a must if cycling in the wet, though I know other people do without. Can these be fitted to those bikes easily, and will it reduce the tyre size (and therefore comfort) you can use.
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

honesty wrote:I've not looked at the links for the bikes, but would you want mudguards? To me a must if cycling in the wet, though I know other people do without. Can these be fitted to those bikes easily, and will it reduce the tyre size (and therefore comfort) you can use.

Yes I would. I'm hoping to use the mud guards in the link above. They've had good reviews and are designed to squeeze into the small tolerances of road bike frames. What I'm struggling with is working out which if these is a better package as they all seem to have different strengths. E.g. The Fuji and Mekk have Shimano 105s which I hear are good, but the Specialized has those inserts to make the ride smoother.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ah ok, missed that!

My personal preference is mudguards with proper mountings, so no fiddling around fitting them on bikes with limited clearances. Also the differences in brake drop can affect what size tyre you can fit. Something like a Kinesis 4S is a great "race" bike with more all season capability.

Whilst Im sure the roubaix is more comfortable because of the zertz inserts, Im not sure if you would just be better served fitting wider tyres.