Taking Cycling Too Seriously

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

Taking Cycling Too Seriously

Post by Jughead »

Guy on the train refused to hang his cycle in the storage area. The reason,he didn't want to ruin his carbon wheels. Young girl with a pram had to stand in the doorway. I offered to move my bike but she was too embarassed. I love that cycling is becoming popular but unfortunately we are going to attract some inconsiderate persons.
Last edited by Graham on 19 Jun 2015, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reported and edited.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Taking Cycling Too Seriously

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I will admit that those horrible hand rail things they call bike stands (upside down "U" shaped scaffold pole) I would not even pass my bike between, you see all over the town.

Wht don't they at least cover with plastic or something :?

Edited - must be loosing my marbles............
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 19 Jun 2015, 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Proper Sheffield stands are excellent... If the wheels can't cope with hanging the bike they're not good enough to use on the road either....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I see that whilst [rude word removed] is removed, the plural isn't!
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

Something tells me this bike wasnt so much ridden as walked. this guy was a walking advert for Rapha.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I will admit that those horrible hand rail things they call bike stands (upside down "U" shaped scaffold pole) I would not even pass my bike between, you see all over the town.

Wht don't they at least cover with plastic or something :?

Edited - must be loosing my marbles............

They're powder coated with black or dark green plastic here, but I put my bike on its kick stand rather than lean it against them. Why wouldn't you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Jughead wrote:Guy on the train refused to hang his cycle in the storage area. The reason,he didn't want to ruin his carbon wheels. Young girl with a pram had to stand in the doorway. I offered to move my bike but she was too embarassed. I love that cycling is becoming popular but unfortunately we are going to attract some inconsiderate persons.

Putting people on bikes will not (and never has) made saints. Some people are complete jerks, end of.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, this has got to be a 'first' - the first time I've seen anyone on a forum dissing the beloved sheffield stand! Compared to some of the **** we're expected to lock our bikes to (wheel-bending 'butterflies' and suchlike) they're a godsend. At least, my battered old steel-framed faithful doesn't complain. Bring 'em on!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Well, this has got to be a 'first' - the first time I've seen anyone on a forum dissing the beloved sheffield stand! Compared to some of the **** we're expected to lock our bikes to (wheel-bending 'butterflies' and suchlike) they're a godsend. At least, my battered old steel-framed faithful doesn't complain. Bring 'em on!

I've dissed them in the past. I think they're crap, fine for chaining an old nail to that you don't mind falling over and getting scratched.
There are better designs, just need something that holds the bike so it won't fall over without having to resort to bizarre lock combinations and techniques.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

kwackers wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Well, this has got to be a 'first' - the first time I've seen anyone on a forum dissing the beloved sheffield stand! Compared to some of the **** we're expected to lock our bikes to (wheel-bending 'butterflies' and suchlike) they're a godsend. At least, my battered old steel-framed faithful doesn't complain. Bring 'em on!

I've dissed them in the past. I think they're crap, fine for chaining an old nail to that you don't mind falling over and getting scratched.
There are better designs, just need something that holds the bike so it won't fall over without having to resort to bizarre lock combinations and techniques.

You just don't like the name do you, i bet you'd be singing the praises of a Warrington stand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

foxyrider wrote:You just don't like the name do you, i bet you'd be singing the praises of a Warrington stand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cuz I'm all over Warrington bike lanes like a tramp on chips... :wink:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

We used Virgin Trains to take our bikes to Carlisle from Kings Cross and remember hubby being very stressed over the odd contraption they used to hang the bikes almost upside down. He sat and muttered the whole journey! Bikes were fine but it was a bit of an odd affair - a fair few years ago so maybe they've rethought things.

I have to admit being a bit suspicious if those who value lumps of metal over people. Jeremy Clarkson and his ilk get lambasted about their worship of cars, but over excessive love of a bicycle isn't much better. Ok, if you've saved up to get a nice bike you want to take care of it but to put avoiding a small scratch in front of people is IMHO faintly ridiculous.

Jan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I suppose even the milder-mannered of our motorists might get a little peeved if they got to a car park to discover that their treasured wheels were to be stashed upside-down...

I recall - years ago when I was a kid - us taking the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry to France. Back in those days they had no drive-on/drive-off ferries (they did at Dover, but not at Newhaven) and all cars, including our own, were loaded and unloaded by crane. I even have a short burst of 8mm movie footage to testify to this! I remember my father - who was quite the petrolhead himself and fairly argumentative - getting very jumpy about this. And later on he claimed that the suspension had been seriously damaged. He may have had a point.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its not rocket science to design bike racks etc. To be non damaging to your bike.
All the ones I have seen wont be cuddlng my bike any time soon, even my skip trainers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Jughead wrote:Guy on the train refused to hang his cycle in the storage area. The reason,he didn't want to ruin his carbon wheels. Young girl with a pram had to stand in the doorway. I offered to move my bike but she was too embarassed. I love that cycling is becoming popular but unfortunately we are going to attract some inconsiderate persons.

Well, what's inconsiderate? Not wanting to damage a pair of expensive carbon wheels or expecting someone to do so so that a fit young lassie who happens to have a pram doesn't have to stand for a while?

If I had paid umpteen hundred for a pair of carbon wheels I wouldn't want to risk hanging them up either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?