Pateley Bridge fatality

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ellieb

Pateley Bridge fatality

Post by Ellieb »

http://road.cc/content/news/157369-poli ... -wall-near

This is very sad news. I have ridden this on the Way of the Roses route and it is quite a tricky descent. Condolonces to his family and those who knew him.
pwa

Re: Pateley Bridge fatality

Post by pwa »

It's a very long, steep hill with bends. It is the sort of descent that reminds you why good brakes are important. Any loss of control, due to gravel or whatever, could prove disastrous. Poor bloke.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I never go too fast on descents when a blowout on thin 23mm tyres could make me lose control.

I came off a motorbike doing about 50 mph many years ago and my leathers wore right through and one of my gloves was shredded by the road.

Coming off a pushbike at that speed with only thin clothing and a fragile helmet on would not be nice.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yet a mate of mine was hit from behind and came off at a newly acquired ~50mph (as measured by the garmin) and didn't even wear through his shorts....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nez

Post by nez »

The road surface looks horrible
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Very sad occurrence. :( I can't help but be reminded of Fabio Casartelli. And I myself, many years ago, had a close call coming down Holme Moss at speed - at night. I came within a foot or two, of running into a drystone wall. Going downhill fast is always going to imply some danger.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's almost four years since we had an accident-waiting-to-happen thread about this descent and this is the second rider to have died.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56508

That thread does suggest some alternative routes.

As a general point, I think most of us regard climbing as putting something in the bank, and we like to withdraw that investment by enjoying a freewheel. This is one of those hills - as earlier threads have explained - where you must have your speed completely under control from the top all the way down because if you lose it, you may never get it back. The road is steep, but not super-steep; it goes down in a series of steps separated by relatively flat sections. It's narrow and in places, the view ahead is restricted. In places, it's lined by stone walls. It's a B road, which these days can mean a lot of traffic, which restricts the available width even more if a rider begins to run out of options. Finally, there's not even a run-off at the bottom since it goes right into town.