Not even an 'are' you OK!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Re: Not even an 'are' you OK!

Post by TonyR »

Stradageek wrote:Thanks for your reply TonyR, it cheered my wife up no end.

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thankfully she came home with the Josie Dew, 'Wind in my Wheels' attitude, "I'm not letting one stupid man stop me cycling!"

There's many more than one out there trying.
TimP

Post by TimP »

In this day and age of databases it is worth reporting. Even if nothing is done, should he be involved in another accident/incident it will be there in the database so the Police know what type of person they are dealing with, not believing the driver's claims of innocence so easily.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In my neck of the woods I believe that police want you to report near passes :?
I think that this is just a ruse to make you think that they will do something, like at work when they ask you to look at or report on some silly insignificant nothing to just take you mind of lack of pay rises etc.

If they don't, wont or cant convict drivers who plough there vehicle into peds and cyclist who end up in hospital then there is little point.

Add the fact that some posters on another current post think that its always the cyclist fault and any assault should be ignored and just calm yourself............chill man............. :?

The media don't help either they are now taking to rely on facebook twitter etc to report incidents so they don't even have to leave the office..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
jardine

Post by jardine »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In my neck of the woods I believe that police want you to report near passes :?

They're possibly taking a lead from industry/construction where analysing 'near-miss' situations which would otherwise be forgotten as "no harm done, mate" means you know a lot more about how accidents are likely to happen and (one hopes) can take measures to help prevent them. Means a lot less people get hurt/killed than they did a generation ago, but I know it's easy to be cynical.

I'm sorry to hear more tales of idiots in motor vehicles- I've had a good run of late (or have got better at keeping my distance from said idiots), but I react horrendously badly to 'near misses' especially when they involve aggression from the other party- I end up shaking like a leaf. I wish people would just think about sharing the bloody roads with everyone else, whether on a Brompton or an artic...
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

jardine wrote: but I react horrendously badly to 'near misses' especially when they involve aggression from the other party- I end up shaking like a leaf. I wish people would just think about sharing the bloody roads with everyone else, whether on a Brompton or an artic...

Ditto since I was knocked off my bike a few months ago - at present my only "preventative" from shaking like a leaf (and simply giving up, chucking the bike and walking home) is to give the stiff finger (or two).

Like the woman who pulled out of a side turning in front of me in almost a copycat accident, and thought it was funny when I screamed in terror ...

..or the *** in the souped-up blue mini who couldn't get past me cycling towards the brow of a hill about 100yards from home (or he would have crashed into the pedestrian refuge), shouted at me to "Move over ..." then sat on my back wheel revving his very noisy engine ...

... or the berk in the volvo who overtook me while I was turning left, 'cos he wanted to turn left as well, and was quite shocked when he had to swerve to avoid an oncoming car (same journey as the "mini" incident above). Not as shocked as I was though.

or, or, or ... well you know the story

I no longer have a growl to the missus when these things occur, I suspect if I did the encouragement she has given me to continue cycling since the accident may cease, through sheer fright on her behalf. Maybe that's why I now get it out my my system on the spot.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Yesterday I had a bad pass from a large tipper lorry. Just about to start up a hill when it caught up and overtook me (too close) at speed, swooping in at a steep angle about two yards at most in front of me in the face of two oncoming cars, which I'd guess from what I saw of it before and after had to brake hard to avoid a collision. Unfortunately it was away too fast for to get its number or see if it went into the current railway works further down the road.

I could have braked and avoided any crash between them if it had happened in front of me as I was going uphill, but the driver of the first car could easily have had a head-on and would have been unlikely to have made it with the speeds and weights involved.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Something dodgy always seems to happen to me within the last half a mile of getting home, regardless of whether I rode 3 miles or 30 miles. That's annoying and doesn't even make any sense. I can do a ride along all different roads, no problems... as soon as I get right near my house again and I am nearly there, some guy pulls out on me, or turns left right in front of me.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
honesty

Post by honesty »

This happened to me yesterday - [youtube]f4yXr6efofs[/youtube] - not sure if its worth even reporting. I could have put the flat of my hand on the van, even with a bent elbow.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

honesty wrote:This happened to me yesterday - - not sure if its worth even reporting. I could have put the flat of my hand on the van, even with a bent elbow.

Send it to the company named on the side of the van, asking for their comments, and see what happens

BTW is that a bar-mounted camera, if so what type and how long do the batteries last? (I could do with one for my 4-hour Sunday morning teashop ride out to Earlswood, or at east the return journey).
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
honesty

Post by honesty »

Done Tha. Nothing so far. Will send a chaser in a few days I think.

Garmin virb, and I don't know as I only use it for my commute which is all of 15 minutes...
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Put it on YouTube and email the like to their MD.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

The DVLA used to sell (for £1.50 or something) the name and address of a person if you went in and posed as a wheel clamping guy (or maybe you might really be one) and say the owner of this vehicle never paid up and you need the details. Then the wheel clamping guys were turning up at people's houses threatening them and so on, with the occupier wondering where the clamp guys got their address from - the DVLA. :roll:

I just went looking for the story (it was quite a few years ago) and all I found was a 2015 story saying the DVLA themselves are clamping 60% more cars, lovely. :|

"100,000 people will be clamped this year by the DVLA compared with 60,000 the year before" - The Guardian.

People say stuff like "Why would they do that" lol. I know exactly why but I ain't getting into it here. France had the right idea in the late 1700's, although some might say that's a bit harsh. Give it 50 more years.

"...the new buyer has to tax the car even if there was several months still outstanding on the previous owner’s tax."

Do they really.

We're being chipped away at for sure. When does anything ever go the other way?!

Indeed what will it be like in 50 years if no one stands up to this sort of "frog in a pan" type stuff? Look back to the US in the 1950's and 1960's, thats how free people can be! Cops in the US used to help people change their car tyre, you had to commit a crime to be a criminal... now they just Taser™ people left right and centre, even killing some of them, for no real reason except they can. A Taser™ is of course a "non-lethal weapon" that... kills people, right. :roll:

Sorry if this is off topic but people were talking about licence plates. :P
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Manc33 wrote:Something dodgy always seems to happen to me within the last half a mile of getting home, regardless of whether I rode 3 miles or 30 miles. That's annoying and doesn't even make any sense. I can do a ride along all different roads, no problems... as soon as I get right near my house again and I am nearly there, some guy pulls out on me, or turns left right in front of me.

A coincidence? Found exactly the same, a few times recently. Getting amost home, thinking that driving hasn't been too bad, when you get a couple of stupid incidents. Anyone explain it?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Jughead wrote:Actually not. Last time I got hit the police didn't even want to see my video. I was told to seek compensation through insurance. I was told they did not think it was deliberate so no criminal offense

Bit in bold: that worries me slightly. So,if I run someone over in my car the police won't investigate as long as it wasn't deliberate? Should cut down the death by dangerous driving numbers at least. "Sorry officer, but it wasn't deliberate". "That's alright son, off you go"
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
jardine

Post by jardine »

Phil Fouracre wrote:
Manc33 wrote:Something dodgy always seems to happen to me within the last half a mile of getting home, regardless of whether I rode 3 miles or 30 miles. That's annoying and doesn't even make any sense. I can do a ride along all different roads, no problems... as soon as I get right near my house again and I am nearly there, some guy pulls out on me, or turns left right in front of me.

A coincidence? Found exactly the same, a few times recently. Getting amost home, thinking that driving hasn't been too bad, when you get a couple of stupid incidents. Anyone explain it?

Hasn't this actually been found to be statistically quite significant, that accidents happen close to home more often than they should?

I used to ride motorbikes a lot and bicycles less, and used to worry more about statistics. Since I bust my back falling off a motorbike I this is reversed and I seem to pay more attention to situational awareness and enjoying using the road than statistics... :D