Road positioning. Is it me?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Road positioning. Is it me?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bicycler wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I wish councils would stop playing with Highway codes, you are taught the correct way and then they paint arrows, vain attempt at traffic flow etc at the safety of other users.

You are taught a general rule to use in the absence of road markings which makes sense on a typical 4-road roundabout. It is not always the ideal arrangement for any roundabout so road users ought to be capable of reading simple changes in lane allocation like in the op. Not that I am justifying some of the more ridiculous inventions of local authority highway designers of course...

The problem is when the lane markings are first made so late you can't choose a lane any more...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

True, that can be a problem, but it is a signage problem rather than a problem with the principle of lane allocation. The same problem can occur at other types of junction (signalled junctions, exit lanes etc.) if the signage is inadequate
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I've had them overtake on the inside on single lane roundabout - even though I'm in the middle of the lane and been in the process of trying exit!

IMO roundabouts are probably the most dangerous junction a cyclist can encounter, there's no 'right' way to tackle them since everyone is different, every driver behaves differently on them and even then it varies depending on the time of day.
For some I've developed techniques that always work, others I have to play it by ear when I get there.
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

I am somewhat reassured to see that I am not the only one experiencing the problem, and to be fair, the roundabouts I use on my commute are fairly simple ones-no complex signage for drivers to get confused at. I tend to ride in the middle of the lane that I would be in if in my car, but I think i will try a bit more of TonyR's approach and move more left, but obviously not too far left in the lane to encourage them to try and squeeze past me on that side.......The event that promoted my original post was just a small roundabout with only left exit or straight ahead. I was going straight ahead, approached in the middle of the road, then straight out as no cars coming round, looked over my left to make sure my exit was clear, only to encounter the car that was behind me on my approach trying to get past me-so, i had to ease off and let them past or I would have been clipped! Must confess to having a head like a pigeon cycling these days looking right, left etc etc, just to make sure no idiot in a car approaching from an unexpected direction! Ho hum....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

TonyR wrote:I cycle a roundabout like that on my commute but I stay on the left of the right hand lane and then move across to primary in the left lane on the roundabout as I pass the exit to the left. I have very few problems doing it that way. If you stay too far over to the right you will get undertaken by drivers doing what I do - going from the right hand lane on the approach to the left hand lane on the roundabout.

I think that's what I would try, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robing

Post by robing »

When I'm driving I find other drivers are ever more ignorant at roundabouts. They hate having to slow down or stop when you have right of way. Lorries are the worst as they pull out right in front of you at a snail's pace knowing there's not a thing you can do about it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Bicycler wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I wish councils would stop playing with Highway codes, you are taught the correct way and then they paint arrows, vain attempt at traffic flow etc at the safety of other users.

You are taught a general rule to use in the absence of road markings which makes sense on a typical 4-road roundabout. It is not always the ideal arrangement for any roundabout so road users ought to be capable of reading simple changes in lane allocation like in the op. Not that I am justifying some of the more ridiculous inventions of local authority highway designers of course...

The problem is when the lane markings are first made so late you can't choose a lane any more...

So True.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Roundabouts are best taken at speed that way there is less time for others silly manoeuvre BUT if you have to stop and a cars behind they always think your too slow.

Keep your wits about you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
flatout

Post by flatout »

I think that it is entirely understandable in this weather. The 'hard working' drivers are just trying to get their frozen peas home before they defrost.

I would concur with the view that primary position in the left hand lane is the safer of the two options. Lane markings are not always obvious and the right hand lane is generally for turning right.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Vorpal wrote:
TonyR wrote:I cycle a roundabout like that on my commute but I stay on the left of the right hand lane and then move across to primary in the left lane on the roundabout as I pass the exit to the left. I have very few problems doing it that way. If you stay too far over to the right you will get undertaken by drivers doing what I do - going from the right hand lane on the approach to the left hand lane on the roundabout.

I think that's what I would try, as well.

I have exactly the same situation. I ride either just to the left or just to the right of the centre line depending on the direction of the traffic behind. As soon as I'm on the roundabout I'm looking over my left shoulder to see what's coming behind and I signal that I'm moving over to my left into correct the lane for my exit.
To date I've only had one incident. This was on the lead up to the roundabout when a bus and a lorry tried to pass me on the left and right at the same time. In that situation I was able to get out of the way of the closest vehicle by moving onto the centre line.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Roundabouts are best taken at speed that way there is less time for others silly manoeuvre BUT if you have to stop and a cars behind they always think your too slow.

Keep your wits about you.

I'd agree with this to a certain extent.
I feel safer carrying some speed through so that I'm not holding up traffic which can annoy other road users and sometimes lead to stupid undertaking or crossing lanes in front of me. But not so fast that I can't Brake in time for the odd pillock who pulls out in front of me from the left as I approach.
Such an incident happened to me years ago which wrote off the bike and has caused me to be terrified of roundabouts ever since.
I've always approached roundabouts in the way that TonyR described above.
One if the things I love about my gps is that it shows the roundabout layout before I reach it and so I'm able to better choose which lane to be in well in advance.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Just an afterthought to the comments of a number of others: I rarely look behind at following traffic - I think it tells them you know they're there and should be getting out the way. Instead I drift slowly across the lanes or between secondary and primary so its clear what I'm doing but slowly enough for drivers to react. Again I rarely have problems doing so.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

On any small to medium sized roundabout there is absolutely no reason for anyone to overtake anyone on the roundabout itself. Because the system we use in the UK - the same as in most other countries (but not all) - is that traffic already on the roundabout has priority, once you get on the roundabout you should be off it again in a few seconds. Unless the traffic around you is gridlocked of course. This applies whatever sort of vehicle you are using.

They ought to make it a specific offence to overtake on a roundabout.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

... and design roundabouts with a single lane to prevent it.

The trouble is UK roundabouts are designed to maximise vehicle speeds and flows as opposed to continental geometry which is designed to maximnise safety by slowing vehicle speeds:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/165240/244921/244924/TAL_9-97/
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

TonyR wrote:Just an afterthought to the comments of a number of others: I rarely look behind at following traffic - I think it tells them you know they're there and should be getting out the way. Instead I drift slowly across the lanes or between secondary and primary so its clear what I'm doing but slowly enough for drivers to react. Again I rarely have problems doing so.

I can't disagree with this enough.
This is like expecting motorists to give a ****. They don't.
On one particular roundabout, if I hadn't checked behind on my left, saw the huge Audi suv creeping up the inside on the same lane as me and if I hadn't swerved like hell back to the right, I'd have been under it and waiting for an ambulance. Or a hearse.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.