Horses: modern ones selected from what stock?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Horses: modern ones selected from what stock?

Post by Flinders »

661-Pete wrote:
Flinders wrote:I think the risks riders and horses ace are depressingly similar to ours as cyclists, so maybe we need to show solidarity - if bad/thoughtless/agressive drivers could all be persuaded to drive as well as the vast majority, we'd all be better off.

+1

I always try to announce "Bike(s) coming" as I approach a horse. In a firm tone of voice, so that the horse can hear it as well as the rider, but not a shout. Horses react well to human voices, that's one thing they're accustomed to.

That's my preferred option, either when riding or cycling. And thank you for being so considerate! :mrgreen:
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

MartinC wrote:
Tacascarow wrote:That has little to do with consideration & nearly everything to do with lack of experience.
I've nearly been taken out by caravans, boat trailers, general car trailers, car transporters & horse boxes.
A separate test to tow a trailer over a certain size & weight should be mandatory IMHO.

Yebbut, not bothering to learn how to do it safely is a lack of consideration in itself. Besides some of the conversations I've had indicate that some of them at least don't consider a too close pass as anything that they need to bother about.

I was merely pointing out that horse boxes aren't unique. But you are right not learning how a trailer of any sort behaves is inconsiderate.
In my part of the world caravans & boat trailers are more common than horse boxes & their owners probably don't take them on the road as often as many horse riders.

One advantage horse riders have over cyclists is their sheer presence & the fact many drivers are justly scared to go to close or fast.
More than one driver has been killed because a horse has reared & come down through the windscreen.
I can't remember any incident where a driver has been killed when involved with a cyclist.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

When I started driving a horse box it quickly became apparent to me how bad the general standard of driving was. Horses are very quick with feedback if they can't cope with your driving.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Tacascarow wrote:
MartinC wrote:
Tacascarow wrote:That has little to do with consideration & nearly everything to do with lack of experience.
I've nearly been taken out by caravans, boat trailers, general car trailers, car transporters & horse boxes.
A separate test to tow a trailer over a certain size & weight should be mandatory IMHO.

Yebbut, not bothering to learn how to do it safely is a lack of consideration in itself. Besides some of the conversations I've had indicate that some of them at least don't consider a too close pass as anything that they need to bother about.

I was merely pointing out that horse boxes aren't unique. But you are right not learning how a trailer of any sort behaves is inconsiderate.
In my part of the world caravans & boat trailers are more common than horse boxes & their owners probably don't take them on the road as often as many horse riders.

One advantage horse riders have over cyclists is their sheer presence & the fact many drivers are justly scared to go to close or fast.
More than one driver has been killed because a horse has reared & come down through the windscreen.
I can't remember any incident where a driver has been killed when involved with a cyclist.
Few drivers are actually as scared as they should be when it comes to going too close. They tend to estimate a horse's width as far less than it is, rather as they sometimes do with bikes.

The usual scenario in a horse/vehicle impact is a dead or injured horse and a damaged vehicle. Riders are usually the next in line, with drivers and passengers only rarely getting injured. Like a cyclist, a horse is actually pretty vulnerable, as although it is big, something like a broken shoulder which wouldn't be fatal to a human is 100% fatal for horses, unfortunately, and despite incredible modern medical advances, even a broken leg can't always be fixed for a horse, and if not, that's a 'fatal' too.