Not even an 'are' you OK!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

Not even an 'are' you OK!

Post by Jughead »

Hit by a car again. Lots of people there to help me off the road making sure I was fine. Driver came over to say he has 2 witnesses that will testify that didn't hit me. Someone took his reg plate but you know something, no point, the police dont protect citizens who cycle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Not even an 'are' you OK!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If he did not hit you then why did he stop :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

Probably checked his X5 for scratches.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

will sue u for scratching his car.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

Nah, I didnt hit him seemingly.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jughead wrote:Nah, I didnt hit him seemingly.

You or bike :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Then he can sue the bike. :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jughead wrote:Hit by a car again. Lots of people there to help me off the road making sure I was fine. Driver came over to say he has 2 witnesses that will testify that didn't hit me. Someone took his reg plate but you know something, no point, the police dont protect citizens who cycle.

Yes it *IS* worth reporting.

Particularly if you have other witnesses...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Jughead wrote:Hit by a car again. Lots of people there to help me off the road making sure I was fine. Driver came over to say he has 2 witnesses that will testify that didn't hit me.

Well it's lucky you have two witnesses who said you didn't put a brick through his window tomorrow. :lol:
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Unless you are injured you have no right to request police attendance at the scene. But of course they only have your word to go on. If the Police turn up it means they can take down details of independent witnesses, and it means they might breathalize the driver.
I should coco.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Jughead wrote:Hit by a car again. Lots of people there to help me off the road making sure I was fine. Driver came over to say he has 2 witnesses that will testify that didn't hit me. Someone took his reg plate but you know something, no point, the police dont protect citizens who cycle.

Yes it *IS* worth reporting.

Particularly if you have other witnesses...

Actually not. Last time I got hit the police didn't even want to see my video. I was told to seek compensation through insurance. I was told they did not think it was deliberate so no criminal offense
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

In my recent accident the attending police officer explained that his job easn't to assign blame, but to gather evidence to decide if an offence might have been committed, check the roadworthiness of any vehicles involved, breathalyse the drivers etc.. The blame part of it is down to the insurance companies.

Then informed me that the driver of the offending vehicle would be recommended for prosecution :D
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Just had a call from my very shaken wife. A guy slowed approaching a mini roundabout where she was turning right so she ignored that fact that she couldn't eyeball him properly because of the glare from his windscreen.

Next second he accelerated hard and only hit the brakes because his passengers both screamed. The car stopped 4" short of my terrified wife..... and the response.... he impatiently waved at her to get out of the way then drove off!

My wife is 4'10" tall and pushing 60yrs old, hardly threatening; but I suppose an apology is a lot to ask
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Had three in the past few days. First was seeing a young woman on a cycle path hit by a post office van pulling out of a drive. She said she was OK and didn't need a witness so I carried on. Then there was the taxi driver that waved at me as he pulled out of a side road across me and the old lady who carried on pulling out across me looking at me with a look of absolute surprise on her face throughout.

Mad drivers and Englishmen me thinks.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Thanks for your reply TonyR, it cheered my wife up no end.

Thankfully she came home with the Josie Dew, 'Wind in my Wheels' attitude, "I'm not letting one stupid man stop me cycling!"

Cheers

Stradageek