The People you Meet

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

The People you Meet

Post by Mick F »

The other day, I met a chap in Bridestowe Devon, and he had a wonderful Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. I was enthralled by it and he chatted for ages about its history and how he had spent a small fortune in restoring it. For most of its life, it was owned by a maharajah in India, and then came to France where it languished in a barn for decades.
http://vandpcars.smugmug.com/Cars/1920- ... ver-Ghost/

Today, I met a doctor. Not just any doctor. He caught me up on the A39 north of Camelford and rode with me a while over Davidstow Moor airfield. We got chatting.
His name is Chris Jarvis.
http://www.uci.ch/inside-uci/organisati ... ommission/
Mick F. Cornwall
Postboxer

Re: The People you Meet

Post by Postboxer »

And he caught you up did he....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, but I'd already done 40odd (hilly) miles and he'd only nipped out during his lunch hour.
He lives in Boscastle and was only about 6miles into his ride. :D

I was just pootling along without a care in the world and enjoying the June sunshine.
Mick F. Cornwall
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

One person I always remember was an 84 year old cyclist who I met in Wensleydale on a ride from Lancaster to Leyburn on a very hot summer's day.

He had a superb old bike from the 40s 0r 50s and he was lean, fit and looked much younger than 84.

That was in 1984, so he's probably not cycling mow.
mig

Post by mig »

http://saddind.co.uk/cycling-legend-john-arnold-dies-aged-84/

met this chap quite a few years ago. he had some tales to tell.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Out on the Brompton here in Brittany yesterday. Met an old guy cutting his hedge. I stopped for a chat. He told me he had just caught two nice trout from the stream running through his garden and described in detail how he was going to prepare and cook them with fresh herbs from his garden. He went on to describe how he caught the various other birds like pigeons and partridges and once a wild boar all of which were cooked and eaten or turned into sausages or paté. He genuflected as I set off to tackle the next hill. :D

Al

Filled up my car, diesel is 86p a litre here!
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
karlt

Post by karlt »

blackbike wrote:One person I always remember was an 84 year old cyclist who I met in Wensleydale on a ride from Lancaster to Leyburn on a very hot summer's day.

He had a superb old bike from the 40s 0r 50s and he was lean, fit and looked much younger than 84.

That was in 1984, so he's probably not cycling mow.

Alas, there's no-one alive now in Britain born in Victoria's reign, as this chap must have been. So it depends whether they have bikes up there.
TastyBreakfast

Post by TastyBreakfast »

Some nice stories here guys, I’d love to read about them in more detail. After i finished my degree, back in 2009 myself and a good friend cycled from Argentina through Bolivia and into Peru, it took us 3 months. We met some great people along the way....and some not so great. While there's hours worth of stories i could tell, i can remember one evening, we were sleeping in our tent in a forest near a town called Salta, on the Argentine/Bolivian border when we heard a tribal like chanting not to far off. Gripped by fear as the chanting got louder and louder, I creeped out my tent, only to be confronted by about 40 people from the local town who had come to the forest to commemorate....the death of Michael Jackson who had just died. Funny times!
I was thinking of making a blog for people to share their cycling stories on. I've not too great with computers though, and I’ve been recommended the site below for cheap domain names, if any one has any advice it'd be very welcome :D
http://www.1and1.co.uk/cheap-domain-names
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I meet a lot of interesting people on their bikes coming through my area. Most I think enjoy a chat. Others show signs of discomfort by a) having to talk to someone and b) having someone ride along side them.
Some I get to follow their progress with #LEJOG or JOGLE others I never hear of again. Top of my memory include the following:

Mr Spreadsheet ( google him) carrying loads of stuff including a very heavy road atlas with ALL pages intact.

A young couple from London cycling, I think to Skye, to get married.

A chap from Kings Lynn cycling to Glencoe for a holiday. With a Jack Russel in a wooden crate on the handlebars.

Along with many others I'm so glad I met them "on the road".
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I once cycled a way with a man claiming to be Harry Allenwho carried out the last hanging at Armley Jail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Allen_(executioner)

whether he was or not I'll neither know nor care.
NUKe

Post by TastyBreakfast »

No returns for Mr. Spreadsheet? I like the story about the couple going to Skye to get married, thats lovely.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

http://www.mrspreadsheet.co.uk

From Poole, able to run his business from anywhere, with his notebook. He took a notion to cycling E2E do he bought a bike and did it. I think his usual fitness haunt was a Squash court but had also canoed and walked big distances throughout Europe.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I met http://www.cellojoe.com/p/videos_22.html who was cycling with a bunch of other musicians from Harwich to join various festivals in the UK. Their first stop, IIRC was Camden Green Fair.

I also met a lovely older gent in my area who I used to stop and chat with. The first time, we met near the bike stands at the supermarket in town. I think he he asked about my trailer. After that, I saw him from time to time, cycling on the road into town, or at one or another of the bike stands in town. He was a wheel builder. I gathered 40ish years ago he'd had a bit of a reputation that way in the area, but he had only done things for himself and friends for some years, and the club he had ridden with had disbanded. He was a lovely gent and absolutely full of British bicycle trivia. He also knew all of the bikes around town and had some funny commentary about them and their riders.

I met two couples tandeming together to Norfolk once. Their grandparents had come from the same village in Norfolk, but these couples ended up neighbors somewhere south of us (I think it was Sussex, but I don't recall for certain), so they were off on their tandems to the village where their grandparents came from, to see the church, and see if they could find the houses where they lived and things.

In another part of the country (some miles removed from home territory) I was stopped by another cyclist once because I was in club kit. The cyclist wanted to ask about a club mate and said they been good mates some years before, but had fallen out of touch, and would say I hello for him? :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TastyBreakfast

Post by TastyBreakfast »

While i have no doubt he is a nice chap, geezo that website is as dry as bones.
meic

Post by meic »

I met Rosie Swale when out cycling once. I had rather hoped/expected to meet her out on the road at some time.

We went along on the road chatting for a little while, her running with her trailer behind her and me cycling alongside.

I have great respect for somebody who just does such major feats without support or fuss. I heard her on the radio in the same program as somebody who thought it was a big deal to drive to and in Kenya in a very expensive 4x4, such a contrast!
Yma o Hyd