Glasgow commuter cyclists - report the fault

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bobbyg

Glasgow commuter cyclists - report the fault

Post by bobbyg »

I am back on my fair-weather commuting from Bellshill to Glasgow and have noticed (surprise surprise) loads of issues with potholes, broken tarmac, drainers etc.
I downloaded the Glasgow App from here https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3404 and also downloaded the App to my phone.

It is quite a good system, very easy to log issues, you can take and upload photos if you want and it keeps a record of all your logs (very useful).

Since I started a couple of weeks ago I have noticed the potholes next to the drainers opposite The Dogs Trust have been filled in and the whole road surface on London Road at the junction before you get to the police station has been relaid. And also more potholes further up London Road have been filled in.

All of these were in my reports submitted, I am not claiming that they were all done purely due to these, it may well be that they were on the list to be done anyway, but I think its only right that where you see issues that are dangerous to cyclists, that you take the couple of mins to report them.

If only North Lanarkshire Council had as good a system......
cheesypeeps

Re: Glasgow commuter cyclists - report the fault

Post by cheesypeeps »

South Lanarkshire does! I commonly report pot holes and usually within a month they are dealt with, depending on the pothole depth. I understand once it is reported someone has to go out and assess it. Once assessed it is prioritised. I think the reporting system is great. Let's face it, the roads department can't be everywhere and we all need to take some responsibility to make things better within our communities :)
using hovercraft full of eels.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Stirling isn't great.
mjr

Post by mjr »

One app per council doesn't scale, plus many apps suck battery and data and can you even check the source code to find out what it's doing with your phone? Potentially an ideal way for councils to keep tabs on local campaigners.

Also, are the fault reports published anywhere? So if you damage yourself or your bike on a known fault that they've failed to fix in a timely manner as required by law, would you know it was known?

I think it's better to use the semi-independent www.fixmystreet.com mobile web interface.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

>>can you even check the source code to find out what it's doing with your phone? Potentially an ideal way for councils to keep tabs on local campaigners.

Jeez, if I worried about this I wouldn't have a smart phone.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bobbyg wrote:>>can you even check the source code to find out what it's doing with your phone? Potentially an ideal way for councils to keep tabs on local campaigners.

Jeez, if I worried about this I wouldn't have a smart phone.

My approach is simply not to install unreviewed junk from local government (or anywhere, for that matter) on my smart phone. Your approach seems to be BOGU. Each to their own! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

I'm Motherwell to Glasgow (sometimes via Coatbridge) Im not a betting man but something tells me that North Lanarkshire spend the least amount on cycling infrastructure in the UK. Ever tried looking for places to lock your bike up in Motherwell, Airdrie, Coatbridge, .... ? micturate poor. although they did get the Perl Izumi race in Motherwell a couple of weeks again. Then the cameras were there. North Lanarkshire like publicity.
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

Hah foolish two-wheeled imperialists! The Peoples Republic of NorthLan will not pander to your capitalistic mode of transport. Vis a vis the bulldozing of Motherwell town centre in the mid 70s to bring you the glorious one-way (at that time), never-quite-finished ring road and the associated underpasses of freedom and liberation.

Have to say I agree that North Lanarkshire is very poor with cyclists and the roads in general. Not just potholes but tarmac surfaces (especially at roundabouts) that give the surface of the moon a good run for its money and which would burst the inner tubes of a Challenger tank. There are the cycle lanes at Ravenscraig but that's all that springs to mind. Not much in the way of retro-fitting cycling facilities.