Is the entire field of view blocked for an HGV?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Post by aspiringcyclist »

[youtube]C1aSvoIpVss[/youtube]
Flinders

Re: So is the entire field of view blocked for an HGV?

Post by Flinders »

What on earth did the driver think he was doing? That bike must have been as obvious as a circus parade from any angle.
Glad the lady came forward, and nice of her to give the victim a hug.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:What on earth did the driver think he was doing? That bike must have been as obvious as a circus parade from any angle.
Glad the lady came forward, and nice of her to give the victim a hug.

+1
Absolutely unbelievable :shock: :shock: :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It looks like only looking for things the size of a car and maybe the bike was partially hidden by the frame of the cab and the large mirrors, as both vehicles seem to stay on the same angle in relation to each other as they get nearer to each other.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:It looks like only looking for things the size of a car and maybe the bike was partially hidden by the frame of the cab and the large mirrors, as both vehicles seem to stay on the same angle in relation to each other as they get nearer to each other.

So a small child wouldn't have stood a chance :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks or not, but surely if he had just hit something he should stayed put. NOT drive backwards and forwards. If he didn't get you the first time he would have got you the 2nd...or 3rd!

Should this bloke be driving? Well played to the motorcyclist for being so calm...b
Mark1978

Re: Is the entire field of view blocked for an HGV?

Post by Mark1978 »

There's an argument that lorries this sort of size should not be operating on these types of streets and you can see why.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

He never even asked if the chap was ok! Just more concerned about the lorry!

OMG WTH is wrong with people :twisted: I would hate to think what the driver would of told the police if the motorbiker didn't have a
camera and a witness :?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I hope that truck driver never drives for that employer again - nor for any other employer. In fact, he deserves never to drive anything again. I may be wrong, but it looks like he was trying to destroy the evidence. Just as well the biker suffered nothing worse than shock, and loss of his transport. I know what it's like to be in shock!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Errr... I know it's not meant to be funny, but I couldn't help thinking of the following old favourite (seeing as no-one got hurt):

A little guy is eating his lunch in a roadside cafe, when a gang of Hells Angels walk in. They look around for a bit, then some of them sit down at the little guy's table, surrounding him. He doesn't even blink. One of them picks up his teacup, takes a long swig, then puts it back on the table. The little guy totally ignores him. Another grabs a chip from his plate, dips it in his fried egg, and eats it. Then the biggest of the Angels picks up a sausage, chews off a large chunk, then puts it back on the plate. Still the little guy doesn't bat an eyelid.
Later, the little guy gets up, goes to the counter, pays and walks out.
The Hells Angels watch him go out, in astonishment. Finally, the ringleader beckons to the cafe owner. "Hey - that little bloke who just went out - not much of a man was he?"
The cafe owner glances out of the window, then replies "He's not much of a driver, either. He's just reversed his 44-tonne artic. over fifteen Harley-Davidsons...."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks or not, but surely if he had just hit something he should stayed put. NOT drive backwards and forwards.

I wondered that, but I think the editor has run the video back, and then forward, so that you can see the crash again. During the "rewind," the woman on the pavement looks to be walking backwards.
I used to be known as "maryinoxford," but I've moved...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

MarySkater wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks or not, but surely if he had just hit something he should stayed put. NOT drive backwards and forwards.

I wondered that, but I think the editor has run the video back, and then forward, so that you can see the crash again. During the "rewind," the woman on the pavement looks to be walking backwards.

Just looked again. The lorry reverses while the bike is all snarled up underneath it after the collision. What if that had been the rider who was stuck, unconscious and injured? A second wounding or worse? Awful.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

The problem is, if you watch the video. At no time is the driver of the lorry visible to the camera. & Vice versa
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It's difficult to see into the cab because of the reflections, but if you look at 6-7 secs you can see the driver's silhouette. He could and should have looked into the side road to check if it was clear. As it was he got his line totally wrong and came round the corner too fast - if you are going to drive on the wrong side of the road at least do it slowly enough for any 'obstacles' to get out of the way! I presume motorcycles don't have horns.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Between seconds 4-7 the driver had an excellent view right along the road. Should have been looking down the road to see if he had a clear turn in.

Is that a tinted window on the passenger side though?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info