very very clever?!? Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

very very clever?!? Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane

Post by mercalia »

Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33628011
gaz

Re: very very clever?!? Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane

Post by gaz »

The shared use bus stop is a tried and tested design.

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The obvious question is, why is this news? Warrington has been telling us about these things for years. Perhaps it's that the Beeb have only just noticed...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

That Glasgow cycle track looks like one that was put in in the run up to the commonwealth games when they were trying to showcase Glasgow and promote health and sport. Now we are a year past the games they have obviously decided to go back to normal.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:The shared use bus stop is a tried and tested design.

looks very dangerous if u are supposed to cycle on the pavement, same space where peds maybe?

I've never seen the like in London, unless the pavement was wide enough for both

Its one thing to share a pavement, another think to do what they did to a dedicated CYCLE PATH
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Be fair, they are planning to move the cycle path back around it. Why that couldn't have been done first is beyond me though
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Be fair, they are planning to move the cycle path back around it. Why that couldn't have been done first is beyond me though

'Planning' = 'do it if/when we can find the money', perhaps? :roll:
"42"
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

All it means is that they don't really give a monkey's about cyclists but they'll fix it later for a quiet life.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

This is interesting as something similar is happening in newcastle. I was on the bus yesterday travelling down through Gosforth in Newcastle, a suburb with quite busy urban dual carriageway. The road is only 30mph though and the two lanes tend to have sections of bus lane mixed in. They've now decided to put in a cycle lane so the road is two lanes of traffic plus cycle lane. The cycle lane comes and goes as there are bus stops where it seems to either leave the main road and go in front or behind the bus stop then return to the road. The Glasgow bus stop situation seems to reflect this routing that I observed.... but the shelters on the route I saw are long term stops not to be moved. There are also bizarre curved lumps in the road every 2mtres or so seperating bikes and cars. I've tried to find a photo of this bizarre lump but cannot so far, they look like an accident waiting to happen I'd not like to hit one with a bike wheel but I think they are there to stop cars parking in the bike lane/ crossing into and maybe also to free up the bus lane from cyclists... I think. Its hard to get into the mindset of urban planners but I'm sure some cycling experts must have been consulted somewhere down the line.
To view it from the top deck of the bus had me concerned as it seemed on the road, off the road, on the road etc and to my eyes there were too many areas of mixed hazards from bus stops to pedestrians going to get in their cars. It may work..... but it may work to put people off using it too. Cars and bikes should be able to mix without such measures, the bottom line is we're all just humans using a machine to propel us so why is it so difficult... it's we who control those machines not the other way around.

UPDATE: the lump in the road looks like one of these below:-

http://en.zicla.com/public/img/140121_separador-carril-bic-plastico-reciclado.jpeg

quite big too.

UPDATE No2: I've found a link to an image of the real items on the road in Gosforth, it seems they cause others concern too, very strange shape and quite large

http://cl.ly/image/0k0Z1w3F0O0O/11391557_1054922674536982_2683801170763386697_n.jpg
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

old_windbag wrote:UPDATE No2: I've found a link to an image of the real items on the road in Gosforth, it seems they cause others concern too, very strange shape and quite large

http://cl.ly/image/0k0Z1w3F0O0O/11391557_1054922674536982_2683801170763386697_n.jpg

And the useful width of the cycle lane is...
too narrow :roll:
"42"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You mean it's possible to put a bus stop someplace other than the shared use facility? Well, I never...

:shock: :? :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

yes the cycle lane looks very narrow, I noticed that looking at the two workmen who are either very wide or normal size so probably 5ft of cycle lane. Singularly thats rideable but if the great transport revolution happened and say 50% of car drivers took to bicycles for short commutes then there'd be a rather large cycle jam on newcastles great north road I'd imagine. Also many angry bus stop passengers.

Legal Notice: I apologise for calling the road the "great north road" and do not wish to cause confusion with the great north run or any other trademarked names with the english words "great north" within them :) .
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Be fair, they are planning to move the cycle path back around it. Why that couldn't have been done first is beyond me though

Yes but the cycle lane has been there for a couple of years, so why if they want a bus stop in that location didn't they put the bus stop on the pavement where they normally are? Routing the cycle lane behind the bus stop is crazy when it was there first.
And looking at the other story linked to on the same bbc page, it looks like they have put at least three bus stops into the cycle lane in that area, the first three photos are all around the same part of town http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-33625259
Ascidian

Post by Ascidian »

I cycle along the Great North road, in Newcastle, several times a week. I just ignore those lanes and have not seen anyone else using them. Newcastle City Council are going to be putting bus stop/cycle lanes on Westgate Road which is quite steep.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

rualexander wrote:Yes but the cycle lane has been there for a couple of years, so why if they want a bus stop in that location didn't they put the bus stop on the pavement where they normally are? Routing the cycle lane behind the bus stop is crazy when it was there first

Wandsworth council have done it the other way round. Creating a cycle path by the A3 dual carriageway they have just appropriated a strip of pavment covering it in coloured tarmac alongside the road. This has been done regardless of existing street furniture, thus we have the advantage of street lamps, road sign poles and a post box in the middle of the cycle path as well as bus stops that the cycle path slices through.
If its possible to cock up something a council will, repeatedly.