Boris' backie

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
iviehoff

Re: Boris' backie

Post by iviehoff »

There is at least one case on what it means for a bicycle to be "adapted" for carrying passengers. A few years ago someone was prosecuted for carrying a child on a saddle they had stuck onto the top tube with sticky tape. The case was not contested, so it doesn't set legal precedent. But it tends to suggest "adapted" is interpreted as meaning "properly adapted", some ad hoc solution like putting a cushion on the back-rack doesn't count.
mjr

Post by mjr »

As my back rack is specifically advertised for giving lifts, I'd be willing to give it a go. I'm pretty sure the police will stop the surprising number around here who give lifts on their handlebars before they argue the toss with me... but it's generally simpler if the other person rides their own bike so they can go off independently if needed. If they're somewhere without a bike and want one, I can put the folding bike on the rack or in the trailer.
Last edited by mjr on 29 Jul 2015, 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:As my back rack is specifically advertised for giving lifts...
Then surely it is... "...adapted for the carriage of more than one person"
How do the police decide what is and what isn't?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

iviehoff wrote:There is at least one case on what it means for a bicycle to be "adapted" for carrying passengers. A few years ago someone was prosecuted for carrying a child on a saddle they had stuck onto the top tube with sticky tape. The case was not contested, so it doesn't set legal precedent. But it tends to suggest "adapted" is interpreted as meaning "properly adapted", some ad hoc solution like putting a cushion on the back-rack doesn't count.

I *think* that it was one of the normal kid saddles, but had tape around the mount as well
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Boris was very polite with his 'night night'.

Motorists and pedestrians are often very keen to let cyclists know when they are breaking the letter of the law.

It's odd that many people expect cyclists to be totally and utterly law abiding while they seem to tolerate other road users, especially motorists, breaking rules whenever they choose.

Perhaps Boris had decided he was entitled to break the law as he is an experienced cyclists who can decide how to ride better than our lawmakers.

This type of argument is often put forward by motorists who choose to break speed limits or parking rules.
mjr

Post by mjr »

blackbike wrote:Motorists and pedestrians are often very keen to let cyclists know when they are breaking the letter of the law.

And ironically thereby themselves often break http://highwaycode.info/rule/147
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I *think* that it was one of the normal kid saddles, but had tape around the mount as well

It was a saddle intended for that purpose. But the picture I saw showed it crudely and insecurely attached with tape.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

iviehoff wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I *think* that it was one of the normal kid saddles, but had tape around the mount as well

It was a saddle intended for that purpose. But the picture I saw showed it crudely and insecurely attached with tape.

You can't tell what was under the tape - I was hoping that it had been attached...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Roger Geffen

Post by Roger Geffen »

It has been an offence since at least the Road Traffic Act 1960 (see section 13 of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eli ... 16/enacted).

More background info here, including figures showing how few people are prosecuted or fined for this somewhat trifling offence: https://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/davidmurray ... ife-backie
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One view is that this is OK because in Holland they do it all the time.

IMO, this is another aspect of the current HGV drivers' blindspots thread. In Holland they seem to keep cyclists away from much of the traffic danger, but here we don't.

viewtopic.php?p=922513#p922513
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I must admit to not knowing it was illegal - not that I'm likely to give anyone a backie these days, I value my hard earned energy far too much.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

You wouldn't see the Chinese riding two on one bike!

tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I think all the above is another days discussion and £300 claimed at the House of Fraud.

More subsidised grub and wine m'Laud? And for you,Lord Coke(not Cola darhlin)?
gaz

Post by gaz »

iviehoff wrote:There is at least one case on what it means for a bicycle to be "adapted" for carrying passengers. A few years ago someone was prosecuted for carrying a child on a saddle they had stuck onto the top tube with sticky tape. ...

Anyone wishing to re-examine this will find the related thread here.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Heltor Chasca wrote:............I'm no politician or conservative supporter but I've always liked Boris. He knows how to have fun and I guess so does his wife! Good on him for being so restrained with all those interfering, controlling numpties................

For what it's worth, I think that's about where I stand on the matter...................