Car Width over the ages

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Car Width over the ages

Post by Mick F »

My late father-in-law was a big chap. 6ft 5ins and broad too. Quite an imposing chap, though mild mannered, gentle and gregarious.
He was the Town Crier for West Lancashire for many many years.
He drove a Reliant Regal when I first met him, graduating to a Reliant Robin, then a Rialto.

One day, whilst on TC duty, he officiated at a motor show and was asked if he would like to be photographed in the top of the range Volvo on the Volvo stand.

Guess what?
He couldn't even get into it. :lol: :lol:

Volvo were very embarrassed, and Father in Law talked about this for years! He was SO proud of Reliants and the fact that he could drive on happily and comfortably but couldn't even get into a Volvo. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Saw a Mark One Cortina the other day and it looked tiny. When my dad had one in the sixties it seemed a good sized family car if anything a bit bigger than the average.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:My late father-in-law was a big chap. 6ft 5ins and broad too. Quite an imposing chap, though mild mannered, gentle and gregarious.
He was the Town Crier for West Lancashire for many many years.
He wore a Reliant Regal when I first met him, graduating to a Reliant Robin, then a Rialto.

:D

EFA :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

He had to have the seat right back of course.
"Wearing" the car isn't far off a good description!
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:Saw a Mark One Cortina the other day and it looked tiny. When my dad had one in the sixties it seemed a good sized family car if anything a bit bigger than the average.

I had a 1966 Mk1 1500L estate bought for £175 in about 1973/4 great car never let me down,sold in 1977/8 for £170 :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefish Blues

Post by Bonefish Blues »

Id you want a really good example of this trend, Google Porsche 911 through the years or similar. Every generation has grown and current iterations dwarf the originals.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Here's an example: Mk1 next to latest version (mk 6?) VW Golf - newer one is significantly bigger.
http://www.newspress.co.uk/downloads/me ... 207_01.JPG
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

BigFoz wrote:Here's an example: Mk1 next to latest version (mk 6?) VW Golf - newer one is significantly bigger.

still only 15.8cm wider (1628-1786mm)...measure that between your hands, that makes jack all difference in the real world on any road.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cars are getting bigger enough that it makes a difference in narrow streets; also because of the shape of modern cars, many drivers are less well aware of where the corners of the car are, which can be over or under-compensated for by the driver. Both are potentially dangerous.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tonyf33 wrote:
BigFoz wrote:Here's an example: Mk1 next to latest version (mk 6?) VW Golf - newer one is significantly bigger.

still only 15.8cm wider (1628-1786mm)...measure that between your hands, that makes jack all difference in the real world on any road.

It does if you get clattered by a wing mirror of a Mk7 just after a Mk1 has passed you, presumably.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I just twigged - you have to click on the link to see both cars...

I wonder how much of the extra width is down to the more 'modern' headlamp design? My current car is not a VW, but it has a headlamp arrangement almost identical to that of the car on the right - i.e. the modern twin reflectors design instead of the older single round reflector. So room has got to be found for these wider lamps somehow - you still need space for the radiator, so increase the overall body width?

Perhaps someone can explain to me the new design's advantage over the old. What I can say is, I'm baffled as to where to stick the deflectors for Continental driving. There don't appear to be any guidelines... (literally).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:

It does if you get clattered by a wing mirror of a Mk7 just after a Mk1 has passed you, presumably.

In the sense it shouldn't be enough of a difference to be an excuse, being clattered by a MK7 is down to driver attitude/awareness, nothing more,nothing less. The width of your vehicle is NEVER an excuse to be struck, forced off or be intimidated by.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My comment was rather tongue in cheek, but I think it's more significant than you are crediting.

It's not so much the regular overtakes, regular traffic conditions etc., of course there is plenty of room in that context, but two cars of similar size coming upon each other around a bend with a cyclist in the mix, and that foot could make a very significant difference, given the instinct to avoid the big object you're about to hit.

...and I know it shouldn't happen, but we know it does.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:Saw a Mark One Cortina the other day and it looked tiny. When my dad had one in the sixties it seemed a good sized family car if anything a bit bigger than the average.

I had a 1966 Mk1 1500L estate bought for £175 in about 1973/4 great car never let me down,sold in 1977/8 for £170 :D

Dad's was a 1500 saloon - with the CND back lights :-)

We shouldn't be surprised cars are getting wider because people are getting wider .........
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker