Pride comes before a fall

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Spinners

Re: Pride comes before a fall

Post by Spinners »

That motorist is a heart attack waiting to happen and I wouldn't mind betting he broke or sprained a finger there as his hand is half-on half-off the kerb - not that I'll shed a tear.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

It's very difficult to judge the closeness of the pass from a helmet cam. My view would be if it wasn't close why would the cyclist react in the way he did? The end result is pretty hilarious in any case.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, obviously, he was trying his best.....

superman roadrage.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is it a train? is it a plane? no! its super d**k!!!!! :lol:
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Cringeworthy from both a cycling and driving perspective.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bogmyrtle wrote:Cringeworthy from both a cycling and driving perspective.

But pretty good from a diving perspective?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

bogmyrtle wrote:Cringeworthy from both a cycling and driving perspective.

Interestingly the cyclist is careless about his own safety (and that of other road users in the clip above) in his pursuit of motorists - and has very obvious double standards as to what is an acceptable amount of room, as in another of his clips below where his red mist is such that he puts himself in harm's way, such is his eagerness to confront an errant (in his view) motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0j9odLRk8c

Something bad will happen to this individual at some point, I fear, if he continues in this fashion. He's also not doing one iota of good in terms of making motorists understand his POV, quite the contrary in fact.

...and no, that is not to condone assault, but I can understand why it happened with someone who had anger issues which were obvious from their first interaction.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Looks like the clown has made a privacy complaint.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
honesty

Post by honesty »

mjr wrote:
honesty wrote:Specifically recommended against doing this in the various cycling training manuals isn't it? I know in cars they say not to hop between parked cars, but take the lane and stay there as its less dangerous.

I would also say that people cycling have a right to reach their destination in a timely manner without being held up by motorists behind them as well as in front, but in this video, he/she seems to have plenty of time to chase and argue with the motorist. :roll:

Either way this could have been completely avoided if the driver hadn't driven like a prat. The victim was a bit silly chasing him down, but having done the same myself in the heat of the moment it's understandable. Also remember that the camera will make this look further away than it was as the lens angle will distort the image.

Yes, based on my own handlebar camera, that looked scarily close... but you've chased people down? When someone passes me as badly as that (happily rare), I check all my extremities are intact, thank my lucky stars and hope I don't share a road with that incompetent/evil motorist again. I have once told a motorist I found their overtake scary when they had parked (illegally) in the cycle parking I used (some minutes later - they said sorry) and I once suffered an attempted road-rage attack because I said something ("whoa!" IIRC) when someone overtook so close I felt the air displaced by their wing mirror... but deliberately chase them down? Why do that?

Not chased really, more they were stuck in traffic 100 feet ahead so I went up to them to ask what they were playing at. Should have left it in hindsight.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Spinners wrote:Looks like the clown has made a privacy complaint.

which and how do u know and where?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:
Spinners wrote:Looks like the clown has made a privacy complaint.

which and how do u know and where?

The originator of the video posted on YouTube, saying he's had a message from YouTube moderators.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 1 Aug 2015, 9:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tacascarow wrote:
mercalia wrote:I think the explanation is that both had just tried to install Windows 10 and it didnt work and their pcs all messed up :lol:

maybe the cyclist should have been further out in the road so that the driver couldnt pass? when this happens to me and I know a car behind me I cycle into a gap of the parked cars - I see there was one coming up? the car driver should have considered this first and given time for this to happen?

Any way scarey all around, atleast the car driver had a fall and grazed his hands. One of these days a cyclist will pull out a taser, and taser the driver :shock: can u get them on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-Returns-CATWOMAN-With-Whipping-Arm-Action-Taser-Gun-Kenner-1992-MOC-/161778248009?hash=item25aabc2949

not good enough :cry:
I was in a discussion a few weeks back with a cyclist from the States who was amazed when I said it's illegal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
Actually made them think twice about coming here to tour.

The cyclist in this instance handled it badly but that's no excuse for the drivers ignorance of the highway code or his subsequent attempt to harm property & physical.
If you are trying to prove a point with a camera the best thing you can do is shut up & let the camera & the offender do the talking.

this does seem to be legal according to the web site?
http://www.ukpreppersguide.co.uk/legal-pepper-spray-for-self-defence
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Arguable... but it isn't pepper spray :? That website looks like one for the tin foil hat brigade.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tacascarow wrote: ... I was in a discussion a few weeks back with a cyclist from the States who was amazed when I said it's illegal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
Actually made them think twice about coming here to tour. ...

(I missed this before until I saw it quoted.)

If you speak to them again, you might mention that guns aren't generally allowed here, either. Whether that will encourage them to come here to tour I don't know.
irc

Post by irc »

Bicycler wrote:Arguable... but it isn't pepper spray :? That website looks like one for the tin foil hat brigade.

Yes, I've never felt the need to be armed while cycling. Though I think if one wants to carry a non weapon spray about then there are plenty substances supplied in aerosol cans which would stop/irritate an attacker if sprayed in his face.

Though arguably as soon as you use it the spray becomes an illegal offensive weapon.

The term 'offensive weapon' is defined as: "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use".

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offe ... icles/#a07