Avon & Somerset introduce near miss reporting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Avon & Somerset introduce near miss reporting

Post by Revolution »

I just saw this on the web site Stolen Bristol Bikes
If you cycle on the roads regularly, chances are you'll have experienced a near miss, such as a very close pass from a driver, someone pulling out from a junction without looking, or even verbal abuse and intimidation.

Now Bristol police have introduced a system for cyclists to report incidents that don't involve a collision or injury. It's hoped that this can contribute to road safety and build up a picture of where incidents are happening most frequently. The information gathered in this was has several uses - for example, it could help identify problems with road design.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/advice/vehicles-and-roads/cycling/report-a-cycling-near-miss/

not sure how useful this is going to be as they state at the outset that they will not be investigating motorists but building up "useful" data - like 99% of people who drive a Range Rover Evoque are *******'s
Mike Sales

Re: Avon & Somerset introduce near miss reporting

Post by Mike Sales »

For a fraction of a second I thought Bristol Police were going to say that one of the uses for this data could be to identify problem drivers.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Surely they'll have to act if the same car/driver get reported numerous times?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Oh dear. Avon & Somerset struggle to cope as it is. I'm a 'local' in this force's area and my neighbour's son in law (no pun intended) is an officer and most of the time they struggle. I can't see this helping anyone. More pen pushing and paper chasing.

The police just need their funding back and their numbers increased if we are ever to hope for their input in the traffic...b
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Oh dear. Avon & Somerset struggle to cope as it is. I'm a 'local' in this force's area and my neighbour's son in law (no pun intended) is an officer and most of the time they struggle. I can't see this helping anyone. More pen pushing and paper chasing.

The police just need their funding back and their numbers increased if we are ever to hope for their input in the traffic...b

Maybe if people report enough incidents, it could be used to justify an increase in funding? If it is a computer based system it may not even have real humans involved except for processing the data later on.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Revolution wrote:I just saw this on the web site Stolen Bristol Bikes
If you cycle on the roads regularly, chances are you'll have experienced a near miss, such as a very close pass from a driver, someone pulling out from a junction without looking, or even verbal abuse and intimidation.

Now Bristol police have introduced a system for cyclists to report incidents that don't involve a collision or injury. It's hoped that this can contribute to road safety and build up a picture of where incidents are happening most frequently. The information gathered in this was has several uses - for example, it could help identify problems with road design.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/advice/vehicles-and-roads/cycling/report-a-cycling-near-miss/

not sure how useful this is going to be as they state at the outset that they will not be investigating motorists but building up "useful" data - like 99% of people who drive a Range Rover Evoque are *******'s

The form makes it clear that if it involves a collision or dangerous driving, you should report it in a different way.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Flinders wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Oh dear. Avon & Somerset struggle to cope as it is. I'm a 'local' in this force's area and my neighbour's son in law (no pun intended) is an officer and most of the time they struggle. I can't see this helping anyone. More pen pushing and paper chasing.

Maybe if people report enough incidents, it could be used to justify an increase in funding? If it is a computer based system it may not even have real humans involved except for processing the data later on.

A very valid point...b
whoof

Post by whoof »

I like in the Avon and Somerset policing area.

I occasional see illegal motorbike/mopeds (No helmets, lights, plates, kids two up on mopeds, riding on pavements etc) around where I live. I phone 101 and report it. If you ignore it so will the police, they are target driven and I there doesn't appear to be a problem in the area they will not put the resources in place to take action.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't a near miss a result of dangerous driving?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Postboxer wrote:Isn't a near miss a result of dangerous driving?

Perhaps the Police could construe a near miss as dangerous driving if they have evidence indicating that the manoeuvre was a deliberate act to threaten or intimidate or scare another road user. Otherwise, I would think careless driving.
I should coco.