Pollution - another problem

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Pollution - another problem

Post by 661-Pete »

Not an 'incident' per se, but still an annoyance.
[youtube]LbHIh-aIwtU[/youtube]
Should I make a complaint to the bus company? Both my wife and I have suffered from mild asthma in the past. Why should anyone put up with it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
freeflow

Re: Pollution - another problem

Post by freeflow »

One of my 'out of the box' ideas is that exhaust from cars etc should be vented into the drivers compartment first.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

That bus looks older than me!
Guess that's the beauty of private 'public' transport. Buy cheap buses and run them until the die...

They'll rag the engine, put it on the emissions tester and it'll pass no problem. Few miles down the road and it'll be as bad as ever.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont suppose it is quite as old as the number plate suggests (around 1960 ish) but it may be old enough to still have very relaxed emission requirements in the MOT test.
broadway

Post by broadway »

beardy wrote:I dont suppose it is quite as old as the number plate suggests (around 1960 ish) but it may be old enough to still have very relaxed emission requirements in the MOT test.

AFAIK smoke will still cause a failure.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

broadway wrote:AFAIK smoke will still cause a failure.

Yeah, but the great thing about old diesels is that if you boot them hard in a low gear for a few hundred meters then once they've made the sky go dark they'll usually sail through the tests and be good for another few miles at least!
So it's all good...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

661-Pete wrote:Should I make a complaint to the bus company?
Maybe, but definitely report to VOSA:
The Government's Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) will investigate any complaint relating to a smoky bus or lorry. To report a problem:

0870 60 60 440 - VOSA National Helpline
VOSA: Smoky Vehicle Report Form

VOSA will need certain information if you want to report a suspected smoky vehicle. It is not possible to follow up any report without the details below.

Type of Vehicle (HGV or PSV)
Vehicle Registration Mark
Company Name (if apparent)
Road Name / Number where the vehicle can be seen
Date and Time of Sighting

HTH
"42"
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Wow! others are starting to realise that many PSVs are the worst polluters instead of always bashing cars. Oxford Street in London is one of the most polluted roads in the country...and guess what....motor traffic on Oxford Street comprises almost exclusively buses and taxis.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

From what I've noticed the Sussex Bus Company fleet seems to made up from old buses, - bought after other companies have 'worn them out'?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:From what I've noticed the Sussex Bus Company fleet seems to made up from old buses, - bought after other companies have 'worn them out'?

They seem to be part of a small group called Heritage Buses along with Surrey & Sussex Bus Company and City of Chichester Coaches who don't operate in London or other very regulated or competitive markets, so it looks likely to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I sent in a feedback form to Sussex Bus, including my video link. Let's see how they react.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The bus company operating most of our rural routes keeps on changing hands, I find it hard to keep up with them! The name 'Heritage' does indeed appear on some local buses (in shocking pink livery!) although it's nothing to do with 'heritage'. They don't appear to run numbered routes - I believe they do mostly business workforce shuttles and the like.

As it happens, the bus I followed (which is a numbered route) is quite useful since it serves our two local A&E hospitals. If you're walking wounded, not trusting yourself to cycle or drive, but not bad enough for an ambulance, it may be your best option to get to hospital. I tried it once. I don't know why they use double-deckers though: most of the local buses are single-deckers which are quite adequate.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Don't waste time reporting it to VOSA as they closed down over a year ago. Report it to the DVSA instead.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.