Indicators, the lost art?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Re: Indicators, the lost art?

Post by brooksby »

bigjim wrote:I'm getting used to non indicators and don't get too adgitated about them. They are just part of our ever more selfish society. What does bug me is this new thing of actually deciding to indicate as they are turning. What's that all about? Too late mate. No good to me now! :roll:

Its an insurance thing. If someone runs into them, they can say that their indicators were on.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

brooksby wrote:
bigjim wrote:I'm getting used to non indicators and don't get too adgitated about them. They are just part of our ever more selfish society. What does bug me is this new thing of actually deciding to indicate as they are turning. What's that all about? Too late mate. No good to me now! :roll:

Its an insurance thing. If someone runs into them, they can say that their indicators were on.

Nah, it's just sheer laziness and sloppy driving. They just brush the indicator stalk as they are turning the steering wheel and probably think that's adequate.
drossall

Post by drossall »

The problem is further increased by differences between motorists and cyclists. Motorists increasingly seem to signal as they turn, just sticking out fingers to catch the indicator controls as their hands pass them. Cyclists signal before they turn, because they need their hands back on the bars for the turn itself. Cyclists are nearer to correct behaviour of course, though maybe more from necessity than anything else.

I do find though that drivers in London are better about signalling than those elsewhere, probably because they know that they will often be turning across a line that bikes often take.