Loose stones on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JamesE

Re: Loose stones on the road

Post by JamesE »

chris_suffolk wrote:After heavy rain, round about the time of the DD as I recall, lots of sand is washed out of the surrounding land.

Aha! Thanks. Yes, it had been raining heavily for a week or so beforehand – I’d been eyeing the forecast nervously. Any idea if the councils clear the roads or if motor traffic eventually pushes the sand aside?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I remember even 15-20 years ago coming across enormous piles of stones, up to potato size, sometimes filling most of the width of a single-track lane, generally following recent heavy rain. I think one has to appreciate this is a hazard one is likely to encounter, especially on minor lanes, especially following recent heavy rain. Councils cannot realistically inspect minor roads very often, and are unlikely to sweep them more than once or twice a year.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

CREPELLO wrote:Here in Shropshire, the roads are being kept in what I would describe as a 'just about acceptable' state. Any worse and it will be unacceptable.

Here in Buckinghamshire we dream of having our roads in as good a condition as Shropshire's.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

iviehoff wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:Here in Shropshire, the roads are being kept in what I would describe as a 'just about acceptable' state. Any worse and it will be unacceptable.

Here in Buckinghamshire we dream of having our roads in as good a condition as Shropshire's.

I did a short loop with a friend 2 weeks ago from Aston Clinton to Thame and back and the roads by and large were very good, far better than Hertfordshire's :(
jochta

Post by jochta »

Many lanes in the Chilterns have large drifts of grit and debris over them, e.g. near Ipsden, Stoke Row and Checkendon, some of which form part of NCN5. Debris covers the whole carriageway in places. Clearing of debris is the responsibility of Oxfordshire County Council's Highways Department but they've practically abandoned some of the smaller lanes, e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/KtSeO is a lot worse now than in that view, and aren't interested in going out and sweeping them every so often.
rp3231

Post by rp3231 »

It is currently "gravel season" on Hertfordshire's lanes. A couple of my favourites - a large pile of gravel around a blind left bend on a slight descent. Not only won't you see it but you won't be moving in a straight line when you hit it, so more likely to come off.

A pile of gravel stretching the entire width of the road at the bottom of a short steep descent, here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.84621 ... 56!6m1!1e1

This spot was always dodgy anyway but now is really quite dangerous.