woman eating cereal while driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

woman eating cereal while driving

Post by mercalia »

Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jun 2015, 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
tykeboy2003

Re: woman eating ceral while driving

Post by tykeboy2003 »

One morning I was driving on the M42 and glanced to my right to see the driver steering with his knees, shaving with an electric shaver using the driving mirror. This was in 2 lanes of solid traffic doing 60mph.

Eating cereals does not surprise me.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Edit: Link removed as threads now merged
Last edited by gaz on 21 Jun 2015, 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I remember seeing an HGV driver being interviewed on TV talking about how much you see going on from an HGV cab and his "most amazing" was a woman driving along breast feeding her baby. Would it be un-PC to be critical of that or would a negative comment enrage the Social Media Crowd.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:I remember seeing an HGV driver being interviewed on TV talking about how much you see going on from an HGV cab and his "most amazing" was a woman driving along breast feeding her baby. Would it be un-PC to be critical of that or would a negative comment enrage the Social Media Crowd.

Ian

You spoiled a reasonable comment by adding the bit in italics.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Worst of it is that the driver shrugging her shoulders when challenged,indicates that she feels perfectly justified in doing what she does.
Similarly so phone using drivers,speeding,etc,etc.

The culture and attitude needs to change,unless the government and judiciary,formalise that with an outright war on such behaviour things won't improve.
Elsewhere on the forum Vantage,states "they've won" meaning the motorist has free rein to do as they please.
That's the biggest problem facing law abiding road users,there is non or little application of the law on the roads unless there's a fatality or someone is badly injured.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Jun 2015, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So we apply gender equality to this issue, I must tell you I saw a fellow swerve off the M32 y'day morning, onto the slip road at Junction 1, busily engaged in personal grooming, using the rear view mirror to examine the cut of his stubble... (you'll understand too, that I was driving in my car at the time!)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Wouldn't mind betting she does it every day - looks very organised in there!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

reohn2 wrote:The culture and attitude needs to change,unless the government and judiciary,formalise that with an outright war on such behaviour things won't improve.

...there is non or little application of the law

Culture and attitude do need to change, but I don't think you'll ever achieve it using the law.

Speed cameras are a cheap, cost effective way of enforcing speed limits on an industrial scale, but far from making drivers compliant they just engender a sense of indignant injustice and fury, because of the very sense of entitlement that you're trying to deal with. You can't enforce a law that people don't accept is just, so you have to start by persuading them the law is just first. I've written before about the Chief Constable who said that they keep law and order by consent not by force, and this is an example.

When psychologists researched educating people about helping strangers they found that people learnt little or nothing unless the information was presented by a well-respected role-model. I think the same might work here.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

foxyrider wrote:Wouldn't mind betting she does it every day - looks very organised in there!

I am always eating on the go. Once I regularly had corn flakes and marzipan for beakfast and 3 bottles of coconut water. There was many time I nearly hit folk because I was eating. I can't say I am going to stop any time soon.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Meanwhile, in €uropean news, one driver in Spain has been nicked for chewing his nails and another for chewing gum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... wheel.html
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

To get the edge on performace I never over look anything. Chewing gum is where it is at http://www.outsideonline.com/1784066/wi ... erformance
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

axel_knutt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The culture and attitude needs to change,unless the government and judiciary,formalise that with an outright war on such behaviour things won't improve.

...there is non or little application of the law

Culture and attitude do need to change, but I don't think you'll ever achieve it using the law.

Speed cameras are a cheap, cost effective way of enforcing speed limits on an industrial scale, but far from making drivers compliant they just engender a sense of indignant injustice and fury, because of the very sense of entitlement that you're trying to deal with. You can't enforce a law that people don't accept is just, so you have to start by persuading them the law is just first. I've written before about the Chief Constable who said that they keep law and order by consent not by force, and this is an example.

When psychologists researched educating people about helping strangers they found that people learnt little or nothing unless the information was presented by a well-respected role-model. I think the same might work here.

The problem we have is that some 'role models' are giving exactly the opposite signals. And that includes the judiciary and some parts of some police forces.
People didn't accept the drink-drive laws beforehand, or the seatbelt laws. What gets them (largely) observed is that people got punished for breaking them as well as the public information films.
Speeding laws are just in principle, but speed cameras where speed signs are obscured (and a lot are right now because councils aren't cutting back foliage) or where speeds change every few yards in areas with busy junctions are not so fair. I'm more in favour of average speed monitoring over longer sections, as it demolishes the argument that cameras cause people to slam on the brakes for a few yards and then speed up again, possibly even causing an accident (though if they and other drivers weren't speeding in the first place, of course, it wouldn't).
Maybe when GPS is in all cars and centrally logged these arguments will finally stop. But the sheer amount of speeding I see every time I drive suggests we need a lot more enforcement, of whatever sort. Some people must be getting away with it for years on end before they are caught.
jqdsffjdsoge

Post by jqdsffjdsoge »

Flinders wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I remember seeing an HGV driver being interviewed on TV talking about how much you see going on from an HGV cab and his "most amazing" was a woman driving along breast feeding her baby. Would it be un-PC to be critical of that or would a negative comment enrage the Social Media Crowd.

Ian

You spoiled a reasonable comment by adding the bit in italics.

Well no. He didn't. He just pointed out the truth: that in today's misandric Britain, it is almost forbidden to criticize women in any way.
--
Just a bloke
2008 Surly LHT | 2013 Surly LHT | 2014 Genesis Flyer | 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

Sarah Vine (wife of Michael Gove) has written a piece in the Daily Wail that is in defence of eating, applying make-up etc and calling cyclists who use head-cams "Cyclist Stasi". Although I hope her tongue was firmly in her cheek (but she did marry Michael Gove, so you have to doubt her decision making skills) the piece has elicited the usual response from the "I pay road tax and cyclists always run red lights" brigade.

For those of you with strong stomachs - here's the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130690/SARAH-VINE-says-real-menaces-roads-vigilantes-Lycra-filming-move.html