Close pass - by a driver who should have known better

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Close pass - by a driver who should have known better

Post by 661-Pete »

I had this happen to me earlier this week. Fairly typical run-of-the-mill close overtake, close enough to be scary to me nonetheless (note that the offender is a BMW) - but look at the numberplate! (freeze frame at about 24s).

You'd have thought, a Dutch motorist, with myriads of cyclists all around him when on home territory, would be able to interact better with cyclists. Or had he perhaps not quite got the knack of driving on the 'wrong' side of the road?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Re: Close pass - by a driver who should have known better

Post by beardy »

British motorists living in Holland could well bring their cars over with them when visiting the old country.
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Can't quite see if the vehicle is left hand drive, but I often find left hookers pass closer as the driver thinks he can judge the extremities of the vehicle better.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think we're back to the same problem as always.
If a driver sees a gap that s/he thinks the vehicle they're driving will fit through,some drivers will fit it through irrespective of other considerations.
For some it's the gap they're focusing on,the vulnerability of the cyclist isn't of concern,the passing/not being held up/not having to slowdown,etc,is the issue for them.
This is clearly bad and inconsiderate driving,with no room for error.
As a cyclist I try to minimise that situation by closing the gap and riding further into the carriageway when I deem it necessary,which stops the problem,it may need a strong nerve at times but my life is more important that their journey time.
What I find worse and mindless, is being passed closely when there is a huge gap with no need to pass closely,with no oncoming traffic or a wide roadway,etc,in such situations the safety zone I've created to my left by riding further out in the roadway comes in very handy,whereas in such situations if I were close to the curb I'd be left with nowhere to go.
In a world where all drivers care for vulnerable road users such tactics wouldn't need to be employed,however this is the UK where idiots who drive cars,etc,abound :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Alan Frame wrote:I often find left hookers pass closer as the driver thinks he can judge the extremities of the vehicle better.

+1. Often my experience also :(
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Riding in primary on that road is certainly a possible option, but not for me. It's a rural stretch of A-road; I'm not as fast as some and only too aware that if I hold up following motorists more than necessary it will only lead to more aggression. So I only go to primary where it's strictly necessary (e.g. at bollards). There's a village just beyond that point with 30mph and some tight bends - there I would take primary if necessary.

It was certainly Dutch plates, I'm assuming the car was LHD (although there's a car in our neighbourhood with French plates but RHD). My initial thoughts are, that ought to encourage the driver to leave more space for cyclists. After all, I've had plenty of practice driving on the continent, in both LHD and RHD cars. When in my own (RHD) car, I'm always conscious of the fact that I'm closer than normal to the cyclist I'm overtaking. Nevertheless I do try and give them as much room as I would when overtaking in the UK.

Clearly this doesn't work for everyone.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

661-Pete wrote:Riding in primary on that road is certainly a possible option, but not for me. It's a rural stretch of A-road; I'm not as fast as some and only too aware that if I hold up following motorists more than necessary it will only lead to more aggression.

As far as drivers are concerned on a rural A road ALL cyclists are effectively stationary (even Wiggo only manaaged just over 30mph when he broke the hour record the other week). Indeed the faster you go the harder it is to overtake as you need a longer gap in oncoming traffic. By riding slower you are less of an obstruction.

If you ride to the left you are signalling to following drivers that you are happy to share the lane and inviting them to dive through the remaining space (which is effectively your argument when you are reluctant to delay dravers more than is nescessary). Don't then be surprised when drivers do exactly that. As far as I am concerned my safety is more imprortant than any fictional time saving might be possible by a driver overtaking as soon as they encounter me rather than waiting till it is safe and catching up with the rest of the traffic half a mile down the road.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup I'd agree with all the comments about riding further out. Certainly agree with safety being more important than holding drivers up. To be quite honest I'd far rather get blasted and shouted at any day, as long as I hear the vehicle behind slow down.
Had a classic the other day, car roared up behind me, on the local A road, blasted on his horn and roared past. I gave him the obligatory single fingered salute, whereupon he slammed on his brakes and stopped in the middle of the road. First thought, this could be interesting, I wonder if he's bigger than me, I'm 6' 4'! Went to ride up to drivers side, almost a
alongside when he accelerated away, coward?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity