Taking Cycling Too Seriously

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Taking Cycling Too Seriously

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Wheels that can't hang a bike won't survive a single mile. Refusal to hang up the bike is nothing to do with the wheels...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

To be honest, some contributions on this thread seem to symbolise an outburst of bike-related snobbery.

I know that some 'thoughtfully' provided cycling 'infrastructure' doesn't amount to much (especially in Warrington :lol: ), but I take my hat off to those in authority who've been considerate enough to provide a set of good quality stands (and Sheffield stands are assuredly the best design) for me to securely lock my bike to. Even if it's only an old hack, there's nothing worse than coming back to the bike with a couple of panniers bulging with shopping, and finding the bike - gone. And moreover, quite often my excuse not to use the bike to get to a destination within range, is because I don't know if there'll be anywhere safe to lock it up. Like going to Brighton - only 10 miles away for me, but more often than not I take the train... :(

If you really must have the sheffields or other stands wrapped around in chamois-leather to protect your cherished wheels, I can only propose that you take along a suitable piece of leather with you (or use the insert in your shorts - at a pinch) :lol: ...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Easy enough to carry pipe lagging, just toe strap it to your top tube....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Wheels that can't hang a bike won't survive a single mile. Refusal to hang up the bike is nothing to do with the wheels...

I'm not sure that's true, carbon is laid in a way to give strength where it's needed, it's not necessarily strong in any other way. Even if it is that doesn't stop those train hooks marking them, one made a right mess of the black coating on one of my Rigida rims. It doesn't seem much to ask that those who are responsible for designing this stuff do it in a way that doesn't cause damage.
I've been on two trains this weekend, on the first the bike couldn't go in the designated area till I'd asked for the unfolded pushchairs to be removed. The other had two touring bikes loaded, mine filled the space designed for two, there was no way another bike would have fitted in there. Before we criticise people as inconsiderate, consider the lack of consideration we (And other) rail users getting from these private companies receiving massive public subsidies.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

To be fair I had a right job trying to manoeuver a bike into and out of one of the bike hanging space on a train I used a couple of years ago (one of the electric units running Skipton-Leeds I think). And that was despite a quiet train. I think it would have been nigh on impossible if other people were getting off and on.

At one time people started buying foldable buggies rather than proper prams because they could be quickly folded away. The expectation was that you did this on public transport and popped it in the luggage rack. When did this change?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Slightly different, but decades ago, the school I went to had these new fangled racks that entailed hanging your wheel on the hooks. No one used them because they DID damage the rims. In the wind (not too different to the sway of a train) they caused, at the very least, unwanted scratches and a few students complained about buckled rims.

Trust me: it wasn't a school for snobs and certainly not bike snobs[emoji6]You wouldn't catch me hanging up my bike. But you also wouldn't catch me inconveniencing another needier passenger. I would sooner get off and get a quieter train.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:I know that some 'thoughtfully' provided cycling 'infrastructure' doesn't amount to much (especially in Warrington :lol: ), but I take my hat off to those in authority who've been considerate enough to provide a set of good quality stands (and Sheffield stands are assuredly the best design)

Actually the new stands on the station at Central are excellent. They hold the bike upright and there's lots of metal to fasten your lock too.
(And if you're daft enough or have forgotten yours then you can even slip a quid into the stand and use the lock they provide).
Shame they're only on the Liverpool side, the Manc side still has Sheffield stands.