Pedestrians' view of bells ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Pedestrians' view of bells ?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

John Holiday wrote:Have Dutch type 'ding/dong' bells on most of my cycles , & almost always get a positive reaction from people that I pass.
They seem to be effective at up to 50 m.range, but obviously fail to penetrate to walkers using headphones!
The Sustrans mantra of 'Share with Care' comes to mind!

SusTootle you mean?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I find pinging a (ping) bell (and deciding how soon to ping) when on shared paths a mild bit of a drag:

I wondered about an electronic box with a sampled 'meep meep' from the road runner cartoon*set to repeat periodically enough to obviate bell ringing except for blind corners etc? :D

*or some other jokey friendly noise
But will it sound at the right time? :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

John Holiday wrote:Have Dutch type 'ding/dong' bells on most of my cycles , & almost always get a positive reaction from people that I pass.
They seem to be effective at up to 50 m.range, but obviously fail to penetrate to walkers using headphones!
The Sustrans mantra of 'Share with Care' comes to mind!

I often wonder why many object to allowing cyclists to use sections of pavements, paths through parks, public footpaths etc. Then I hear cyclists say that people ought to walk in die straight lines or single file, shouldn't wear headphones, or walk dogs etc. etc.

Shared use of existing pedestrian paths is at best a stop gap or a partial solution appropriate in limited circumstances. As a main focus of cycle policy - as it effectively seems to be in the UK - it takes us down a path of confrontation and mutual inconvenience. The key to creating space for cycling is not the regimentation of pedestrians but the reallocation of space
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bicycler wrote:I often wonder why many object to allowing cyclists to use sections of pavements, paths through parks, public footpaths etc. Then I hear cyclists say that people ought to walk in die straight lines or single file, shouldn't wear headphones, or walk dogs etc. etc.

I think that's exaggerating. I think if a path is mixed-use, then everyone should share. For people walking, that basically amounts to looking up occasionally and not walking 10m abreast. For people cycling, it means giving others at least 1.5m of space if you can, else ringing your bell well ahead and slowing to a speed that you could stop safely from, passing behind people as much as possible and basically not treating others how bad motorists treat us on the carriageway.

Shared use of existing pedestrian paths is...

Ah, now, that's a key word: "existing". That's rarely a good option. However, where a path is built or rebuilt as mixed-use, especially if it's funded by cycling budgets, then I think it can be OK, but:

The key to creating space for cycling is not the regimentation of pedestrians but the reallocation of space

I'll drink to that! Is it Friday already? :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

mjr wrote:
Bicycler wrote:I often wonder why many object to allowing cyclists to use sections of pavements, paths through parks, public footpaths etc. Then I hear cyclists say that people ought to walk in die straight lines or single file, shouldn't wear headphones, or walk dogs etc. etc.

I think that's exaggerating. I think if a path is mixed-use, then everyone should share. For people walking, that basically amounts to looking up occasionally and not walking 10m abreast. For people cycling, it means giving others at least 1.5m of space if you can, else ringing your bell well ahead and slowing to a speed that you could stop safely from, passing behind people as much as possible and basically not treating others how bad motorists treat us on the carriageway.

Yes there's some exaggeration. As we all know cyclists are not all the same and neither are their attitudes. FWIW I agree with your summary of the roles of different groups. Whilst 10m abreast walking is obviously inappropriate, we can't say the same to two people walking side by side on typical UK 2-3m wide shared use paths.

mjr wrote:
Shared use of existing pedestrian paths is...

Ah, now, that's a key word: "existing". That's rarely a good option. However, where a path is built or rebuilt as mixed-use, especially if it's funded by cycling budgets, then I think it can be OK

It is a key word and I used it deliberately. Unfortunately former pedestrian paths seem to make up the majority of routes open to cyclists at the present time. We sometimes talk about mixed use paths as if they were ever thus. Often it's just that a few signs have been placed and now pedestrians are expected to behave differently. I keep harking back to it but the problem is often inadequate width for the level of pedestrian and/or cycle use which creates conflict. If the path is wide enough and flows not too high it becomes a non-issue. But I do think that when using such inadequate shared formerly pedestrian-only paths that we need to be accepting of ordinary pedestrian behaviour such as dog walking and headphone wearing. It would be damaging to the prospect of opening more such paths to cyclists (and I'd rather they were open than not) if permitting cycles becomes associated with greater inconvenience to pedestrians. The situation is obviously different where a new multi-use route is opened, there is no existing group to be inconvenienced. Upgraded paths can probably fall into either category. A re-laying of tarmac for the accommodation of cycles does little to change the status quo. A widened good quality path might facilitate convenient use by both groups. Ideally I'd want paths with high numbers of cyclists, for example advertised cycle routes, to be segregated rather than shared use.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bicycler wrote:Whilst 10m abreast walking is obviously inappropriate, we can't say the same to two people walking side by side on typical UK 2-3m wide shared use paths.

There's a big difference between 2m and 3m width. About a metre, in fact! Two people can walk side by side on a 3m path and be passed (slowly!) by most people cycling. 2m width effectively becomes a tidal flow situation and is not an acceptable width for anything except very light flows. If there's much traffic volume (foot or cycle), 3m is probably a bit tight if it's used for any length and I'd be looking for other routes. I sometimes use National Cycle Route 1 between the town centre and Lynnsport despite the King Route being shorter because National is between 3m and 10m wide (mostly 4m), whereas I think King is nearly all 3m and slow going when busy.

Bicycler wrote:Unfortunately former pedestrian paths seem to make up the majority of routes open to cyclists at the present time.

As in unreconstructed/unwidened and just the bad old blue-signs-and-white-paint jobs? Is that true? Maybe we're blessed around King's Lynn, but even when Norfolk County Council were making cheap substandard mixed-use paths, at least they still widened the tarmac in all but a few cases, usually to 3m. (Unlike the Highways Agency / Highways England who still won't widen their 1.2m abomination with zero-radius corners.)

But I do think that when using such inadequate shared formerly pedestrian-only paths that we need to be accepting of ordinary pedestrian behaviour such as dog walking and headphone wearing. It would be damaging to the prospect of opening more such paths to cyclists (and I'd rather they were open than not) if permitting cycles becomes associated with greater inconvenience to pedestrians.

I'd probably rather they were open than not, but I'd really rather they were upgraded to suitable width. Outside of urban areas, there's usually verge width available to do so. Inside urban areas, there's usually carriageway width available to do so. (I know there's not always, so please no examples this time).

Ideally I'd want paths with high numbers of cyclists, for example advertised cycle routes, to be segregated rather than shared use.

I have never seen effective segregation of cycles and walkers. We are unlikely to see the police enforcing it like they do bans on walking along motorways (and again, do we want to treat people walking as badly as motorists do?), so we need to be accepting of ordinary pedestrian behaviour - people will walk wherever, regardless of whether it's marked as foot path or cycle path. The main thing that formal segregation attempts have done is limit the available width for cycling, resulting in congestion, conflict and some really stupid attempts to fine people. Oh and some nasties will start shouting abuse at people who stray into "their" bit of space, which is never fun :(

By all means, use visual cues (using colour differences to mark out a cycling channel and pseudo-footways, for example) to encourage people to ride and walk on different bits of it, but please no more legal limits on the ability to use the full width to give enough space when passing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I always feel cheeky/silly ringing a bell. I would rather shout "bike coming through" or something. :oops:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Manc33 wrote:I always feel cheeky/silly ringing a bell. I would rather shout "bike coming through" or something. :oops:

Or , more usefully "passing on your right". (ie no need to react, just don't suddenly go right).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manc33 wrote:I always feel cheeky/silly ringing a bell. I would rather shout "bike coming through" or something. :oops:

I'd never use that phrase.
I always slow down,shout a friendly "ding,ding" followed by ''excuse me could I squeeze past please'' .
Of course like bells it isn't always a fail safe and though the overwhelming majority of people thank me for my courtesy some just can't be pleased.
Whilst out on the MTB last Saturday on a 4m wide bridleway as I approached a group of around fifteen ramblers from behind,I slowed to around 5 to 6mph and announced my presence from about 10 to 15m with a cheery ''ding ding'' followed by my plea to get by,though most in the group were aware of my presence already.
Almost everyone in the group acknowledged my presence by either turning their heads toward me or moving to either side of the track,most smiled and thanked me as I passed by and I thanked them in return.
But there's always one :? ,a lady's voice spoken loudly so I could hear said "of course they don't have bell's these days do they".I quickly replied "no they say DING DING and excuse themselves!".
I'd let them know with an "audible warning" I'd excused myself,and thanked them for letting me by in a friendly way,but there's just no pleasing some :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:I always slow down,shout a friendly "ding,ding" followed by ''excuse me could I squeeze past please'' .

By the time I'm close enough to say that and be understood, I've basically stopped behind them anyway and that really seems to stress some people out. I'd much rather ring a bell from a good distance and repeat a little closer if needed, only resorting to shouting at people if the bell's really not being heard.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I always slow down,shout a friendly "ding,ding" followed by ''excuse me could I squeeze past please'' .

By the time I'm close enough to say that and be understood, I've basically stopped behind them anyway and that really seems to stress some people out. I'd much rather ring a bell from a good distance and repeat a little closer if needed, only resorting to shouting at people if the bell's really not being heard.

My experience is different.
Similair to when approaching horseriders,I'd never ring a bell but shout a friendly "hello cyclist" and pass wide and slow when I've been acknowledged, without exception I'm thanked,i've never got to the position where I've needed to stop for a horse & rider,so what's the difference?
W H Auden
velotramp

Post by velotramp »

Since fitting one to my bike I've found (to my amusement) that most people's reaction to my ping is to immediately look around their feet to see how much money they have just dropped :D
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

velotramp wrote:Since fitting one to my bike I've found (to my amusement) that most people's reaction to my ping is to immediately look around their feet to see how much money they have just dropped :D

Happens a lot in Yorkshire :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

geocycle wrote:
velotramp wrote:Since fitting one to my bike I've found (to my amusement) that most people's reaction to my ping is to immediately look around their feet to see how much money they have just dropped :D

Happens a lot in Yorkshire :wink:

Even more in Scotland :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The Scots might do it but I doubt their ears are as keen.
A Yorkshireman is akin to a Scotsman who has lost his generosity. [emoji3]

Says a Yorkshireman who lives in Scotland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info