Newbie to Road bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
1kcove

Newbie to Road bikes

Post by 1kcove »

I've been MTB riding for 10 years but fancied trying a Road Sportive Event & a bit of Touring, Cycle Routes etc. I bought a Giant Revolt this is a good allrounder for what I'm interested in doing,entered my first event yesterday 100mile Sportive, felt fairly safe as there are plenty of other riders, but the question is how safe am i on the roads or should i stick to cycle paths where possible?
Last edited by 1kcove on 26 Jul 2015, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Newbie to Road

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Do you feel safe when walking on the pavement?

You're slightly safer cycling on the road... (comparison per mile)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Try reading Cyclecraft by John Franklin if you aren't used to cycling on roads. That's the classic on how to do it safely.
All the best.
karlt

Post by karlt »

I'd worry more about your first experience on a road bike being a 100 miles on a bike that's new to you, to be honest.
foxyrider

Re: Newbie to Road bikes

Post by foxyrider »

read the advice on the British Cycling website - plenty there for the newbie rider
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Do you mean you've been MTBing for 10 years and not ridden on a road? Surely not.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've been riding on the road for about 50 years and the only injuries I've had have been down to me falling off or cycling into things, with nobody else involved. I'd be more at risk cycling in a forest with all those trees to hit! You will be more at risk than me through lack of familiarity, but just read up on how to do it and don't jump in at the deep end by taking on city centre commuting. And don't be too nervous!
1kcove

Post by 1kcove »

MikeF wrote:Do you mean you've been MTBing for 10 years and not ridden on a road? Surely not.

Yes on an mtb to get to trails etc 10-15 miles on road, but not 100 mile rides on a road bike.