Reasons to take cycling tools on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Reasons to take cycling tools on the road....

Post by Tonyf33 »

1. you can lend it out to a cat2 rider in a criterium so he can sort his saddle out...lol

Colin_P

Re: Reasons to take cycling tools on the road....

Post by Colin_P »

2, For the pleasant sound of them rattling and jingling about in your saddle bag.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've generally found more use for my tools, helping other people than on my own bike.

Over the winter, I had a chain break, but I didn't have my chain tool with, so popped into the closest bike shop and bought one and a quick link. I've changed inner tubes on the road once in the last year. I've helped other people with punctures, twice, and fixed the brakes on a neighbor boy's bike after he almost crashed into me coming down from a local mountain biking path.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Out this morning I had my 6th puncture this year. I'd also forgot my glasses and my weinnman brake centering socket. Struggled to check the tyre for glass, so patched tube rather than chance puncturing a new tube in case glass still in there. Once wheel inserted the brake would not centre. I ended up undoing rear brake and riding slowly home using front brake only. Oh I also forgot my traditional multi nut spanner that this bike needs. I must have been stopped at the side of that busy country road for a good 20 mins struggling. Two roadies came past me from different directions and neither of them stopped and asked if I had everything.
Makes you wonder.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I don't think it's the type of bike you ride (or vehicle you drive) but the type of person, I could be on my carbon bike chipping along at a fair old rate and if I saw someone by the side of the road I'd ask if they were 'ok' or needed a hand. Even if I didn't have the tool required if they were stranded in the middle of no-where without a phone or able to get assistance you'd do the right thing surely?
It's a reflection of the 'don't give a damn about anyone else' society that prevails far too often. :(
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Tonyf33 wrote:I don't think it's the type of bike you ride (or vehicle you drive) but the type of person, I could be on my carbon bike chipping along at a fair old rate and if I saw someone by the side of the road I'd ask if they were 'ok' or needed a hand. Even if I didn't have the tool required if they were stranded in the middle of no-where without a phone or able to get assistance you'd do the right thing surely?
It's a reflection of the 'don't give a damn about anyone else' society that prevails far too often. :(

I agree. What bugs me, apart from my own stupidity for forgetting tools is that the two selfish gits were in their 50s or 60s. I thought my generation had more about them. I've stopped a few times in that area and fixed or helped fix bikes for others. Wonder if we are all getting more miserable? :(
I'm also, supported by this incident, being attracted to just owning one or two similar bikes. Maintaining bikes and keeping seperate toolkits for each, plus remembering when I changed this or that on the various steeds, seems at times [when you are stood at the side of the road] more trouble than it is worth.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I actually ride out on my usual circular route with nothing more than a drinks bottle and the front door key on occasion, I like a bit of risk..lol
I would though feel really torn if someone stopped and asked me if I needed help, more likely to say I decided to come out without tools/tube so it should be down to me to get my own way back. If they insist then fine, if they roll on I'm not going to die, just a long walk home.. 8)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Tonyf33 wrote:I actually ride out on my usual circular route with nothing more than a drinks bottle and the front door key on occasion, I like a bit of risk..lol
I would though feel really torn if someone stopped and asked me if I needed help, more likely to say I decided to come out without tools/tube so it should be down to me to get my own way back. If they insist then fine, if they roll on I'm not going to die, just a long walk home.. 8)

Sod the risk. A twenty mile walk is out of the question for me. Though it's rare it would come to that. I'd ring a cab first. Why would you decline the offer of help if it gets you roling again? I'm quite happy to accept help. I'm not that proud. I'm also happy to give it. :)
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

As a circular ride I wouldn't be that far away from home (maybe 5 miles tops) so the 'risk' in itself is minimal considering the worst thing that would happen would be a puncture (yeah famous last words :lol: ).
On pretty much any other ride I'd take a tool/pump/tube/levers out with me but riding without all that 'stuff' is a great feeling :D