Day rides around Florence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RobYoungson

Day rides around Florence

Post by RobYoungson »

Hi, Thanks for reading.

want to know people's experience of Tuscan cycling!?

My partner and I are spending the first two weeks of September in beautiful Florence. Our itinerary is to get up early most mornings and do a decent length ride in to the (admittedly quite hilly) countryside before getting back for the hottest part of the day and enjoy afternoons/evenings in the city. At least a couple of full day rides as well as rest days.

I was last in Florence aged 11 and my partner hasn't been.

On the forum lots of talk of touring via Florence/ Siena but we want any recommendations for loops from city out and back, any bike cafes or shops with local knowledge worth talking to on arrival and anyones experiences, we aren't strong climbers but will give anything a crack in our granny gears. (will be on our cyclocross giant tcx slr's) so decent single track/trail recommendations also welcome! Also any guides? or links to people's garmin/strava routes perhaps?

Many thanks,

Rob
reohn2

Re: Day rides around Florence

Post by reohn2 »

TBH I wouldn't base myself in Florence,it's a honey pot tourist mad house in the summer months.But if you've already booked there's not a lot you can do.
If you haven't Siena is more relaxed,I can't offer any routes but a map of the smaller roads will give all the information you need,if you're on road bikes with narrow tyres stick to tarmac but touring bikes with 32mm+ tyres will handle the strada bianche(white gravel roads)easily enough,these back roads take you into some lovely scenery away from the more used roads though TBH away from the city roads are usually quite and drivers are courteous and mindful of cyclists IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RobYoungson

Re: Day rides around Florence

Post by RobYoungson »

Thanks reohn2,

We have booked flights but not accommodation yet so basing ourselves in Siena after a stop over in Florence might be a nice option.

We are on cyclocross bikes so those strada bianche sound more than doable. Glad to hear about the local drivers, coming from London that will be a nice change.

Thanks,

Rob