Traffic Kommisarr Bans Freight Managers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Valbrona

Traffic Kommisarr Bans Freight Managers

Post by Valbrona »

http://road.cc/content/news/155627-frei ... ed-cyclist

Which begs the question: Why haven't more people like this pair been banned from running road haulage companies?

Anyone know why this case seems so special, and has stirred the Traffic Kommissar into action?
I should coco.
Flinders

Re: Traffic Kommisarr Bans Freight Managers

Post by Flinders »

It seems that the HSE don;t investigate road incidents...unless I understood the article and comments wrongly.
For a haulage company, I'd say the public roads were part of the operators' place of work, and so the HSE should be able to investigate. And fine or otherwise prosecute companies, if necessary involving custodial sentences- and the HSE can fine very heavily, BTW. Can't they do this?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From the comments in the linked article:-
...and when do we get to see the corporate manslaughter charges?

Where indeed?
No doubt someone will correct me with the news that,that isn't allowed under UK law.
To which I'd reply.
Why not?
The laws and penalties for killing people even as deliberate as this sad and sick pair is a disgrace and the chances of any change practically nil,as profit comes well before people in this green and unpleasant land.
Sickening in the extreme.
Then we are informed that these two sicko's are to start up all over again under a relative's name.
Could it get any worse?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I hadn't been fully aware of the role of traffic commissioners, but I looked up their publications on the .gov website, and it seems they've been doing a fair amount of this sort of thing. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 012-13.pdf

Pages 43 and 53 include public inquiries held, and things like licences suspended, licence holders disqualified, sanctions imposed, etc.

I think this is a very positive development, and interestingly, it seems to be a route that the CTC is using this to pursue at least one other transport operator. http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20150608-rei ... -operators
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's all very nice and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but if these guys aren't already running another freight company I'd be more than a little surprised.
It won't have their name on it but it'll be theirs.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

kwackers wrote:It's all very nice and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but if these guys aren't already running another freight company I'd be more than a little surprised.
It won't have their name on it but it'll be theirs.

From the article and comments, that's exactly what is happening. In their wives names, it appears.