I'm amazed!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bigjim

I'm amazed!

Post by bigjim »

Driving down the very busy [crazy] A56 near me I was astonished [or amazed] to see a huge Digital sign at the side of the road displaying the words. "Think! Give cyclists more space." I never thought I would see the day. Anybody else come across one of these?
robing

Re: I'm amazed!

Post by robing »

Not in this country! Seen plenty in Spain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bigjim wrote:Driving down the very busy [crazy] A56 near me I was astonished [or amazed] to see a huge Digital sign at the side of the road displaying the words. "Think! Give cyclists more space." I never thought I would see the day. Anybody else come across one of these?

It's not before time! :)
The question is,will motorists heed it? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

With this being an A Road, does that mean it's the Highways Agency behind this or the County Council?
I should coco.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I don't suppose motorists will take any notice. I would love to think it's a turning point in bringing the UK in line with most European countries, but I'm not holding my breath.
Power to the pedals
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Valbrona wrote:With this being an A Road, does that mean it's the Highways Agency behind this or the County Council?

Highways agencies for A roads so hope for the rest of the UK. Being digital it may change the message such as warnings about texting. But good to see we are in there.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Apparently there is one on the A6 in Stockport, not seen it personally.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ferrit worrier wrote:Apparently there is one on the A6 in Stockport, not seen it personally.

Could be the same one they keep moving about :roll: :wink:
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

bigjim wrote:
Valbrona wrote:With this being an A Road, does that mean it's the Highways Agency behind this or the County Council?

Highways agencies for A roads so hope for the rest of the UK

The Highways Agency is now called Highways England. They have never had responsibility for all A-roads (or even all motorways). The majority of A-roads and a small number of motorways remain the responsibility of county councils. Those for which Highways England are responsible are officially referred to as 'trunk roads'. A diagram showing them all can be seen here (click to enlarge): http://images.highways.gov.uk/wp-conten ... tyle-l.png As can be seen only the section of the A56 joining the M65 and M66 is a trunk road, the remainder will be maintained by the county councils.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Bicycler wrote:
bigjim wrote:

Highways agencies for A roads so hope for the rest of the UK

The Highways Agency is now called Highways England. They have never had responsibility for all A-roads (or even all motorways). The majority of A-roads and a small number of motorways remain the responsibility of county councils. Those for which Highways England are responsible are officially referred to as 'trunk roads'. A diagram showing them all can be seen here (click to enlarge): http://images.highways.gov.uk/wp-conten ... tyle-l.png As can be seen only the section of the A56 joining the M65 and M66 is a trunk road, the remainder will be maintained by the county councils.

Strange, The Department for Transport thinks it's the Highways Agency.http://data.gov.uk/forum/general-discussion/who-maintains-roads
Oh well. I still like the signs.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You see these sort of signs on main roads in NZ.

In my opinion it should quote a distance, say 1.5 metres in unlimited areas and 1 metre in urban areas just like in France.

Why can we have them here?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

bigjim wrote:
Bicycler wrote:The Highways Agency is now called Highways England.

Strange, The Department for Transport thinks it's the Highways Agency.http://data.gov.uk/forum/general-discussion/who-maintains-roads

That's dated last year. The change only occurred in April this year. Just to correct myself, it is a new organisation replacing the Highways Agency rather than a simple renaming of it: http://www.highways.gov.uk/highways-eng ... ys-england

Oh well. I still like the signs.

No disagreement here :D
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I hate being pedantic, but you said they never had resposibility for A roads but that link says they did. It's pretty confusing but most government things are. Near me the motorway lights are turned off in lancashire but as soon as you hit Greater Manchester they are on so I'm assuming different local authoritys are responsible for different sections. An issue that often arises when gritting is or is not taking place. Therefore the Highway Authority or whatever it's new name is does not cover the nation. Or does it?
Oh. I'm confused, I'll go to bed and read a book. :?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It doesn't say that they were ever responsible for all A-roads. It talks loosely of "major A-roads" and "our net­work of motor­ways and A roads". They don't make it as clear as they should I grant you. You'll have to trust me (or check for yourself) that A-road and trunk road status were always separate and trunk roads were always only a small proportion of the total number of A-roads. Street lighting goes with the maintenance responsibility and in almost all motorways that does reside with Highways England. eg. this article regarding the M6 in Lancashire http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-10672886
Gritting of (trunk) motorways is also a Highways England problem. Difference in gritting levels is probably a resource allocation issue rather than anything to do with the local council.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've just seen a 'SHARE THE ROAD' info sign on the A579 Atherleigh Way near Leigh Lancs.
W H Auden