New overtaking video

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

New overtaking video

Post by mjr »

Carlton Reid has put out the video sponsored by British Cycling and the Bicycle Association, fronted by BC policy advisor Chris Boardman:

I think only CB flouts the BC helmet rule, and it's rather heavy on the lycra club strips, as you'd expect from BC.

What do you think?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jezer

Re: New overtaking video

Post by jezer »

An excellent video I think. Let's make it go virol.
Power to the pedals
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
I think only CB flouts the BC helmet rule

what helmet rule? The 'regulation' is only applicable to events (races/sportives etc) organised under BC rules.

Please don't start trotting out all that rubbish again, our best known cyclist is not flouting anything other than his personal choice.

The video is brilliant but who is going to see it? is it being shown on prime time TV, in cinemas? Not much point if it doesn't get seen. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mjr wrote:What do you think?
Take a good look at 1m26s - overtaking at a junction and towards the brow of a hill :roll: And earlier on it misses the point about overtaking a vehicle doing more than 10 mph where there are double white lines.
7/10, and I still prefer the Scottish horsey one :wink:

Which brings me to yesterday's car / cyclist interaction: approaching stop line at a cross roads I observe a woman exiting left from the opposing road with two loaded shopping bags dangling from the handlebars. I exit right and end up following her for maybe 50 yards waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic to overtake safely. Suitable gap appears, I indicate, pull out into the oncoming lane and floor it, at which point, with just a sideways glance said cycle user turns right in front of me and cycles onto the offside pavement :shock: Fortunately I was driving an asthmatic Clio so no problem , but....Well I suppose I wouldn't like to let go of the handlebars to indicate with that much dangling from them :roll:
"42"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:........ who is going to see it? is it being shown on prime time TV, in cinemas? Not much point if it doesn't get seen. :(

This ^^^
It ain't much good if it isn't seen by most of the driving public
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

squeaker wrote:
Take a good look at 1m26s - overtaking at a junction and towards the brow of a hill :roll: And earlier on it misses the point about overtaking a vehicle doing more than 10 mph where there are double white lines.

Which brings me to yesterday's car / cyclist interaction: approaching stop line at a cross roads I observe a woman exiting left from the opposing road with two loaded shopping bags dangling from the handlebars. I exit right and end up following her for maybe 50 yards waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic to overtake safely. Suitable gap appears, I indicate, pull out into the oncoming lane and floor it, at which point, with just a sideways glance said cycle user turns right in front of me and cycles onto the offside pavement :shock: Fortunately I was driving an asthmatic Clio so no problem , but....Well I suppose I wouldn't like to let go of the handlebars to indicate with that much dangling from them :roll:

Trouble with the horsey one is that riders will tell you that drivers don't give horses enough space either. I know several riders who have been physically clipped by overtaking traffic. And some drivers are as antagonistic to horses as others are to cyclists, i.e., the 'you shouldn't be on the road' brigade, plus the 'you are a toff because you're on horse so I hate you' brigade. At least drivers can't deliberately scare our bikes and make them bolt or rear by blaring the horn at them.............
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Yes, it should be seen by everyone else, serves no purpose if only us lot see it.
I'm going to put a link to this on Facebook so that my family & friends can see it. Howsabout you all do that as well to help get the message out.
I'm glad that riding two abreast was mentioned, where is it though?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Problem is that it's an idealised empty road much like the Highway Code picture. I don't know about you but IME drivers don't tend to pass too closely when they have tons of room. Most of my close passes have happened in the face of oncoming traffic where drivers attempt to squeeze through within the lane without waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:Problem is that it's an idealised empty road much like the Highway Code picture. I don't know about you but IME drivers don't tend to pass too closely when they have tons of room. Most of my close passes have happened in the face of oncoming traffic where drivers attempt to squeeze through within the lane without waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic.

IME close passes are totally unpredictable,open wide road or not,and if I think it's unsafe for drivers to pass me in traffic I block their chances.Equally so if I can see traffic building up behind because it's unsafe for them to overtake I pull over and let it clear so as not to cause them unnecessary irritation.

I'm just from shopping with Mrs R2 and have witnessed a horserider experience a close o/take,she was riding with her crop/whip sticking out on the offside(about 600mm beyond her right foot) when a Transit Connect missed it by about 150mm.
That's close!
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

squeaker wrote:

Whilst valid points, it's best to keep the message simple. This is about giving enough space whilst overtaking.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Call me a cynic ("Lance, you're a cynic!") but shouldn't car drivers know how to do this already? Any driver dense or ignorant enough not to know now to overtake safely is unlikely to invest time improving their knowledge by watching a video.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Call me a cynic ("Lance, you're a cynic!") but shouldn't car drivers know how to do this already? Any driver dense or ignorant enough not to know now to overtake safely is unlikely to invest time improving their knowledge by watching a video.

Nail, head :evil:
For the most part drivers have the capability to overtake safely (those that can't just aren't even close to being competent either mentally, physically or otherwise), a fair proportion just choose not to bother even when it's no hinderance to them whatsoever, even worse they just utterly fail to understand why we are shaking our fists or even worse have being forced off the road/knocked off.
This all backed up by the inability/disinterest from the police to bring to task errant drivers and the justice system to punish the more serious incidents.

Even when you have footage of ridiculously close passes or just plain clear evidence of dangerous driving where a death/serious injury has occured the justice system just gives a slapped wrist if at all and a massive two fingers up to the safety of cyclists/vulnerable road users. :twisted:
Nothing the CTC has done has changed things in that regard IMHO.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm not a telly owner but I'm sure this would have legs if it was televised. The public does what the box says. Well kind of...

There is a peculiar mentality that just because there's a bike in front, 'I MUST get past.' Or lorry. Or a bus. Or a tractor. Weird because most do the speed limit so what's the rush? Same with anything pulling a trailer.

I pull a trailer for work and it has one of those mesh ramps which sticks up nearly 2,5m when its 'up' so you would think visually I was very much in your face and I would get given SPACE. Not so: I still constantly have idiots who measure their braking distance from the rear of my truck rather than the trailer which is nearly 4m long. None of them would be able to stop in time. I'll remember that when I need a new trailer.[emoji48]

Culturally we are up against it...b
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Call me a cynic ("Lance, you're a cynic!") but shouldn't car drivers know how to do this already? Any driver dense or ignorant enough not to know now to overtake safely is unlikely to invest time improving their knowledge by watching a video.

Out of the close passes I'm subjected to on every ride,it's impossible to know which ones do know the rule but don't care,are deliberately intimidating cyclists,or don't know or care/realise their effect. Occasionally I suspect the intimidators but unless I confront them I can't tell one from an other.
It amounts to the same thing,a close pass is a close pass,whatever the intention or non,it still frightens/intimidates me and I'm a cyclist with 50+years of road use,how it must be for a new cyclist I can only guess,but they'll need to be hardy souls not to be put off cycling sooner or later.

The other thing that strikes me as odd is for cyclists and increasingly motorists to feel the need to have cameras in/on their vehicle to monitor other road user's behaviour such is the depths to which driving standards have sunk.
The stats will say regarding KSI, UK roads are one of the safest road in Europe but what they don't tell is the tension,aggression and bullying felt by and directed at vulnerable road users that is a daily feature of road use.
As for the government and judicial side of things,Tonyf33 has summed that up very well IMHO.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I'm not a telly owner but I'm sure this would have legs if it was televised. The public does what the box says. Well kind of...

There is a peculiar mentality that just because there's a bike in front, 'I MUST get past.' Or lorry. Or a bus. Or a tractor. Weird because most do the speed limit so what's the rush? Same with anything pulling a trailer.

I pull a trailer for work and it has one of those mesh ramps which sticks up nearly 2,5m when its 'up' so you would think visually I was very much in your face and I would get given SPACE. Not so: I still constantly have idiots who measure their braking distance from the rear of my truck rather than the trailer which is nearly 4m long. None of them would be able to stop in time. I'll remember that when I need a new trailer.

Culturally we are up against it...b

Weird innit?
There's a set of TL close to home that nearly always has a 20 to 30 car tailback to the TL.
When on the bike,I'm regularly overtaken with <100m between me and the back of the line even though I'm in primary and about to go down the outside of the line of cars.
It's something I just can't figure out,the mentality of drivers is stupid at times :?
W H Auden