my altercation

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

Re: my altercation

Post by honesty »

Yet I've seen cars go the wrong way down tancred street and the one way area on Duke street (and the new one in Elm street for that matter, seems to be the worst as its a school run one...) and no one seems to give a toss. They're not going to fix the cycling infrastructure if they can even be bothered to police the road infrastructure as is. Hammett street has the wrong sign at the war memorial end of it, no entry without cycle exemption. So even though there is a contraflow cycle lane there technically you cant use it.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

honesty wrote:... he is firmly of the opinion that I was in the wrong because I was in the outside lane. I should have been hugging the left etc. ...

I get horns hooted at me from time to time, in one particular place in central Bristol.

At the top of Park Street by the Wills Building, if heading away from the city centre, the road has two lanes. The left one is for people going into Berkeley Square or going down Jacobs Wells Road; the right one is for everyone going back round the Triangle or up Whiteladies Road, or points to Clifton.

Since I want to go to Clifton, I stay toward the left side of the right hand lane, sometimes even taking primary. And yet so many people seem to think that this is wrong "cos cyclists stay by the kerb, innit". Apparently the correct course of action would be to stay right across by the kerb at the left of the road, then swerve across a lane of traffic speeding to go down Jacobs Wells Road and into a lane of traffic speeding to go round the bottom of the Triangle.

:?
mjr

Post by mjr »

honesty wrote:They're not going to fix the cycling infrastructure if they can even be bothered to police the road infrastructure as is. Hammett street has the wrong sign at the war memorial end of it, no entry without cycle exemption. So even though there is a contraflow cycle lane there technically you cant use it.

Yeah, they will - the infrastructure and policing budgets are very disconnected. That's why sometimes they try physical measures when policing would be better, and the other way around. It depends which organisation has and is willing to commit some budget to it.

Report them on www.fixMyStreet.com and keep on at them. I'm tempted to do it but I wouldn't have time to do it well.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
boliston

Post by boliston »

brooksby wrote:
honesty wrote:... he is firmly of the opinion that I was in the wrong because I was in the outside lane. I should have been hugging the left etc. ...

I get horns hooted at me from time to time, in one particular place in central Bristol.

At the top of Park Street by the Wills Building, if heading away from the city centre, the road has two lanes. The left one is for people going into Berkeley Square or going down Jacobs Wells Road; the right one is for everyone going back round the Triangle or up Whiteladies Road, or points to Clifton.

Since I want to go to Clifton, I stay toward the left side of the right hand lane, sometimes even taking primary. And yet so many people seem to think that this is wrong "cos cyclists stay by the kerb, innit". Apparently the correct course of action would be to stay right across by the kerb at the left of the road, then swerve across a lane of traffic speeding to go down Jacobs Wells Road and into a lane of traffic speeding to go round the bottom of the Triangle.

:?

I've been along that one way system in car a few times and on a bike I'd tend to stay towards the right hand side of the right hand lane as that means faster traffic could easily pass me on the left without me holding them up. I'd imagine some cyclists nip illegally along the pavement here to avoid going all the way round the one way section as it's a bit like a race track really, but it would make more sense to have a cycle contraflow lane to avoid this temptation. Some dangerous one way systems are being restored to 2 way running as a way to reduce speeds and increase safety.