High fiving van drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

High fiving van drivers

Post by Si »

Anyone else had this...happened to me a couple of times recently (different vans/drivers)....

riding along a major road, wanting to turn right into a minor road, signal right and move to right side of my lane. Van driver coming towards me sees this, sticks his hand out the window and tries to high five me.

Made me chuckle but I'm thinking if I'd been a novice cyclist or kid who wasn't confident in taking avoiding action, in a 30 zone and the van driver had made contact then hands may have met at over 40mph....which could be quite painful, not to mention ending up with one on the floor and the other having his arm bent back in a way that it wasn't designed to do!
reohn2

Re: High fiving van drivers

Post by reohn2 »

Never had that happen to me,but it's dangerous and stupid in the extreme :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Reminds me of an accident report brought to my attention some years ago about a driver who had his elbow out of the open window and was supporting his chin. A close shave ensued with a vehicle passing in the opposite direction. When the driver then went to grab his steering wheel his arm was not there. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Well, I've found lots of things at the roadside, but never someone's arm.
I should coco.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Sounds armless enough to me
sailorp

Post by sailorp »

Takes me back to my callow youth, when things such as I describe below were more tolerated than of late.
Friend of mine was out in a dark blue Triumph TR6 (which was the envy of us all) with male passenger.
Passenger put left arm out of car window to slap a backside of an attractive girl in a mini skirt standing by the roadside.
This was just above walking speed, so the tale was told. I'm not so sure, as the damage was considerable.
Impact broke his forearm, and damaged his elbow.
Nowadays we'd say that served him right.
Can't remember what happened to the girl, let's hope she wasn't damaged at all.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:Image

"Stay inside the window -
It's dangerous to lean out"?
Why are the two halves of the message in different languages??? :-?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.