Is This The First Road Rage Death?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
axel_knutt

Is This The First Road Rage Death?

Post by axel_knutt »

I wonder how long before this happens to a cyclist.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
iviehoff

Re: Is This The First Road Rage Death?

Post by iviehoff »

No, it isn't the first, not even in this country - and there are many cases in other countries. Though I do wonder if you specifically mean murder rather than death.

This guy is in prison for a road rage murder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Noye

Here's another person sent to prison for a road rage murder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28552876

Here is a case where someone got sent to prison for causing death by dangerous driving to some innocent third parties while having a road-rage argument with another driver. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-31139534

Because road rage is not a defined circumstance, there aren't statistics available on it.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

It's not the first in the UK by a country mile.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:It's not the first in the UK by a country mile.

This.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not the first - but scary all the same. I often drive, and sometimes cycle, along stretches of the A24, though that particular section is less familiar to me. Most of the time, the traffic is - more or less as you'd expect on a trunk D/C. Busy, but not usually murderous.

I hope they catch the perpetrator - soon.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Early days, of course, and you never know whether there's more to something like this than meets the eye, but the deceased was a very old man so it seems unlikely that this was something like a vendetta.

As others have posted, this certainly wouldn't be the first road rage death, if that proves to be the motive. And as I've posted before, if a driver falls out with a cyclist, they don't even need to overcome the protection provided by their victim's vehicle. They can crash into them and explain that it was an accident; that's if they bother to stop to offer an explanation.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It turns out that the victim was a keen cyclist. So perhaps the remark in the OP has more truth in it than you might think! :(
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13439964 ... e__attack/

And what's more: I'm racking my brains here, I'm wondering whether I might have known the victim. :( The name rings a bell. He may have been a colleague from many years back. Whether I'm right or wrong - tragic case.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
hondated

Post by hondated »

This as prompted my earlier post as I just think its awful that someone should die in this way.
Its painful enough but knowing the fella was one of " us " and just loved being out on his bike makes it even more awful.
Its about time that " road rage " incidents were treated far more seriously and those that do it get far stiffer penalties.
I know someone that got caught speeding on his motorcycle up in the Highlands and as a consequence he got a heavy fine and has been made to retake both his motorcycle and car tests when he finishes his years ban and in my opinion that's the sort of penalty someone committing a road rage incident should get as a minimum.
As for murder apart from the obvious sentence the person should never be allowed to drive a motorised vehicle again.
beardy

Post by beardy »

As for murder apart from the obvious sentence the person should never be allowed to drive a motorised vehicle again.

He didnt do anything noticeably wrong whilst driving his car.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

beardy wrote:He didnt do anything noticeably wrong whilst driving his car.
I can envisage the defence Counsel getting up to all sorts of antics here. "M'lud, my client did not at any time intend to murder the victim whilst he was driving. Indeed, he was only carrying a kitchen knife in the car because he expected to pick up a roadkill pheasant on his journey, and planned to pluck it and prepare it for the oven there and then....."
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

661-Pete wrote:It turns out that the victim was a keen cyclist. So perhaps the remark in the OP has more truth in it than you might think! :(
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13439964 ... e__attack/

And what's more: I'm racking my brains here, I'm wondering whether I might have known the victim. :( The name rings a bell. He may have been a colleague from many years back. Whether I'm right or wrong - tragic case.

I am informed by a chap on another forum that Don was a member of the Worthing Excelsior CC
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

beardy wrote:

I suspect it does not lie within the discretion of the courts to ban someone from driving when the charge is murder. I suspect the same would be true even if they had used the car as the murder weapon.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

beardy wrote:

But if he's the sort of moron who thinks a little knock to his precious car is worth killing for...

I certainly don't want to share the roads with that sort of creature.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Guy951 wrote:
beardy wrote:

But if he's the sort of moron who thinks a little knock to his precious car is worth killing for...

I certainly don't want to share the roads with that sort of creature.

It makes me wonder about our western society and the car culture we have created. Where things like having little silver labels saying 2.0 rather than 1.8 are really important to so many. Where things like having LX or better still GTX after the 2.0/1.8 make some people feel so important. Something very wrong.

Ian