Bus passes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Bus passes

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:I've had my bus pass for a couple of years now. To be honest ive only used it a few times, as i usually drive into town with mrs rjb who doesnt qualify for hers until the end of next year. When she gets hers we plan to use them a bit more frequently for day trips etc but will still use the car for the main grocery shop. Officially the bus pass can only be used during off peak times, down here in Somerset thats 9.00am - 11.00pm and if like us you live in a rural location bus services can stop at 6pm and not run on sundays. BTW Can people who live outside of London get a freedom pass?

no the multi use - bus/train/tubepass ( is an oyster card) only for those who live in Greater London. Which is strange as I thought my sister said she used her "bus pass" ( she lives nr Brighton ) on the tubes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mercalia wrote:
rjb wrote:I've had my bus pass for a couple of years now. To be honest ive only used it a few times, as i usually drive into town with mrs rjb who doesnt qualify for hers until the end of next year. When she gets hers we plan to use them a bit more frequently for day trips etc but will still use the car for the main grocery shop. Officially the bus pass can only be used during off peak times, down here in Somerset thats 9.00am - 11.00pm and if like us you live in a rural location bus services can stop at 6pm and not run on sundays. BTW Can people who live outside of London get a freedom pass?

no the multi use - bus/train/tubepass ( is an oyster card) only for those who live in Greater London. Which is strange as I thought my sister said she used her "bus pass" ( she lives nr Brighton ) on the tubes.
Freedom pass (buses/trains/underground) can only be used for travel within the GLC and by those living in the GLC. The pass also allows holders to travel free nationally ie England on bus services. The age limit is being raised as per Osborne's plan :evil: . However those living within the GLC can obtain an Oyster plus card for free travel within the GLC from age 60, but this cannot be used outside the area. Anyone who has an English bus pass can travel free on buses in London as well as elsewhere in England.

I have a bus pass, but for me it doesn't curtail any cycling. I use walking, bus, cycling, train and a car as a means of transport.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can't have mine yet, and I'm over 62.
Can't get one these days until you reach state pension age. However, because I'm "old", I get mine later this year.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y/age
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

its the female age they use dont they? not the male pension age
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

johncarnie wrote:I've got a bus shelter just outside my house - trouble is the last bus was 10 years ago!

I have one outside my house as well. The local council refurbished it last year at great expense, 3 men 4 days. No buses, in the 3 years I have lived here. I am the only one that uses it, waiting for my lift to work. So I have had an indirect council tax rebate. :D

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
RJS

Post by RJS »

I've had mine nearly 8 years, occasional use it if I don't feel like cycling, or the weather's bad, I'd use it more if Mrs RJS was old enough to have one, it's cheaper to use the car, (or motor bike) than pay bus fares. Going for a day out with my sister on Wednesday, (she has recently got her pass), back to the town we grew up in, (Salcombe). But no, it doesn't mean I cycle less.
Cheers, Rob.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Neilo wrote:
johncarnie wrote:I've got a bus shelter just outside my house - trouble is the last bus was 10 years ago!

I have one outside my house as well. The local council refurbished it last year at great expense, 3 men 4 days. No buses, in the 3 years I have lived here. I am the only one that uses it, waiting for my lift to work. So I have had an indirect council tax rebate. :D

Neil

You must tell us which council is wasting tax payers money on shelters that dont serve any buses?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Currently do not qualify (yet), my Son does, depends on the circumstances whether i take the bus or drive into Bolton, I guess if i have a free pass i might use the bus more. But currently at the times i go to Bolton i can drive in quicker, can get 2 hours free parking, and am often going on somewhere else anyway .....

Fylbike recently qualified for a Rail Pass, so we investigated getting one and decided it was not worth it..... we occasionally use the local train service into Manchester, we get GMP day saver anyway, the rail pass costs £30 and he would only get 1/3 off the rail ticket, he would have to make 40 journeys to make it worthwhile.... we do not go into Manchester that often.... :lol:
I guess if he was retired and we decided to go further afield by train it might be worth it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:its the female age they use dont they? not the male pension age
They are going to be the same at aged 66.
I've scraped through at 65 (born 1952), but Mrs Mick F is going to be 66. (born 1956)
Mick F. Cornwall
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

mercalia wrote:
Neilo wrote:

Neil

You must tell us which council is wasting tax payers money on shelters that dont serve any buses?

Neath Port Talbot
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
I've scraped through at 65 (born 1952), but Mrs Mick F is going to be 66. (born 1956)

#
eh 65? I am the same age born 1952 but got mine last march when 62.5, before had the London only 60+ card
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Mercalia: You lucky B! You get free tube travel! When I'm down in London I'm consigned to buses,my bus pass refused by Tube staff and Duffer Boris. Guess you can travel gratis up here,but I have restrictions. Discrimination anyone?

I have a bus pass. Infrequently use it. Waiting for a bus that's invariably late or crowded and when I can get on my bike: no thanks. I also think of my bike into town as a free gyrm pass without haven't to pay Duncan Ballantyne my wages(puts a smile on my face anyways).

Sometimes use it when away to save a few bob. It gives me some small concession to the local cinema. Sometimes a little embarrassed to use it should a younger member of the opposite sex be following me on the bus to town(such vanity! Crazy!) Would love to see Sir Mick J and Sir Paul creep on before me,(am younger than those two codgers!)

At present got a pleasant commute into town by bike. Move closer and I'd lose the commute. Further away...and a nightmare bus journey!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:

#
eh 65? I am the same age born 1952 but got mine last march when 62.5, before had the London only 60+ card
I was referring the the OAP age.

Bus Passes used to be available from age 60, but over the next few years that is going to change to the OAP age.
I'm a Nov '52 baby and I'm entitled to my Bus Pass next month. I'll be 62y 8m old.

My OAP will start on my 65th birthday.
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y/age
Mrs Mick F is a March '56 baby and her OP won't start until her 66th birthday when I'll be nearly 70. We had planned to get our OAPs in the same year, but that's now gone out the window! :oops:

You can get a "Senior" railcard from age 60 even now and other senior benefits in shops etc too.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tyreon wrote:Mercalia: You lucky B! You get free tube travel! When I'm down in London I'm consigned to buses,my bus pass refused by Tube staff and Duffer Boris. Guess you can travel gratis up here,but I have restrictions. Discrimination anyone?

well the buses in london not that bad? I often use them as I live in South London and many bus stops have those electronic boards telling u when the next will come or u can use your mobile to find out. I think some counties have their own additional perks like we have in London over and above the free bus? I suppose we should think our selves lucky that Osborne is frightened to take on the oaps and that the bus pass isnt in the cuts. Has saved me lots of money.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Mercalia: I miss the old(e) days: you knew where you were. In 60s London you could always be assured of some indifference by transport staff or good olde abuse. Nowadays all transport staff are so pleasant. That's unnerving. I think it's good to have a bust-up nowanagain. Uk is definitely changing,boiled sweets to rot yer teeth...we had good times!!