Hi Viz plod gets space

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bikerwaser

Hi Viz plod gets space

Post by bikerwaser »

So it's the first time I've worn my nerdy Hi-Viz Copper look-a-like tabard and Errrmm, strangely it's the first time I've got space on the road. 15 miles of bike riding today in the grey and wet and not one car shaved past me which is the first time ever. (normally I'd have one or 2 near death experiences within that distance)
Coincidence ? I think not !

I know i look like a nerd but at least this nerd lives to fight another day ! Lol !
Attachments
Hi Viz 50% smaller 2.jpg
Hi Viz 50% smaller 2.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
Hi Viz 50% smaller 1.jpg
Hi Viz 50% smaller 1.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
The fat commuter

Re: Hi Viz plod gets space

Post by The fat commuter »

Where did you buy that from? I'm semi considering one.

Are they legal - as in, you won't get 'done' for impersonating a police officer?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No impersonation there...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 9&pg=11186

you can see on "related items" the POLITE tabard. My brother has one of those and even when walking through town people do a double take.
I stand corrected but i heard the POLITE tabard idea was thought up by a chief inspector.
jezer

Post by jezer »

It seems that some drivers will only take notice if they think they are abusing police officers. Is that because they believe no action will be taken if other road users are put at risk? That sounds about right to me.
Power to the pedals
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

[XAP]Bob wrote:No impersonation there...
It beats the Men in Black impersonation.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

bikerwaser wrote:http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=139&pg=11186

you can see on "related items" the POLITE tabard. My brother has one of those and even when walking through town people do a double take.
I stand corrected but i heard the POLITE tabard idea was thought up by a chief inspector.

A study mentioned in this article looked at how much space drivers gave to cyclists wearing different outfits, and found that the only outfit that made an appreciable difference to the amount of room motorists gave to the cyclist was one that actually said 'Police'. Everything else, including the Polite tabard, had little effect...
mjr

Post by mjr »

It didn't work for me when I tried a random test. The only things that got me significantly more room were eyeballing overtakers and hanging things off the right side of the rear rack. I should retry with a rear facing camera and see if that helps but I don't ride on so many nasty roads now I live in Norfolk.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:It didn't work for me when I tried a random test. The only things that got me significantly more room were eyeballing overtakers and hanging things off the right side of the rear rack. I should retry with a rear facing camera and see if that helps but I don't ride on so many nasty roads now I live in Norfolk.

When riding with a single pannier I always put it on the right side, nearest the traffic, to give the illusion of extra width. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't get many worryingly close overtakes.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I have a red LED light on the right-hand end of my bars which helps to get more space from motorists. Works best in the dark (obviously) but can still be seen on all but the brightest of days.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I also use lights ( sometimes 3 flashing at different times )and i also have a lollipop which i have extended a bit but nothing has worked as well as this.
It must be that brief doubt in the drivers minds about "is it or isn't it a copper".

The journeys i take are chosen for the least time on the roads but sometimes it's unavoidable. This journey with the "copper tabard" was in broad daylight but as it was so grey and wet the other day i thought it was worth vizzing up.
The journey was only 15 mile ( half of which is on road ) . Normally i'd have 1 or 2 near death experiences within this distance but this is the first time i made it that distance with nothing, in fact i was quite happy with their passing distance.

i can only put it down to the "Plod factor".

Like i said while my brother was walking down the high street people would do a double take so if they would be in a car they wouldn't have the time to scrutinize the tabard. they'd just be careful when passing just in case.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think one of the impersonation offences is open to be argued. The offence:
Any person who, not being a constable, wears any article of police uniform in circumstances where it gives him an appearance so nearly resembling that of a member of a police force as to be calculated to deceive shall be guilty of an offence

“article of police uniform” means any article of uniform or any distinctive badge or mark or document of identification usually issued to members of police forces or special constables, or anything having the appearance of such an article, badge, mark or document,

Given that the purpose of this clothing is to resemble police clothing so as to mislead passing travellers into thinking that you are a police officer, I would not wish to guarantee that a genuine police officer will never take the view that this falls within the scope of the offence.

Personally I wouldn't be happy wearing such a thing but I know that a decent number of people do.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I quite like it, though it does look a little distinctive.

It seems to be single sided (may be wrong on that) from the piccie on the website, so do you wear the panel facing forwards or backwards?

(Edit: perhaps that is the zip pocket).

Ferdinand
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

ferdinand wrote:I quite like it, though it does look a little distinctive.

It seems to be single sided (may be wrong on that) from the piccie on the website, so do you wear the panel facing forwards or backwards?

(Edit: perhaps that is the zip pocket).

Ferdinand

Yes, the zip pocket is at the front.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

tatanab wrote:
It beats the Men in Black impersonation.

I guess that black suit / black tie / white shirt / dark glasses and shiny black shoes probably isn't the best cycling outfit...

On the other hand, you do get to wipe the memories of other road users!