National Grid driver +18

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
maxcherry

National Grid driver +18

Post by maxcherry »

How can this chap not see the cyclist? Totally the drivers fault. I hope they reported the incident :twisted:

Video contains strong language

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b7d_1435361947
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
661-Pete

Re: National Grid driver +18

Post by 661-Pete »

maxcherry wrote:Video contains strong language
So do the comments. Is there a copy of same video on YouTube? I've tended to avoid liveleaks up till now. Having said that, the 'Tube attracts some pretty nasty comments too. What is it about people that makes them want to post such bile under the mask of anonymity?

As for the driver - well thankfully there was no injury - though I'm sure the cyclist was in a state of shock (I would have been after such a close call). Sometimes a driver may have a sort of blank-out moment when they see but don't register. It's happened to me - on both sides of the fence. If the driver wasn't caught and prosecuted (as they should be) the best we can hope for is that they were as much shaken up by the incident as the cyclist...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

National Grid was Responsible Business of the Year 2014.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

horizon wrote:National Grid was Responsible Business of the Year 2014.

What was it responsible for I wonder? The mind boggles. An increase in accident statistics involving its drivers, by the looks of it. :roll:
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Can anyone get the numberplate off that?

Nearly my patch - happy to report it. Or is this old?

A skilful cyclist. And not particularly strong language imo for the circumstances.

Ferdinand
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Skillful cyclist? Riding in the gutter, head affixed firmly straight ahead, didn't shoulder check once the whole time...
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Skillful cyclist? Riding in the gutter, head affixed firmly straight ahead, didn't shoulder check once the whole time...

just as well he/she didnt shoulder check, would probably have crashed into the van, SHoulder checking much overrated I think.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Skillful cyclist? Riding in the gutter, head affixed firmly straight ahead, didn't shoulder check once the whole time...

Doesn't look like riding in the gutter to me. In fact she goes into primary at the bend. Not all of us ride in primary all the time, you know....

And her head may have been fixed firmly ahead, but how do you know whether her eyes were? Not all of us have tunnel vision, you know....

She anticipated the van and slowed down. Just as well.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Indeed, she has one of those special transparent skulls that allows her to look behind badminton side roads without moving her head. She moved into the carriageway and pulled from the gutter out into primary without shoulder checking, which isn't conductive with a long healthy life.

The guy in the van is a knobwad of the highest order, but she missed him through luck rather than any incredible riding prowess.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.