New Bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
blinkered

New Bike

Post by blinkered »

I'm off to Mercian tomorrow to get measured for a new frame. Which is very exciting

I have a sense of the style of bike i'd like although I haven't settled on a frame or material in fact. However I think that will be ok and i'll reach a conclusion while there. What I'm finding difficult is deciding on a colour(way). So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice on how to choose or indeed how you decided.
MikeF

Re: New Bike

Post by MikeF »

What sort of riding do you do? Have you bike/bikes that you find "nice" to ride? If so you probably want something similar.
I've looked at Mercian, and I'm sure they will build the spec you want, but their "standard" sizes seem to have steep seat tubes - at least on smaller sizes.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Oh, the agonies of 'too much choice' :D

Last frame I bought was a Spa Audax - so no problem there, given that it offers the full spectrum offered by the Ford model 'T' - any colour as long as it's black. It took me long enough to settle on the type of frame, so having Hobson's (or Spa's) choice when it came to colour was something of a relief! (even if I do believe that Spa is being absurdly unenterprising by not even giving a choice of, say, three plain colours).

All I can offer in the way of 'advice' would be to suggest that you try and see a whole frame, or better still, a whole bike in your preferred colour, rather than simply a few square inches of colour sample. It can look very different 'full size'.

Enjoy the sweet dilemma.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Colour and finish is all down to personal preference. I don't much like the look of the barbers pole on the seat tube and have no great love for red, yellow or white frames (white or cream contrasting panels on head tube and seat tube however...). Box lining might be nice, if you want a retro touch (do they do box lining?). The paintwork with the flickering bits in reminds me of women's nail varnish (pearlescent?), so that would be a no go. I'm sure their showroom will help you decide.

I'd be more concerned with getting the right geometry, frame fittings and mudguard/tyre margins correct, as the paint can always be changed, the rest can't.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Good question- I had a bike built and it's really one of the very best things I've ever done, so I hope your experience is just as good.

I worked on a chunk of a big project to build a park to hold some Olympic Games in, in East London a few years ago, and we decided to paint some bridges a burnt orange for various reasons, and one of my jobs was to line up the politics to persuade the powers that be to uphold this and in the end- they got painted burnt orange, RAL 2001.

So I specified the frame colour as RAL 2001 as an homage to our Northern Access bridges. I wasn't going to be really hardcore about the black/silver balance on the components, so we (Chas Roberts and I in an amazing hour's chat) went for black bars/tape/stem/saddle and silver derailleurs (Shimano 105)/hubs/brakes/chainrings/boltheads/general drive components. The wheels got accidentally upgraded (at no extra cost) to Ambrosio Excellights which have predominantly black rims, and the whole lot looks great. I would state that this conversation was based on a very detailed set of measurements and CR's experience, so the finishes were very much secondary to the functional purpose of the machine. I also think that the paint finish might have been a bit better if I'd chosen a stock colour rather than trying to be clever...

This was my approach anyway- have fun!

This is the colour:
Attachments
RAL2001.jpg
RAL2001.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Wow! Tricky especially if you happen to be a creative.

I think Surly offer a surprising pallet of colours I never thought would look good on a bike, but man they have it sussed! Check out their site and just peruse the bikes.

If you should fail in your quest black ALWAYS pleases and will sell second hand.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

If I feel like I am reaching out to the handlebars, its a bad sign. I think I would rather be on a bike too small than too big. If a bike is really big you risk having to have the seatpost all the way in.

I am about 5'9" and a 57cm with drop bars is too much reach to the hoods, with flat bars on though, it is about right.

On a 48cm I was setup about right on drop bars, but on flat bars I was hunched up.

I still have no clue what size frame I "should" be lol, probably about a 52cm if on drops, or a 56cm if on flat bars.

You can't know unless you sit on the bike in the shop, guessing at how big a bike will be from an online size is futile IMO but if you know the brand well or a friend has one you might know how it will fit.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This discussion on sizing inspired me to do a quick check, seeing as it's some years since I bought myself a new bike and I'd forgotten what 'my' size was.

Well, I'm 1.73m tall (about 5'8") and my steel road bike, with drop bars and horizontal top tube, measures 57cm - at least, that's the measurement from centre of B/B spindle to top of seat tube (point where seat post emerges). Is that the correct way to state a frame size, these days? And what does one do with a frame with sloping top tube (as most road frames are these days)?

I have to say, I feel perfectly comfortable with my current set-up, and there's certainly plenty of seat post showing above the seat tube! I can't remember what formula I used to set the distance from saddle top to pedal at lowest point (which is what really counts) but I think I copied it from my previous bike. And if I have need to take off the saddle or seat post, I make a note of the height so I can set it exactly the same on re-assembly.

But my preferred frame size seems unduly large for my height, here, as compared with the choices of others on this thread. Am I doing something wrong?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've seen a Mercian tandem unpainted just clear coated,with the brazing standing out like brass lug lining.
Not everyone's choice,but it looked quite stunning in an very understated way,a bit like a very dull grey Ti frame :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

No brainer, my dad's fave colour:- Sky Blue Pink everytime... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Favourite colour?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
blinkered

Post by blinkered »

Hi all, thanks for the ideas. I had a fair idea of what I wanted from the rest of the bike but knew the colours might be difficult.

I've gone for Gun metal grey with light blue detailing and transfers. Something like this with the Mercian transfer in the same blue as everything else. It's quite a wait until the frame will be ready so I imagine there is time to change my mind!

I have been told it's boring so if that's a general opinion I'd be interested in hearing it.
Attachments
image001.png
Heltor Chasca

New Bike

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My Surly Big Dummy is an industrial grey. And EVERYONE says, 'Wow!'

I have brownish grips on the handle bars and a 'natural' Brooks C17 and it looks the mutts. Mind you there's also a sheepskin on the back so it's personal choice. I reckon decals may be important too.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 8 Aug 2015, 9:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

New Bike

Post by Heltor Chasca »

There are a couple of new road bikes and tourers out at the moment which are hues of green/olive and greys. I reckon you are up to speed with colour trends! [emoji41]

Avocado green? No just kidding. I like the blue too. Brave. After all Sky use that colour don't they? I think you've done well...b
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I very much approve of the colour scheme, big thumbs up from me, understated, simple and classy and the colour combination works great 8)