New overtaking video

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: New overtaking video

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:Most of the argument on that thread concerns the interpretation of the 'half a car's width' or 'as much space as you would give a car' injunctions, and their variants. Correctly, in my view, they're criticised as ambiguous: and several posters point out that one driver's comfortable clearance space when overtaking another car is another driver's dangerous near miss. It would be much better, as is the norm in France and elsewhere, to specify a distance.
Heartening that most of the contributors clearly want to get it right.

What often strikes me as unnecessary on a lot of two way roads is that the car has to pull out to block the oncoming direction even to have a close pass. So if the driver is having to ensure no oncoming traffic and using the oncoming lane, why not pull across decently - oncoming vehicles are a problem pulling out inadequate distance or giving a decent clearance.

Does not help with regard to clearance guidance but you get these close passes and the driver has moved half way across the oncoming lane - so why not go decently across !!

Ian

On my last two rides I've had close passes where that's been the case,I've also had two where the oncoming driver has had to do an ES so as not to cause either a head on,or the car overtaking me swerving into me.
These people are a dangerous menace on our roads.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:OK, remember "robust"!

You'll see a couple of obvious trolls in action, too.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?
h=0&f=23&t=1534249&mid=52319&nmt=How+to+overtake+cyclists+video

I got to page 4(honest),and I really can't believe the pettiness on there by some of those people,I don't know how you put up with it :? .

It does get silly on occasions I agree, at which point I unfollow the thread, and the issues around cycling seem to light the blue touch paper, however by and large it's populated with thoughtful people who share (many!) Common interests.

I guess I linked it as an example of the thought that some/many/most? drivers give the issue, too.

There's a salutory thread from a contributor about his offence and subsequent jail term after his causing a life-changing accident whilst driving which I'm willing to get has caused more behavioural change than most interventions, for instance.

All in all an interesting place to spend time as long as the idiots don't prevail.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

The responses on PH confirms what I know, the wording in the HC is ambiguous at best, the RoSPA poster is equally misleading and as has being pointed out the video done by CB and his buddies had a fairly critical error in it highlighted on PH within the first couple of posts and on here.

If the HC is being used as a tool for enforcing/aiding safe driving and rule following then it needs overhauling and soon (hello CTC!!!!)

There is too much conflict between rules within it and are somewhat loaded against cyclists/cycling, it still takes away and weakens some of the important responsibility that motorised traffic should take around us and still insist on the 'you should' approach for stuff like hi-vis & helmets and 'use cycle routes', unless unsafe to do so (IRONY ALERT!!:roll: ) doesn't mention that cyclist often cannot signal at times due to holding onto their bars to keep control either due to weather or the state of the road.

Rules about giving space and driving with consideration should be re-enforced as the driving instructor points out overtaking (not passing) is one of the most dangerous aspects of motoring. The rule should make it clear that you should give MORE room (than when overtaking a motorvehicle) and should aim to to give at least X feet in built up areas and more on faster roads.
There should be a special mention of road position/observations as a driver BEFORE you get to the back of cyclists, making a positive indication to overtake, far too often the following vehicles fail to see you or undertsand what is happening and almost plough into the back of you.

I do take the point mentioned on PH that some cyclists (individuals & groups) are selfish gits that have no consideration for others making it impossible to overtake at all (when perfectly safe ordinarily) even when driving to the gutter on the other side just would not allow a good 3 feet due to 3/4 abreast right up to the centre line, on a bend I get that (though you then have the possibility of wider oncoming vehicles to worry about) but on straight roads it takes the biscuit. Thin out a bit (down to two) for gods sakes :x
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

There's now another video from the same team, on riding two abreast:
https://vimeo.com/136215353
honesty

Post by honesty »

Tonyf33 wrote:... and as has being pointed out the video done by CB and his buddies had a fairly critical error in it highlighted on PH within the first couple of posts and on here...

eh?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

honesty wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:... and as has being pointed out the video done by CB and his buddies had a fairly critical error in it highlighted on PH within the first couple of posts and on here...

eh?

The highly qualified driving instructor demonstrates a "safe" overtake .... Just at the top of a blind hill crest! :shock:
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ah. Ok, on a closed road circuit that's being used for a demo purpose. It's not the best, but with limited budget and space you work with what you have I suppose! Also may be something to do with where they are able to position cameras etc.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Spoiler alert - this is not representative!!!

...however I couldn't help but be struck today when the Family Bonefish (Mum, Dad, rsing 5yo daughter on her Islabike) participated in the annual Blenheim Palace Bike Day at how anarchic it was. In fact it was downright worrying at times as two parents sought to "sandwich" their young charge who has been cycling solo since May.

Cyclists all over the paths, cyclists cycling way too fast for the traffic conditions, cyclists passing here there and everywhere without warning the overtakee. Roadies in full regalia, a 'bent and trailer, and everything inbetween, including a tandem, I noticed.

Cars were notably well-behaved, with the exception of one Golf driver who just looked terrified at the proximity of so many cycles. In fact overall rather better than the cyclists.

Not sure what the point is, except perhaps to be very worried if the cyclists ever rule the World :)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

We had a big cycling event at a council-and NT--run stately home near here. Racing, the lot.
They even had the police security-marking bikes.
Great eh?

Except I was there not long before, and in the entire estate, house, garden and farm there is no bike parking. As in none whatsoever, at least according to staff- and I certainly couldn't find any.
I finally found a (temporary?) metal rack for motorbikes and managed to use one of the slots.
I was also told to walk, not cycle, down about half a mile of tarmac single track road, to get to the house. I met no vehicles on it, and two people walking. I later found it was a bridleway in any case.
The cycle-unfriendly place in question is Shugborough - in case anyone needs the warning. :evil:
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Talking to a driving instructor yesterday, mentioned passing bikes. He teaches 'treat cyclist like car', and move fully to opposite lane, although he agreed that not everyone taught that, so still room for misunderstanding:-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity