Why do Daily Wail Readers Hate Cyclists?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
karlt

Re: Why do Daily Wail Readers Hate Cyclists?

Post by karlt »

Freddie wrote:To play Devil's advocate, that is a bit of an oversimplification. Sure, there are plenty of Daily Mail readers who are likely full of contempt for the "other" just because they are other, but are they not at least somewhat of a (over)reaction to the politically correct Guardian readers and columnists who seem to say (if not necessarily overtly) that you can never criticise immigrants, brown people, women et al for to do so would be, de facto, racist, sexist, bigoted and so on. Many would sooner lynch their first born son, than criticise someone from what they consider a victimised group.

Just look at the recent Sir Tim Hunt situation for an example of relatively timid criticism, now known to be part of a longer joke that didn't go fully reported, which has caused all kinds of trouble for the man because he criticised the wrong group of people and expressed unfashionable opinions (even though only part of an ironic joke). This kind of furious censorial attitude I find no less distasteful than the fury exhibited by the Daily Mail readership. I suppose at least with the Daily Mail lot, you know where you stand; with the politically correct social engineers, the whole point seems to be you never quite know when you have said something verboten, for the goal posts are always moving. One who doesn't purvey forever changing, socially acceptable ideas in the right way is labelled a bigot and summarily torn to shreds, purely through their ignorance of the latest fashions, rather than through any real malice on their part.

People say that, but I've found in my 40 odd years that I don't come a cropper if I follow some fairly simple rules - 1. Don't slag off groups for the actions or perceived attributes of individuals; 2. Don't be a tit; 3. Don't assume everyone ought to be like you; 4. Don't use people's attributes as a basis for humour at their expense.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

It's not as bad as all that.

Steady Rider started this thread http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97991 regarding a Daily FAIL story from two years ago. All the worst rated comments are the anti-cyclist morons banging on about road tax, licenses, insurance, RLJ, pavement cycling and on and on ad nauseam.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

karlt wrote:I've found in my 40 odd years that I don't come a cropper if I follow some fairly simple rules - 1. Don't slag off groups for the actions or perceived attributes of individuals...

You must have been having an off day...
karlt wrote:Daily Heil Commenters tend to dislike people who are not Like Them. The Daily Heil appeals to a lower middle class demographic, targeting the type of people who have an inflated opinion of themselves and therefore need someone to blame - immigrants, the unemployed, the council, Health and Safety, Political Correctness, for the fact that they're not hugely successful and that people pull them up on being prejudiced, moderately racist, homophobic sexists. Cyclists are just another outgroup to dislike simply because they're not People Like Us to the Mail readership. They hate them for the same reason that they hate immigrants, brown people, "lefties", you name it.

People are as guilty of generalising (disparagingly) about Mail readers as Mail readers themselves are perceived to be of generalising (disparagingly) about other groups

I get the impression that some people who hold one political view start to view theirs as the only acceptable one - the whole and only truth. Of course the solution to this is apply the following logic before assigning nasty attributes to others because they hold contrary opinions
karlt wrote:3. Don't assume everyone ought to be like you
Last edited by Bicycler on 25 Jun 2015, 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Freddie wrote:To play Devil's advocate, that is a bit of an oversimplification. Sure, there are plenty of Daily Mail readers who are likely full of contempt for the "other" just because they are other, but are they not at least somewhat of a (over)reaction to the politically correct Guardian readers and columnists who seem to say (if not necessarily overtly) that you can never criticise immigrants, brown people, women et al for to do so would be, de facto, racist, sexist, bigoted and so on.

I think is true about UKIP voters too, there have been plenty of articles by the liberal intelligentsia criticising their ignorance, lack of good spirit or bigoted attitudes but the only self-acknowledged UKIP voter I know is also about the most charitable person I know. She has been involved with running local organisations, cooking Christmas dinners for old folk and helping out with village events for more than 30 years. I think a record of how much time she has contributed voluntarily, despite bringing up kids and part-time jobs would show 12 hours plus a week, every week for that 30 years.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Quite, it's terribly unreliable to assume certain attributes based upon people's political views. Stereotyping is incredibly lazy and disrespectful to others. There seems to be an attitude amongst some that it is okay to dismiss others opinions and criticise the individuals without actually engaging with their arguments. This ought not to be the case. You change opinions through reasoned argument. Nobody was ever persuaded by being branded ignorant or called any other names.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Bicycler wrote:
karlt wrote:I've found in my 40 odd years that I don't come a cropper if I follow some fairly simple rules - 1. Don't slag off groups for the actions or perceived attributes of individuals...

You must have been having an off day...
karlt wrote:Daily Heil Commenters tend to dislike people who are not Like Them. The Daily Heil appeals to a lower middle class demographic, targeting the type of people who have an inflated opinion of themselves and therefore need someone to blame - immigrants, the unemployed, the council, Health and Safety, Political Correctness, for the fact that they're not hugely successful and that people pull them up on being prejudiced, moderately racist, homophobic sexists. Cyclists are just another outgroup to dislike simply because they're not People Like Us to the Mail readership. They hate them for the same reason that they hate immigrants, brown people, "lefties", you name it.

People are as guilty of generalising (disparagingly) about Mail readers as Mail readers themselves are perceived to be of generalising (disparagingly) about other groups

I get the impression that some people who hold one political view start to view theirs as the only acceptable one - the whole and only truth. Of course the solution to this is apply the following logic before assigning nasty attributes to others because they hold contrary opinions
karlt wrote:3. Don't assume everyone ought to be like you

You're right; I was being lazy. Parse my opening as "the Daily Heil Commenters who you see posting this sort of stuff".
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

Here in Bristol we have to put up with the hellspawn offspring of the Daily Fail group - the Bristol Post which is always wailing on and on about cycling on pavements, people going too fast on cyclepaths etc. Always publishes letters from the Mr Angry types. One article that stuck in my mind was when a young girl got onto a bike and crashed into a stationary coach. Post article mentioned wearing helmets 8 times, but not once the true cause of the accident - failure to check brakes. Latest article was one about how statistically cyclists are prone to more accidents (!). If you visit their website, it's an ad-laden badly scripted hell, so get Ad Blocker installed.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Everyone hates cyclists, except other cyclists. Even the close families of cyclists often hate them. I don't think the hate is confined the the Gaily Fail readership.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.