another cyclist killed by a lorry in London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

another cyclist killed by a lorry in London

Post by mercalia »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33223823

About time that lorrys were excluded from the narrow roads of London during the day time
661-Pete

Re: another cyclist killed by a lorry in London

Post by 661-Pete »

:( - R.I.P. And why oh why does it not surprise me in the least, to read that, yet again, the cyclist was a woman, and the lorry involved was a tipper truck. :evil:

When is this statistical imbalance going to be properly explained by experts? So far all we have had is waffle.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Very sad for this lady and her friends and family. I used this junction for over 2 years and I never questioned lorries sharing it. Now though, I do think there is an issue that needs addressing. How I don't know, but the accidents need to stop...b
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

661-Pete wrote:... and the lorry involved was a tipper truck. :evil:

When is this statistical imbalance going to be properly explained by experts? So far all we have had is waffle.

It amuses me no end how the wet liberals explain the figures by claiming that it is the 'design' of tipper trucks that contribute to the high numbers of casualties they are responsible for. Bullcrap. It's the low-life types that typically drive the things and their propensity to 'take risks' where lots of other drivers wouldn't.

London needs a big-time Police offensive against tipper truck drivers. Any minor vehicle defect and they should be off the road.
I should coco.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Valbrona wrote:It amuses me no end how the wet liberals explain the figures by claiming that it is the 'design' of tipper trucks that contribute to the high numbers of casualties they are responsible for. Bullcrap. It's the low-life types that typically drive the things and their propensity to 'take risks' where lots of other drivers wouldn't.

How did you discover that those who blame tipper truck design are wet liberals? I have noticed no particular evidence to indicate this. Or is it that blaming truck design is in itself evidence of soggy liberality to you? And does it truly amuse you no end. Does it make you giggle? Do you see everything through political goggles?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
beardy

Post by beardy »

It's the low-life types that typically drive the things and their propensity to 'take risks' where lots of other drivers wouldn't.

Rubble and rubbish doesnt move itself, so we "need" skip trucks.

Now in my experience lots and lots and lots and lots of other drivers DO take risks with others all the time. The skip drivers are little different to my old friends who were motorcycle couriers, the difference being that we were vulnerable and less able to do harm to others.

Now they may be low lifes and we couriers were low lifes who couldnt get nice cushy well paid jobs and there were always others lined up to replace us, as motorcyclists we were risking our lives (as compared to your threatened ban or jail term). So hunting down and banning individual drivers isnt going to work because the drivers are no more able to stop "the war" than are privates in the army.

It is the contracting rates that make it impossible to make a decent wage within the regulations and an abundance of disposable low lifes who already see themselves as rock bottom and have nothing to lose.

The courts are not handing out any deterrent to those in control of the situation. The insurance companies could impose conditions that might help if courts awarded more punitive payouts but if they just increase the premiums then that will just put drivers under more pressure to cut corners. Corners that have cyclists on.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Valbrona wrote:

It amuses me no end how the wet liberals explain the figures by claiming that it is the 'design' of tipper trucks that contribute to the high numbers of casualties ....
I made no such claim.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

661-Pete wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

It amuses me no end how the wet liberals explain the figures by claiming that it is the 'design' of tipper trucks that contribute to the high numbers of casualties ....
I made no such claim.

I will make such a claim. It is very difficult for a cyclist to sneak up the inside and get crushed by me on a motorcycle. I would really have to left hook them close when they were going fast.
On a skip truck with its poor acceleration, poor visibility and wide size combined with lethal exposed wheels and body work to the side. The vehicle also has to be far enough from the kerb for a cyclist to get through in order to make a turn. So yes the design of the vehicle does make things dangerous.

As does the working culture of the companies that operate them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Valbrona wrote:London needs a big-time Police offensive against tipper truck drivers. Any minor vehicle defect and they should be off the road.

http://pic.twitter.com/WKvNEw2wjq wrote:Of 4,000 commercial vehicles stopped over 3 months, prohibition notices against 50% of them https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/docum ... 150315.pdf
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

RIP condolences to family and friends

Are these truck drivers paid a day rate or by the loads, if it's the latter there's your problem.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Looking at the road position of the truck in this instance it doesn't appear to be making a 'dangerous' left turn at all but rather is going straight across a junction. No idea where the cyclist was.

Just thought i'd mention that as you all start spouting the usual tipper truck stuff. Why are they so numerous in London compared to other types? Well no other trucks have need to be in central London so aren't present so much - like the rider type they are disproportionally represented.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

When will we ban lorries during rush hour? Seriously the capital can organise itself around a few hours of not moving construction lorries...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

The capital can but it would be quite an imposition on (the profits of) the companies that produce, move and accept these cargoes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Don't care - the same loads need moving, so they'd manage.

The ten or so families who are ripped apart each year will never manage again, and that ignores the hundreds whose world is badly shaken by a serious injury
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Unfortunately your viewpoint doesnt fit that of the majority (or at least its portrayal in the press) and this is a "democracy".

Has anybody noticed that as the number of deaths increases, the public attention has dwindled rather than risen to a crescendo of urgency. Apart from cyclists I think that most people now see the death of cyclists in this way as just a fact of life and have accepted it. Possibly with a subnote that not even a helmet makes cycling safe in the UK.