Indicators, the lost art?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

Indicators, the lost art?

Post by jezer »

Why have so many motorists forgotten how to use these? As both a cyclist and a driver I find myself hesitating at junctions and roundabouts to see what drivers will do. In my car I make a point of indicating, but it's rare to see the following driver doing the same.
Power to the pedals
[XAP]Bob

Re: Indicators, the lost art?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Completely lost. Self cancelling indicators weren't a positive step....

Nearly got into trouble at a roundabout the other day. Car approaching in the left hand lane (of 2) from my right, indicating left - so I look to keep speed as I turn right.

The roundabout (from his viewpoint) only has left or straight on.

He was going straight on, fortunately I made my final check, slammed on the brakes and lifted the rear wheel. Cue one confused looking motorist, think he was looking forward to the bragging rights.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

A disappearing art, I agree.
The daily commute seems to cause loss of indicator function.
I'm convinced that many drivers thought process is something like: " I always go this way at this roundabout or junction. Everyone knows that. Why would I need to indicate?"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Even the police cars around here don't appear to have indicators fitted to them. So bloody annoying waiting to find out vehicles directions when you're not a mind reader.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, Mrs. Spinners and myself have noticed this in recent months. Even on motorways some folk regard it as being optional :?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
jezer

Post by jezer »

Perhaps a re-test for drivers every five years or so, as I've posted before?
Power to the pedals
oneten

Post by oneten »

Once heard a frustrated road user's shouted response to someone not indicating: "Sorry mate - I'm not very good at guessing games!"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jezer wrote:Why have so many motorists forgotten how to use these? As both a cyclist and a driver I find myself hesitating at junctions and roundabouts to see what drivers will do. In my car I make a point of indicating, but it's rare to see the following driver doing the same.

Annoying innit?
Idiots aren't they?

When I'm driving,tailgating is another,with young women being the vast majority of offenders IME,particularly in wet weather :evil: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

oneten wrote:Once heard a frustrated road user's shouted response to someone not indicating: "Sorry mate - I'm not very good at guessing games!"

I use, "Yeah, don't bother indicating mate... I'm psychic!"
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Indicators?? Aren't they optional extras?????
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mig

Post by mig »

yes i see plenty of these on a daily basis too. i do however find that a car with an uncancelled indicator to be equally confusing and dangerous.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have a local junction with TLs, which I often pass, where I usually go straight on, but motorists can only turn left or right; straight on is a cycle path. Nearly always motorists won't bother to indicate, and since there is only width for one approach lane, I'm left totally in the dark as to their intentions. When there used to be an ASL at these lights, I would sometimes position myself centrally in the box in front of the vehicle, then put out both my arms like an umpire signalling 'wide'. Then I'd point to the indicators on the car. But they usually didn't get the message, they were probably baffled. Drivers are slow to catch on.

They painted out the ASL and feeder lane there, some time ago. Probably just as well. Overtaking or undertaking a vehicle when you don't know which way it will turn, can be hazardous.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

I have noticed this over the past few years and quick roadside surveys (by myself) show that those indicating at some specific places (where it is definitely needed by other traffic in order to make progress) is below 50%.

There is however something worse, that when they do indicate they do it incorrectly which is far more dangerous. You are expecting the lack of an indicator to be an indication of nothing (rather than confirmation of going ahead) but an applied indicator is clearly telling you something, which you may foolishly believe!
pwa

Post by pwa »

My impression is that lack of indicating is an annoying problem that has been with us as long as I have been driving (since 1977). It was bad then and it is about the same now. Paralysis of the indicator finger. Oh well, I refuse to become agitated on the subject.