Please help!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
robing

Re: Please help!

Post by robing »

cycleruk wrote:You can get pedals that are SPD on one side and the other side is flat.
That way you could still use SPD shoes and have the choice of clipping in or not.

Such as :-
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-m32 ... tAodMhYDIA

There are other variations and makes but I would stick with the same manufacturer as your cleats.
Some cleats can be awkward if used with other manufacturers pedals.

My touring bike came with these and they are great. SPD one side, flat the other. In stop start traffic I unclip. You could try these and clip in your side that stays in all the time, and ride flat in the side you put down. Then when you are confident with that you can clip both sides.

It's worth sticking at because trust me, once you get the hang of clipless, you won't go back. It's not just the mechanical advantage. It's the knowledge that you can get up out of the saddle knowing your feet aren't going to slip and also being able to quickly lift the bike and bunny hop over potholes.
robing

Post by robing »

And clipless is the correct term. It came from when they replaced toe clips, so were indeed clipless.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

robing wrote:And clipless is the correct term. It came from when they replaced toe clips, so were indeed clipless.

But flat pedals, with no attachment, could equally be called 'clipless'. The term may be confusing to a beginner, that's why I suggest coming up with a different phrase. 'Clip-in' is an apt description. And toe-clips have not been 'replaced'. I still use them.

... to quickly lift the bike and bunny hop over potholes.
Not a practice I would recommend - at least not when I'm riding.

...trust me...
Thanks, but no thanks! :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).