Exmouth Exodus

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

Exmouth Exodus

Post by honesty »

Is anyone here cycling this, this year? I've been planning on doing it, but my wife recently threw a bit of a spanner in the works as she's worried about me doing it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Exmouth Exodus

Post by Mick F »

Never heard of this before.
http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk

Overnight ride Bath to Exmouth eh?
Sounds fun. :D
Trouble is, first you've got to get to Bath with your bike, then back from Exmouth with your bike.

Circular rides are better methinks.
Perhaps I could ride two days to Bath, then a day's ride home from Exmouth.
No date as yet. When are the full moons later this summer/autumn?
Fri 31 Jul
Sat 29 Aug
Mon 28 Sep
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

The date has been released as the weekend of the 1st of August. For me getting to Bath and away from Exmouth is no problem which is why its so attractive. My wife is (validly!) worried that I, having never done overnight rides, would fall asleep at 3am doing 40mph down the back end of Blagdon Hill...
whoof

Post by whoof »

The organisers run a coach back for you and a van for your bike providing you book it in advance.

http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/faq.php

I've thought about it a couple of times when it used to run from Bristol. The main reason for not is it will pretty much take up the entire weekend for a single bike ride. Won't do much on Saturday as I will be riding to Exmouth that night and then Sunday I'll either be travelling back to Bath or sitting around trying not to fall asleep for the rest of the day.

As for falling asleep I don't think there is as much chance as driving as by riding your adrenaline etc is at a higher level than just sitting behind a wheel. I've worked nights on one off situations and had no problem whilst I was busy it wasn't until you take a break and do nothing for 15 minutes that you feel like sleeping. I'm sure that are some 600km Audaxers on here who could give you some advice.
beardy

Post by beardy »

On an overnight Audax there is generally a small sleep break built into it. Even for the slower riders (like myself) there is enough sleep had to prevent risk of nodding off on route.

On the other hand, night rides rely on you having slept adequately before hand, which is something that I just can not manage. Starting at midnight is bad for me and I have resorted to drugs (caffeine) for this sort of ride!
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I've done it most years since it started, only missed 2.

I don't think there's any chance of falling asleep while riding - there's just to much effort, adrenalin, etc. If you get off route, trying to map read at 3 am with a befuddled brain is quite a challenge. And there's a definite risk of falling asleep in a warm village hall over a bowl of pasta. One year I did it was cold and wet and trying to force myself out into the night to ride another 50 miles was more of a challenge than the actual riding.

I'll probably do it this year, though Bath is an even more inconvenient start for me than Bristol.

Any questions about it, just fire away.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would ask questions, but it seems that I can't make it.
That weekend is already spoken for. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

I'm planning to take part. I'll be travelling by train to the start. The train is replaced by a bus at Trowbridge because of engineering.

First Great Western web site say I won't be able to take my bike on the bus. I'm fully expecting to have to cycle the final few miles to Bath, but wondered if anyone has managed to take their bike on a bus replacing a train service. i.e. would it be worth me asking if the bus wasn't to crowded or would I be just inviting a rude response from the driver?

Also any tips on the optimum cycle route from Trowbridge to Bath would be appreciated. I've ridden out of Bath heading East so I know there's going to be some ascent involved.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Vitara wrote:Also any tips on the optimum cycle route from Trowbridge to Bath would be appreciated. I've ridden out of Bath heading East so I know there's going to be some ascent involved.

The Kennet and Avon canal passes a mile north of Trowbridge and goes all the way to Bath It's used by NCN 4. I've done some of that stretch on a touring bike and it's OK, if not particularly quick.

I'd avoid any temptation to cut corners, there's no half measures with the hills round there. You can save a couple of miles by leaving the canal at Dundas Wharf and cutting across to the two tunnels route which you'll be using later in the evening for the Exmouth Exodus, but that adds quite a bit of climbing - not worth it IMO
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Quick(ish) update:

Agree canal route is easiest in terms of navigation and climb, but not ideal or fast for a road bike. Had also been recomended circuitous route via south wraxell. I decided though over the hill was the way to go taking in my 3rd of Simon Warrens 200 greatest climbs. Glad I did, it was a nice ride and climb up Shaft Road was a fun challenge and nice prelude to the Exodus. Turned out they would have let me on the bus as well, but by that time I was psyched for my hill climb.

The Exodus was a great event, descending Cheddar Gorge at night was a surreal experience, the rest of the ride equally aweseome. Arrived Exmouth at 05:45 and was tucking into a Monster Munch breakfast soon after. Still need to work on my lighting set up for night rides.